The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

On 07/04/2023 at 22:20, VillaChris said:

Pretty busy although I prefer the downstairs section by the canal.

Got a Birthday coming up so was thinking of going to this pub just outside of Kingsbury. Not sure if it's been covered before on this thread but guess @Xela can always help out if he's hungry:

spacer.png

They have a steak night on a Thursday so will try it out in a few weeks.

They have two menus, a standard pub one and an Indian one.  Can definitely vouch for the Indian food there

• Thanks 1

My folks have a new favourite pub - they frequent it twice a week for lunch. The Wheel at Worfield. Not sure if you know it @Mark Albrighton?

Food is very good apparently and reasonably priced. 

Vlo2Fjs.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

My folks have a new favourite pub - they frequent it twice a week for lunch. The Wheel at Worfield. Not sure if you know it @Mark Albrighton?

Food is very good apparently and reasonably priced. 

Vlo2Fjs.jpg

I know it, driven past it many times to get to Bridgnorth. However, I’ve not been in.

The Inn at Shipley is a five minute drive from there, again not been in but I believe it’s well thought of - it’s a Brunning & Price pub and they’re normally a good standard for these gastro pubs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I know it, driven past it many times to get to Bridgnorth. However, I’ve not been in.

The Inn at Shipley is a five minute drive from there, again not been in but I believe it’s well thought of - it’s a Brunning & Price pub and they’re normally a good standard for these gastro pubs.

Yes, they use that a fair bit as well. Dad likes the Inn at Shipley but a bit pricier so don't go as often. 

They tend to go to The Down on Ludlow Road, Bridgnorth as well, plus if they want a Sunday dinner they tend to head to The Raven in Much Wenlock. 

They eat out more than Michael Winner did! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went out for a few post work Friday scoops. Usually we stick to the same places so made the effort to go to some venues we don't give enough attention to; 

The Colmore, not surprisingly on Colmore Row. 

Nice venue and love the decor - chesterfield seats, wood panelled nooks and crannies, and bookshelves. Very banking hall style, which is appropriate as I *think* it used to be a Lloyds bank? Maybe @sidcow will know for sure. 

It is owned by Thornbridge Brewery and they have a large cask and keg menu. Was rammed though, which is both good (nice to see business booming) and bad (queues / lack of seats)

5eac130e8b9c7.jpg

The Good Intent, in Great Western Arcade

Operated by Craddocks Brewery and run as a Not For Profit pub, which all profits going to local charities. The interior fits in with the style of the Great Western Arcade.

2-JS199074671-2.jpg

Two cracking venues with a large choice of cask ales and craft/keg beer. Well worth visiting.

The Colmore was Lloyd's Bank until a couple of years ago. 

From my vantage point on the office above they seem to be doing a lot of work on the roof space so I'm expecting a rooftop terrace in the near future. 

I've always wanted to go to The Good Intent but then always forget about it when we go out. 

I really really must because Real Ale places are getting less and less and need support. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Went out for a few post work Friday scoops. Usually we stick to the same places so made the effort to go to some venues we don't give enough attention to; 

Nice venue and love the decor - chesterfield seats, wood panelled nooks and crannies, and bookshelves. Very banking hall style, which is appropriate as I *think* it used to be a Lloyds bank? Maybe @sidcow will know for sure. 

It is owned by Thornbridge Brewery and they have a large cask and keg menu. Was rammed though, which is both good (nice to see business booming) and bad (queues / lack of seats)

5eac130e8b9c7.jpg

Operated by Craddocks Brewery and run as a Not For Profit pub, which all profits going to local charities. The interior fits in with the style of the Great Western Arcade.

2-JS199074671-2.jpg

Two cracking venues with a large choice of cask ales and craft/keg beer. Well worth visiting.

I actually have been to The Good Intent on my visit over, it’s a cool spot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Xela said:

5eac130e8b9c7.jpg

2-JS199074671-2.jpg

I've not been to the The Good Intent but I do like a pint of Troll from Craddocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

Make sure to get to Old Joint Stock… the coolest pub/bar I’ve ever been in

Yep, that and Wellington are on the every visit-list

Z491jgs.png

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Yep, that and Wellington are on the every visit-list

Z491jgs.png

Heehee. 

This has led me down an Internet search but I haven't found what I was looking for. 

If you had a similar picture taken from the end of the bar on the left perspective from the above, for YEARS my boss had a sign pinned up there very similar to this:

image.png.1aee88961337eee71a18f68cf2c178cc.png

I know who "you" is but he doesn't know it's him 😂

Was up there for years until my boss had an argument with the landlord who barred him and chucked the sign in the bin. 

When he was allowed back in he bought another identical sign and went behind the bar and pinned it back up himself. 

I've not been there for a very long time, not sure if the sign is still there or not, but it would amuse me no end to find a photo of the OJS on the Internet with the sign on it. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

@Spoony Did you find anywhere good in Walsall?

In terms of pubs, I've heard The Black Country Arms and The Fountain Inn are very good for real ale. 

Has anyone been to Attic Brew Co's tap house? In Stirchley? Heard good things about it. Its right by the train station as well so easy to get to and back. 

IMG-8624-1c895aa3-7ab2-4305-9bec-bc39694

Just now, Xela said:

Has anyone been to Attic Brew Co's tap house? In Stirchley? Heard good things about it. Its right by the train station as well so easy to get to and back. 

IMG-8624-1c895aa3-7ab2-4305-9bec-bc39694

Yeah, it's really good in there I think. Usually a decent food option on too. If not, loads of places to choose from on the high street too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had lunch at the just refurbished Sharmans Cross up the road from me.  

Pleased to report that on top of a pleasant environment they also had 5 Cask ales on including Wainwright's and Butty Bach. 

It's in easy walking distance for me so I can see me visiting there for some bevvies which I've rarely done in the past. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Few swift ones after work today at the majestic Prince of Wales, in Cambridge Street (by the NIA/back of the ICC)

Now run by Black Country Ales, same as legendary Wellington. 

@sidcow  - 12 real ale pumps!

Prince-of-Wales-007-WEB-1000w.jpg

Prince-of-Wales-040-WEB-1000w.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Few swift ones after work today at the majestic Prince of Wales, in Cambridge Street (by the NIA/back of the ICC)

Now run by Black Country Ales, same as legendary Wellington. 

@sidcow  - 12 real ale pumps!

Prince-of-Wales-007-WEB-1000w.jpg

Prince-of-Wales-040-WEB-1000w.jpg

I'm running a work Pub Crawl next month that starts there.  Looking forward to it. 

POW

The Malt House

The Distillery

The Brasshouse

Keg and Grill

The Craven Arms

The Tap and Spile

Oblivion 

• Like 1

Â