The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm running a work Pub Crawl next month that starts there.  Looking forward to it.

Quite empty when we got there - about 4pm. Mind you, most people would still be working. By 6pm it was rammed... few interesting looking characters. Worked out why - Elton John was on at the NIA, so a lot of people having pre concert drinks! I thought pink starry sunglasses were back in vogue for a while! :) 

• Haha 1

Apparently the Lord Clifden has closed down.

Not entirely surprised, it's been a shadow of it's former self.  It's like the owners looked at what it was, noted it's success and then decided to take it apart piece by piece.

Interestingly it's owned by Laine Pubs and Breweries who are in turn owned by Fortress Investments.

Someone needs to have a word with Wes Edens because this used to be a great pre match venue back in the day.

• Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 13/06/2023 at 09:43, sidcow said:

Apparently the Lord Clifden has closed down.

Bosses are saying it is only temporary and will be open soon enough. Although their socials haven't been updated in a while apparently. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the famous and iconic black country pub, The Crooked House, in Himley, is no more. 

Recently shut and sold by Marstons, it has now been burned down overnight :(

• Sad 4

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Looks like the famous and iconic black country pub, The Crooked House, in Himley, is no more. 

Recently shut and sold by Marstons, it has now been burned down overnight :(

Just sold for redevelopment. I'm not one to jump to conclusions but holy hell, this one smells fishy.

Glad I got to visit it once at least :(

Yeah the conspiracy theorists are saying insurance job. Not sure what they mean by that. The new owners bought it and then burned it because they couldn’t get planning permission?

Could equally have been someone really disgruntled that a famous Black Country landmark was sold off to be converted to a private residence and decided to take matters into their own hands?

Timing is definitely really fishy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Yeah the conspiracy theorists are saying insurance job. Not sure what they mean by that. The new owners bought it and then burned it because they couldn’t get planning permission?

Could equally have been someone really disgruntled that a famous Black Country landmark was sold off to be converted to a private residence and decided to take matters into their own hands?

Timing is definitely really fishy.

It was a listed building. They may have just wanted the land to build on - apartments or a retirement 'village' at a guess

• Like 1

Every single time a listed building gets bought its on fire within a year. Such a tragedy. These old buildings, they just go up like that when the new owners come in, it's such a shame.

Anywho any bets for when the Sutton Empire goes up in smoke?

• Like 1

Would have been great to have moved the Crooked House to the Black Country Museum. Great place for local nostalgia.

My parents live just up the road from the Crooked House and plenty of rumours of foul play for insurance purposes. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

My parents live just up the road from the Crooked House and plenty of rumours of foul play for insurance purposes. 

Inevitably, but there will be zero evidence yet. Merely idle speculation which gets passed on and goes viral. 

Big shame the Black Country Museum didn't bag it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Anywho any bets for when the Sutton Empire goes up in smoke?

It'll come down by hook or crook. The Dudley Hippodrome is being pulled down, sanctioned by the council. Same era I believe.

Went to the Victoria pub in John Bright St yesterday for my stag do and had a great time DRINKING IN TOWN MATE 😁

Pub itself looks like a luvvie pre theatre place, near the Alex theatre and I'd say more for the serious ale drinkers than the broad street poseurs. Enjoyed it immensely 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Went to the Victoria pub in John Bright St yesterday for my stag do and had a great time DRINKING IN TOWN MATE 😁

Pub itself looks like a luvvie pre theatre place, near the Alex theatre and I'd say more for the serious ale drinkers than the broad street poseurs. Enjoyed it immensely 

Great pub.  Used to be my lunchtime boozer for years. 

I told my son about a visit I had there in the late 80s as he was going there. 

I went downstairs to the toilets fairly oblivious to my surroundings after several beers.  Suddenly realised I was pissing in the middle urinal and left and right of me were 2 traditional gay blokes.  The full YMCA gay biker outfit with the handlebar mistouches, flat leather caps etc. Was like walking into the blue oyster bar.   18 year old me was shitting bricks. 

Anyway my lad was telling his mate this story in the same downstairs toilet when some bloke in a similar biker outfit came out of the cubicle and told them the story had cracked him up. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

When I went to see Frankie Boyle at the Alex a few weeks ago (on a Monday night) I was telling my mate about the Victoria and how we should go there, and how good it is. So, we meet at Brewdog, have a couple then off to the Victoria... only its shut! Doesn't open on a Monday :(  Had to have a can of luke warm Budweiser in the Alex instead.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Great pub.  Used to be my lunchtime boozer for years. 

I told my son about a visit I had there in the late 80s as he was going there. 

I went downstairs to the toilets fairly oblivious to my surroundings after several beers.  Suddenly realised I was pissing in the middle urinal and left and right of me were 2 traditional gay blokes.  The full YMCA gay biker outfit with the handlebar mistouches, flat leather caps etc. Was like walking into the blue oyster bar.  

Aah that makes sense now. After my twelfth pint I thought I was hallucinating when a bearded bloke in a dress walked out of the gents !

Â