The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

7 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Going to a gig in Digbeth on Tuesday. Any suggestions on somewhere to get a quick bite to eat beforehand? 

Digbeth Dining Club was always the place to go, not sure if it's there now though, seem to remember seeing them moving to Hockley or something. I think The Original Patty Men have a permanent site under the railway arches near Moor Street Station though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Cross Guns?

I think it was that before. 

I strongly feel that pub names deserve more protection. 

Incidentally "The Old Court Inn" is such a misleading name for what is a down market cheap and nasty pub.  It conjures up images of quaint olde England, its a multi screened sports bar. Surprised the glasses weren't plastic. It should be called Tom's Sports Bar or Shooters or something. 

In fact I'm suprised such a tacky place is located on King's Heath High Street.  I thought some of the Moseley cool was supposed to be seeping in there. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I strongly feel that pub names deserve more protection.

Agree ... Apparently it was the Pear Tree before that (way before my time).

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Incidentally "The Old Court Inn" is such a misleading name for what is a down market cheap and nasty pub.

The last time I was in there (whatever it was called) in 1986, it struck me as a relatively clean but plastic pub. I wish when they renovated the  place they kept some of the old time character. In the seventies it was definitely down market but had character.

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

Digbeth Dining Club was always the place to go, not sure if it's there now though, seem to remember seeing them moving to Hockley or something. I think The Original Patty Men have a permanent site under the railway arches near Moor Street Station though. 

Yeah think DDC are moving to Longbridge as a permanent base plus their events elsewhere. Don't think They would do Tuesdays either, likewise OPM aren't open on Tuesdays as thought about there already. 

On 17/10/2021 at 20:14, AlwaysAVFC said:

Going to a gig in Digbeth on Tuesday. Any suggestions on somewhere to get a quick bite to eat beforehand? 

The Old Crown is good for food. Not eaten there but having seen others dine there, the Big Bulls Head might be worth investigating.

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The Old Crown is good for food. Not eaten there but having seen others dine there, the Big Bulls Head might be worth investigating.

The Old Crown looks pretty good and that is what I was going to go with, but having looked at the menu again today, quite a lot of it has nuts, which I can't have. 

I think we're going to try Chance and Counters. Nothing more Rock n Roll than a pre gig board game. Hopefully not as hipster as it sounds but food and beer menu looks decent. Mrs likes the look of it and as it's our anniversary and I'm taking her to a gig that's more for me than her, plus she's driving, probably best go with her choice. 

4 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

The Old Crown looks pretty good and that is what I was going to go with, but having looked at the menu again today, quite a lot of it has nuts, which I can't have. 

I think we're going to try Chance and Counters. Nothing more Rock n Roll than a pre gig board game. Hopefully not as hipster as it sounds but food and beer menu looks decent. Mrs likes the look of it and as it's our anniversary and I'm taking her to a gig that's more for me than her, plus she's driving, probably best go with her choice. 

As it happens, I was in chance & counters on Saturday. It’s good, the hipster levels aren’t too excessive. I’d recommend it.

• Like 1

My folks tend to go out once or twice a week to local pubs for lunch, so these are the ones they recommend for food, in and around where they live. I'm sure @Mark Albrighton knows most of them :) 

- The Riverside Inn in Cound 

- The Water Rat in Ironbridge (formerly the Meadow Inn)

- The Oaken Arms in Codsall

- The Raven in Much Wenlock

Their favourite though is the The Inn at Shipley, on the Bridgnorth Road. 

I5YZ3aX.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

My folks tend to go out once or twice a week to local pubs for lunch, so these are the ones they recommend for food, in and around where they live. I'm sure @Mark Albrighton knows most of them :) 

- The Riverside Inn in Cound 

- The Water Rat in Ironbridge (formerly the Meadow Inn)

- The Oaken Arms in Codsall

- The Raven in Much Wenlock

Their favourite though is the The Inn at Shipley, on the Bridgnorth Road. 

A couple I’m aware of, yep :D The Oaken Arms is a stone’s throw from me, I remember when it used to be the Foaming Jug. As a kid, my folks driving home it was always a reference point for me - “Ah we’re about 5 minutes from home now” kinda thing. Similarly there was a pub on the Kingswood junction very close to the Oaken Arms, called the Croakers that also acted as a handy reference point for me. As I know he’s covered a few of the pubs in the area, maybe @blandy remembers it?

With regards to your folks Alex, if they like the Inn at Shipley, they could do worse than trying the Woodbridge Inn at Coalport (I know I’ve mentioned that one in this thread before) and the Oakley Arms by Brewood - both run by the same owners as the Inn at Shipley. Very nice locations for both.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Similarly there was a pub on the Kingswood junction very close to the Oaken Arms, called the Croakers that also acted as a handy reference point for me. As I know he’s covered a few of the pubs in the area, maybe @blandy remembers it?

I do, yes. Used to go in there. I think it had a frog logo and pale green frontage and sold this lager that was like a real ale, that I can’t remember the name of.

I also used to go to the Woodbridge Inn (via the actual wooden bridge) in the summer, and also the next pub along the river whose name I forget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I do, yes. Used to go in there. I think it had a frog logo and pale green frontage and sold this lager that was like a real ale, that I can’t remember the name of.

Yep that’s the one. The frog sign certainly made it memorable for me as a kid. I’ve referred to it previously among my mates but never been able to find a picture of it. I recently found one of it from a previous time when it was called The Junction, no cladding, no frog sign. In fact, here you go, I have no memory of it looking like this…

110FD987-9E9D-4B61-88F0-94C0C067C887.jpeg.edeeed47866ff79ffb395f33d963a0a7.jpeg

I also used to go to the Woodbridge Inn (via the actual wooden bridge) in the summer, and also the next pub along the river whose name I forget.

Are you referring to the Half Moon? It’s on the same side of the river as the Woodbridge. There’s also the Black Swan a little further down. There are a couple of others nearby that I’ve not been in. The Robin Hood, The Brewery Inn. I have been to the Shakespeare for a meal a few times, that’s pretty good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

With regards to your folks Alex, if they like the Inn at Shipley, they could do worse than trying the Woodbridge Inn at Coalport (I know I’ve mentioned that one in this thread before) and the Oakley Arms by Brewood - both run by the same owners as the Inn at Shipley. Very nice locations for both.

Cheers, I'll mention the Woodbridge Inn to them in case they're not aware that its also a Brunning and Price pub.

I've been to the Oakley Arms with them in Brewood a few times. Nice place, with a little lake at the back. Kind of 'middle ground' for us when I meet them for a bite to eat!

Looking at the Brunning and Price website, there are a couple of other places on there I have been to; The Physician, in Edgbaston, which was close to my old office, and the Queens Arms in Pimlico, which is a nice boozer.

25 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Are you referring to the Half Moon? It’s on the same side of the river as the Woodbridge. 

Ahhh thats one I forgot. My old man is keen on that place as well. They sat out there a few times in the summer

eBheu1f.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Heading over for the first time next month, and I’m sober. Is it typical for pubs to offer an NA beer option?

Perhaps in bottles, chain pubs more likely than independents. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Heading over for the first time next month, and I’m sober. Is it typical for pubs to offer an NA beer option?

When I first started driving I used to drink non alcoholic beer.  After a while I realised it all tastes shit and just drinking soft drinks was so much nicer. 

For that reason I've no idea if they still sell it.   As someone said, they certainly used to have bottles in the fridge, can't remember what I used o have now, it's probably not around now anyway. 

Â