The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone know if The Prince of Wales behind the ICC is closed? 

I'm organising a "Broad Street without going to Broad Street" pub crawl next week and this was my venue between The Malt House and The Distillery, but appears to be closed. 

I don't think there is anything else around there without entering the hell hole which is Brindley place to replace it. 

I was up there last Friday and yes its closed with a big for sale sign above it.

Depends which part of that area you are going to and what you are really after, time of day etc. You could go in the James Brindley. Its okish with real ale.

For real ale, i'd stick with the city centre old faithfuls around Colmore Row. You know what they are.

For a change, try the Jewellrey Qtr. Some real good bars popping up there, 1000 Trades, Button Factory, Rock n Roll Brewery, Start off at the OC's then head off Indian Brewery in Livery Street. Good beer and great Indian street food. 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

How much is the real. Ale per pint? 

I suspect it's going to be pricey, all new bars seem to be. 

£3.65 for this from Camerons 

3-A-HOP.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice country pub, The Green Man in Middleton, Warwickshire

Had a few ciders in the sun there this week

• Like 2

Keeping up with the 'green theme' ^^^

the Green House, Four Oaks. 

Effectively my local and also enjoyed a few ciders sitting out in the sun over the last few weeks. 

Is a bit snobby but good selection of lagers and ciders. 

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Keeping up with the 'green theme' ^^^

the Green House, Four Oaks. 

Effectively my local and also enjoyed a few ciders sitting out in the sun over the last few weeks. 

Is a bit snobby but good selection of lagers and ciders. 

The pub was better when it was the halfway house. It's now full of complete tools. I prefer the old school house in mere green. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

Quality pub . Love it there, must get a visit in with the good weather 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

I used to go there over 30 years ago, when they used to famous for cheap steak and chips........in fact the last time I had a desperate dan sized steak, Neale Cooper walked in after the club's pre season jolly to jamaica (I think), which annoyed me cos we'd just got relegated but seeing as he was a lot bigger than me, I just grumbled my disgust in to my pint !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I used to go there over 30 years ago, when they used to famous for cheap steak and chips........in fact the last time I had a desperate dan sized steak, Neale Cooper walked in after the club's pre season jolly to jamaica (I think), which annoyed me cos we'd just got relegated but seeing as he was a lot bigger than me, I just grumbled my disgust in to my pint !

I'm sure you were aware of the rumours about the steaks at the time?! 

51 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah I was......the cheap price did make me wonder......but at least I was able to clear a five bar gate in one jump afterwards ?

• Haha 2

On 06/07/2018 at 22:16, KHV said:

The pub was better when it was the halfway house. It's now full of complete tools. I prefer the old school house in mere green. 

There should be a law against changing pub names. 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2018 at 22:37, Xela said:

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There should be a law against changing pub names. 

I heard they were going to rename it “The Four Horseshoes”

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

More of a bar but the Head of Steam in the city centre is a nice addition to the scene

Some cracking ales/lagers in there. 

1-720x481.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

? thanks Xela. May have to give it a go next time I'm back in Brum.

Some decent places in that area now. There is a cuban bar opposite (Revolución de Cuba) and The Ivy as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Old Joint Stock has been announced as the UK"s 'Town pub of the year' in the 2019 Good Pub Guide

A popular city centre boozer has been named Town Pub of the Year by the 2019 Good Pub Guide.

The Old Joint Stock, which overlooks Birmingham Cathedral, has been handed the prestigious title by the independent annual travel guide which lists the UK's best pubs.

The pub is housed in the grade II-listed former Joint Stock Bank in Temple Row West and even has its own small theatre upstairs which regularly hosts plays and other live performances.

The judging panel cited the pub's lively atmosphere, flamboyant interior, all-day popular food and theatre as the reasons it took the top spot.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/birmingham-pub-crowned-uks-best-15184535

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Following a crawl around Lichfield, a few recommendations -

Duke of York. Nice Joules pub, one of the oldest in Lichfield, lot of character, a good place to begin a crawl.

Brewhouse. A bigger venue but has nice layout and feel to it. Similarities with Head of Steam in Birmingham. 

Angel Inn. Another Joules pub, a good mixture of being both traditional and lively.

And my star pick....

Beerbohm. A great vintage style pub. Plenty of beers to choose from. The bar is good and there’s a nice upstairs room too. If you want to try a variety of beers in a nice setting, this is the place. Wish it had a later license.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Many years ago I used to love Mr Bills Bier Keller up needless alley - long since gone.

I have been meaning to go to one on the broad street for ages - and might finally get round to it this saturday - just me and Mrs Hippo - anyone ever been - do you need to book...cost ...price of booze etc 

n

Â