The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

I'm sure most us appreciate a delicious ale in a local hostelry from time to time so I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to such fine establishments. I think Birmingham and the wider West Midlands has a fantastic choice of public houses and there are so many! So, what are your favourites? Here are some of mine:

The Wellington - Birmingham City Centre

A pub thread wouldn't be complete without this place. Its a traditional no nonsense pub with a fantastic selection of ales and lagers, Plus it even has a nice roof terrace now. 

21234013.jpg

The Vine Inn - Five Ways/Ladywood

This has been a semi regular Friday after work destination for a few years now. Not the greatest selection of lagers and ales, but friendly staff, local 'characters' who drink in there, big screen TVs and the famous 'chip butty'. The picture below was from the World Cup in 2010 and I was there that day (I think I was lurking at the back!)

the-vine-inn.jpg  

The Highfield - Edgbaston (opposite Simpsons restaurant)

Slightly more up market but an occasional lunchtime haunt, this has a fine selection of alcohol and very nice food. Also a good atmosphere after work on a Friday

24-The-Highfield-03-320x250.jpg

• Like 3

The Old Joint Stock is great. Took some clients there recently and they were impressed. The only thing better than the exterior, is the imterior!

old-joint-stock.jpg

the-old-joint-stock-pub.jpg

c9f659a63e4bf1274c02ad4f58448e86.jpg

• Like 3

Snobs

Bigged up the new one to my mates, went to the old one countless times but I was the only one who'd been to the new one, did the double header, Friday night drinking in the bar and grill, which is good but not snobs, went in the club as soon as it opened, bout 8 of us, the only people in there, DJ clocked us straight away and spent about an hour playing oasis, roses, phonics etc was brilliant, went in on the Saturday night and it was horrific, absolutely packed in there, took about 25 mins to get served, spent about 45 minutes in there, was pissed off when Kanye came on, walked out when they played the script or some other pop nonsense

Snobs

Bigged up the new one to my mates, went to the old one countless times but I was the only one who'd been to the new one, did the double header, Friday night drinking in the bar and grill, which is good but not snobs, went in the club as soon as it opened, bout 8 of us, the only people in there, DJ clocked us straight away and spent about an hour playing oasis, roses, phonics etc was brilliant, went in on the Saturday night and it was horrific, absolutely packed in there, took about 25 mins to get served, spent about 45 minutes in there, was pissed off when Kanye came on, walked out when they played the script or some other pop nonsense

I haven't been to the new one yet, I think you'll struggle to recreate the old Snobs no matter how hard you try

agree, the mentality has gone, the cheap drinks have gone (i think) the £1 bottle vending machine has gone, the bottle bucket bin outside the gents which you could be sick in if there was a queue in there has gone, most importantly my youth and exuberance has gone :( 

sunflower lounge has had a make over too and i couldnt work out if it was for the better, nearly bloody killed myself on the plinth around the bar

Can't see a mention for The Lamp Tavern in Southside/Digbeth, a tiny little boozer with a great gaffer.

The Bull & Bladder in Brierly Hill is the HQ of Bathams, and quickly became a favourite pilgrimage when visiting my folks.

In London I'd recommend none to a West Midlander. They have NO IDEA how to keep their beer. Nice pubs everywhere, sure. Shit beer.

The Sam Smith's pubs are about the only place I can consistantly get a good pint. Failing that, The Prince of Wales in Highgate is a great pub with all the characters from the village, sometimes spoiled by a dodgy pint.

Can't see a mention for The Lamp Tavern in Southside/Digbeth, a tiny little boozer with a great gaffer.

The Bull & Bladder in Brierly Hill is the HQ of Bathams, and quickly became a favourite pilgrimage when visiting my folks.

In London I'd recommend none to a West Midlander. They have NO IDEA how to keep their beer. Nice pubs everywhere, sure. Shit beer.

The Sam Smith's pubs are about the only place I can consistantly get a good pint. Failing that, The Prince of Wales in Highgate is a great pub with all the characters from the village, sometimes spoiled by a dodgy pint.

Bull and Bladder, you a yam yam living in exile?

Hey man, just because it's in Yammer territory, doesn't mean I speak back to front!

I'm an Edgbastonian *flicks hair in mock poshness*

Snobs

Big Wednesday was the only night to go to the old one in the first place, I have the image of the new Snobs on a Saturday night being like the old Bakers in Five Ways

The Bull & Bladder in Brierley Hill is the HQ of Bathams, and quickly became a favourite pilgrimage when visiting my folks.

My local :thumb:

Edited by Designer1

Can't see a mention for The Lamp Tavern in Southside/Digbeth, a tiny little boozer with a great gaffer.The Bull & Bladder in Brierly Hill is the HQ of Bathams, and quickly became a favourite pilgrimage when visiting my folks.

Hey man, just because it's in Yammer territory, doesn't mean I speak back to front!

I'm an Edgbastonian *flicks hair in mock poshness*

Definitely something a Yam Yam would say :)

The Bull & Bladder in Brierley Hill is the HQ of Bathams, and quickly became a favourite pilgrimage when visiting my folks.

My local :thumb:

Geographically, shouldn't it be the Corn Exchange? I can see you drinking in there mate, Carling tops and Blue WKD [emoji1]

Â