The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

The above pictures summarise my night out tonight. 

All excellent pubs (except for Wetherspoons obviously) and with truly excellent people. 

I hope they finished up at The Dog as planned but I was way too battered to get that far. Homing instinct kicked in. 

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

except for Wetherspoons obviously

My boycott us still on, won't set foot in one. Brexit word removed

I can even remember the last time I went in one, it was with @blandy  before a Lovely Eggs gig in Preston

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Went to The Good Intent yesterday. Really nice venue and bigger than it looks!

The Good Intent is a brand new bar situated in the heart of Birmingham inside the fantastic Great Western Arcade. It’s one of the UK’s first Not for Profit Bars and will be donating all of its profits to local charities.

The Pub will be open seven day’s a week serving award winning ales from Craddocks Brewery along side other brilliant local brewers.

Our aim is to create a fantastic looking pub in the centre of Birmingham that keeps in touch with the Victorian Splendor of the Great Western Arcade.

https://www.craddocksbrewery.com/portfolio/the-good-intent/

j72crqL.jpeg

2krSdmR.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Went to The Good Intent yesterday. Really nice venue and bigger than it looks!

https://www.craddocksbrewery.com/portfolio/the-good-intent/

j72crqL.jpeg

2krSdmR.jpeg

Oh wow, that brings back memories. Used to be a cafe in the 90s (the Victorian, I think?) where I used to go for breakfast on Saturdays with my family before heading over to Rackhams

22 minutes ago, GeorgeVilla82 said:

Oh wow, that brings back memories. Used to be a cafe in the 90s (the Victorian, I think?) where I used to go for breakfast on Saturdays with my family before heading over to Rackhams

Nah, Victorian restaurant was on the other side of the arcade a bit further up. Only closed just before lockdown. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

What was it like? Was it busy? 

I've never been in but walk past it regularly, always seems empty in the day. 

Very busy mate. Brum was busier last night anyway, but been past a few times on a Friday night and its always been packed outside. Yesterday was the first time I've been in though. 

Nice inside. Like a tardis! Lots of space upstairs. Good selection of ales and you get a loyalty card as well and after every pint of Craddock's ale yu buy, you get a stamp. After 8 stamps you get a free drink! 

4 hours ago, GeorgeVilla82 said:

The Victorian is now the Pineapple Club, which is more or less opposite. Cocktail bar. Not been in there yet

https://www.pineapplebrum.co.uk/

iz2NqpM.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh good. It seems like there just aren't enough cocktail bars around there days. 

It has been described as 'Instagramable'

Not for the likes of me and you pal! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Xela said:

The Victorian is now the Pineapple Club, which is more or less opposite. Cocktail bar. Not been in there yet

https://www.pineapplebrum.co.uk/

iz2NqpM.jpeg

Needs a flamethrower

How would you ever feel comfortable and relax in those seats?

Come the glorious day, establishments like this will be used as traps to find out who to execute next

• Like 1

I've just heard The Prince of Wales in Moseley is closing😭😔

Unfortunately it's not a patch on what it was.  Been suprised at just how empty it's been the last few times I've been there. Hardly any cask ales on. 

I expect it will open again with new owners, I just pray they try and make it what it once was but I expect it will just turn into a other craft ale bar with a DJ laying down some shitty chilled out beats for a bunch of blokes in lumberjack shirts and oiled beards. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've just heard The Prince of Wales in Moseley is closing😭😔

Unfortunately it's not a patch on what it was.  Been suprised at just how empty it's been the last few times I've been there. Hardly any cask ales on. 

Covid must have had a huge impact on it. Was it still run by the big fella who ran a few other places in Moseley and Stirchley? 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Covid must have had a huge impact on it. Was it still run by the big fella who ran a few other places in Moseley and Stirchley? 

Not sure but in researching this I saw that The British Oak in Stirchley is a sister pub of The Dark Horse now so not sure if he shuffled his portfolio which might explain why its gone downhill, but then again The Dark Horse is also shit so who knows. 

I'm just very concerned because Moseley is running out of proper boozers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another one bites the dust @sidcow

Shame as its in the perfect location for when HS2 is completed, but the lack of trade during the work has took its toll. I hope the building survives, but no doubt it'll be flattened like the Eagle & Tun was; a crying shame as that was part of Birmingham's musical history.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/last-orders-woodman-bids-farewell-24717090

Shuts this Friday. 

One of Birmingham's oldest pubs is calling last orders for the final time. Despite putting up a brave fight, The Woodman pub has thrown in the towel after years of being 'isolated by HS2 works'.

The iconic Victorian venue, based on New Canal Street, by Millennium Point, says it has faced an uphill battle ever since work began for Curzon Street railway station located 20-feet away. Roads leading to the back-street boozer were cut off and cones, scaffolding and barriers became synonymous with the pub's identity.

he pub is calling on regulars to make its final party "the best yet". It will also be open on Saturday to "sell as much beer" as possible before "liquidators get their hands on it".

0_DQP_BEM_010921PUB_46JPG.jpg

• Sad 3

Â