The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

Just now, sidcow said:

I wouldn't say that within earshot of them, they are rather keen on bandying around lawsuits. 

Appalling company to work for... allegedly :ph34r:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wouldn't say that within earshot of them, they are rather keen on bandying around lawsuits that fail or are withdrawn. 

FTFY

They are more likely to be in trouble themselves than cause trouble these days.; Two reprimands from the ASA only last year

I’ve just rewatched “The Remains of the day”. And there’s a scene with a pub where I was taken aback by how great it looked. It’s The George Inn, in Norton St Philip, near Bath. 

I obviously haven’t been but I’ve made a mental note to head there if I’m ever in the area. I’ve added it to the list alongside the pub(s) that appears in “Hot Fuzz”.

73507931-29A3-440A-941D-54EEA92AFF05.jpeg.449c91679b99180f458265b2d6019b9f.jpeg

Spoiler for “The Remains of the day”-

Spoiler

I think the pub looks charming enough, I think if I was Emma Thompson, I’d have probably have agreed to marry Timothy Pigott-Smith too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve just rewatched “The Remains of the day”. And there’s a scene with a pub where I was taken aback by how great it looked. It’s The George Inn, in Norton St Philip, near Bath. 

I obviously haven’t been but I’ve made a mental note to head there if I’m ever in the area. I’ve added it to the list alongside the pub(s) that appears in “Hot Fuzz”.

73507931-29A3-440A-941D-54EEA92AFF05.jpeg.449c91679b99180f458265b2d6019b9f.jpeg

Spoiler for “The Remains of the day”-

Hide contents

I think the pub looks charming enough, I think if I was Emma Thompson, I’d have probably have agreed to marry Timothy Pigott-Smith too.

There is zero chance of that being a shit pub. 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

There is zero chance of that being a shit pub. 

Given that its just outside Bath, there's close to zero chance it isn't full of entitled Representatives for Wellingborough who've "escaped London"

News on The Rose Villa Tavern. 

It appears it's getting a refurb and they're seeking new Landlord. Seems they are installing a new kitchen to allow a "premium food offering" so I guess it's the good old take it up market and ruin what it was approach. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It looks like @Mark Albrighton survived his night drinking around town... mate. 

How many small heathens did you encounter bedecked in flat caps and waistcoats?

Where did you end up?

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

It looks like @Mark Albrighton survived his night drinking around town... mate. 

How many small heathens did you encounter bedecked in flat caps and waistcoats?

Where did you end up?

Haha yeah I did survive, although I feel a bit tired today, getting too old for this…mate.

We started at The Rectory by St Paul’s Square. Pretty good, a bit like The Old Contemptibles I suppose. There’s a basement which is seemingly dedicated to group darts bookings which I hadn’t expected.

Then the Rock ‘n Roll Brewhouse. A micro brewery with a bar above it. Quirky little place, funny opening hours (apparently it closes around 7pm on a Saturday). Live music on, there was a singer songwriter on when we walked in, (a local musician called MiIlie May, FWIW). 

Grain & Glass was next, home of the whisky club in Birmingham. Not really a whisky drinker, but we asked what they would recommend to accompany the beer we ordered and they suggested something called The Balvenie. I think I’d go again if someone wanted to book a whisky tasting.

Then a quick drink at The Jewellers Arms before a meal at The Clifden while catching the end of the football (****ing clear cut handball).

Then we headed over to The Wolf which is on the same road as The Clifden. Kind of a cool, hipster bar. 

One more stop at The Colmore. Hazy recollection of this I have to be honest. I think it was a bit more upmarket, maybe. It was fine.

Train into Wolverhampton which was meant to conclude the evening but we found ourselves looking very much out of place among the young people at The Grain Store. 

Pretty successful all in all, funnily enough the last time I was out with my mate in Birmingham, it was Gerrard’s first game against Brighton. Not sure we can sustain a weekly pub crawl so apologies in advance if Villa’s form dips in our absence.

• Like 2

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but the King Charles in Worcester centre is awesome. Great award winning pies, sausages, sandwiches etc… 8 different choices of mash. Local brewed Beers and old rickety and crooked beams everywhere. Old dark wood fireplace too with a coal fire underneath. Trapdoors in the floor, an old smuggling/escape hatch built into the basement too. Full of quirky charm and while I’m not sure how much of it is original, it just feels like old times. 

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Ended up going to the Keg & Grill last night followed by a few more beers in the Craven Arms. Both excellent and worthy of plaudits given by others :) 

First look at this I though bloody hell that's a hell of a drive just for a beer. THE craven arms, not craven arms.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

First look at this I though bloody hell that's a hell of a drive just for a beer. THE craven arms, not craven arms.

Nah the one that is literally 20 steps away from the Keg & Grill! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â