The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

10 hours ago, hippo said:

Many years ago I used to love Mr Bills Bier Keller up needless alley - long since gone.

I have been meaning to go to one on the broad street for ages - and might finally get round to it this saturday - just me and Mrs Hippo - anyone ever been - do you need to book...cost ...price of booze etc 

n

Have there been 3 bier kellers in the city. I went to one in the late 90's and don't recall it being in Needless Alley? 

Sorry Hippo, not been to the new one! 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Have there been 3 bier kellers in the city. I went to one in the late 90's and don't recall it being in Needless Alley? 

Sorry Hippo, not been to the new one! 

I thought the old one was down by the Alex (trying to think back to when I was 18)

As for the new one @hippo I’ve been in the bar at the front, the main area at the back you do have to pay to enter, think it ranges from £5-15 depending on what’s on and what package you book (they do different foods I think). I’ve been in the same branded one in Liverpool and it was a quality time, everyone gets on the table and is dancing away. 

I love this thread. Been to a few in Brum as almost every time I go over it's a long weekend with little else to do than visiting pubs. Especially during the annual spring trips with Villa Sweden. Ok, there are a lot of things to do in Brum, but I tend to end up in a pub. Don't know why. The problem is that I almost never remember the names of the pubs. Those I remember are both Shakespeare's (Love the one by that hotell. Ibis?), Trocadero (Decent if watching football), Sun on the hill, O'Neill's on Broad Street and Brewgod. Hate that Adventurers were torn down.

Two years ago we went on a pub crawl along the old tram rail. That was fun. I think we had 18 pubs on the list but only came to 13 or something like that. But there were some lovely pubs. It was the one that used to be a bank on the corner of two streets, the one with a very long bar close to Hammer and the Anvil, the rock pub in a basement with a pool table and loads of picture vinyls on the walls, a small shady one with just a few tables, Brewdog and a few more. A few of us lasted untill the last stop. A nice little pub called Legs 11. Never been there before. A little expensive but great service. Heard they had to close soon after. Guess it was a bit too expensive for people to go there. Such a shame.

But now I've got a few recommendations for next trip in April. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pelle said:

Two years ago we went on a pub crawl along the old tram rail. That was fun. I think we had 18 pubs on the list but only came to 13 or something like that. But there were some lovely pubs. It was the one that used to be a bank on the corner of two streets, the one with a very long bar close to Hammer and the Anvil, the rock pub in a basement with a pool table and loads of picture vinyls on the walls, a small shady one with just a few tables, Brewdog and a few more. A few of us lasted untill the last stop. A nice little pub called Legs 11. Never been there before. A little expensive but great service. Heard they had to close soon after. Guess it was a bit too expensive for people to go there. Such a shame.

But now I've got a few recommendations for next trip in April. :)

Cosy Club (Old Midland Bank) or Lost and Found (Old National Municipal)

Was the crawl this one

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/take-metro-pub-crawl-18-11452296

Take the Metro pub crawl: 18 pubs to visit via the tram in Birmingham

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:08, Xela said:

Cosy Club (Old Midland Bank) or Lost and Found (Old National Municipal)

Was the crawl this one

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/take-metro-pub-crawl-18-11452296

Yes and yes. :) It definetley was LaF. Really nice pub. Sadly I missed last years trip, but this year...

Witton Arms is another pub we use to visit. When we go to VP to visit the Villa store we almost always go to WA. It's not the best, but decent to sit foe a few hours, watch football and maybe have a few beers.There was one year, 2014, me and a friend were sitting there for many hours, just drinking beer without eating. That could've ended pretty bad. Rjw with family showed up.I think he called me pisshead or something like that. :P But it was a good day. Met and talked to Sean Dyche later that evening. The day after we lost to burnley. Villa Swedens first loss. Not as fun. Thanks for that, Sherwood.

• Like 1

I remember the Needless Alley Bier Kieller, it moved to the old Paramount Bar location ( near the Alex) to expand to bigger premises.

My current favourite is the Griffin Inn near Furnace End, friendly locals and lovely beer .

Edited by tinker

• 1 month later...

Going town Saturday with my pal for a catch up and to watch the Wolves game (hes a big dingle). Havent watched a game in town for a while so was wondering if anybody can give me some suggestions as where we could go. Id like to avoid broad street if possible but obviously there are a few places there to watch.

Edited by leighavfc

13 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Going town Saturday with my pal for a catch up and to watch the Wolves game (hes a big dingle). Havent watched a game in town for a while so was wondering if anybody can give me some suggestions as where we could go. Id like to avoid broad street if possible but obviously there are a few places there to watch.

For watching football in a Brum pub, you can’t go too wrong with the Lord Clifden in the Jewellery Quarter in my opinion.

The Old Contemptibles on Edmund Street might show it, likewise the The Red Lion (also situated in the Jewellery Quarter).

Lord Clifden is my runaway winner.

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

For watching football in a Brum pub, you can’t go too wrong with the Lord Clifden in the Jewellery Quarter in my opinion.

The Old Contemptibles on Edmund Street might show it, likewise the The Red Lion (also situated in the Jewellery Quarter).

Lord Clifden is my runaway winner.

Yeah good shout about the Lord Clifden. Il have a look at the other 2 also.

Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

The Old Town Hall Vaults, known locally as “The Backies”. Tucked away on a side street off Whitchurch high street. Although my knowledge of pubs in the area isn’t great, I’d be surprised if this wasn’t considered among the best in the vicinity. Birthplace of composer Edward German for the classical enthusiasts, the pub also comes complete with grade ii listed gents outbuilding for the toilet enthusiasts.

As I’m increasingly finding with Joules pubs, it’s nicely done out - wood panelled walls, welcoming fireplace, vintage pub memorabilia, a very traditional feel without being overly old fashioned. The Joules pubs that I’ve been in have a consistent style but with certain differences. You can tell that there’s a bit of consideration in how it’s been restored, very much making the most of the existing layout and character of the building.

Looking forward to visiting more in the future. 

46533293-959B-40F4-B859-687DB1BABBCC.jpeg

47DF03BC-01EB-4849-8351-920954002428.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Seem to be spending less and less time in pubs and more in bars and tap rooms.

This bar is in the local market. It's surrounded by food places. Generally the bars are ok with you eating food from the other market traders, if you're drinking the bar's grog. Likewise the food places are ok with you sourcing your drinks within the market for your meal.

image.jpg.2e8267a5f7565e31545a98e2dd577c8c.jpg

Sambrook's, Belleville, Wimbledon, By The Horns, German Kraft and Reunion breweries are quite nearby and have their own tap rooms.

With the bigger breweries being utter bastards, who'd be a pub landlord these days? :(

• Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 23:44, Shropshire Lad said:

...the pub also comes complete with grade ii listed gents outbuilding for the toilet enthusiasts.

I'm listening...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Found myself in a few different pubs yesterday.

Along with the regular venues - Old Contemptibles, Rose Villa, Lord Clifden (all great, as ever), had a drink in the following pubs -

The Shakespeare, Summer Row (first and second picture). A Nicholson’s pub, really impressed with this one, nice vintage feel throughout. Looks like it has a good outside area too.

The Queens Arms (third picture). Basically went in here because the M&B sign on the front is great. Overall, decent. 

The Jewellers Arms (fourth picture) Round the corner from the Lord Clifden, it’s ok, feels more like a “locals” pub. Very busy.

1000 trades (fifth picture). A short walk from The Button Factory. Quirky rustic bar and kitchen with craft ales. Local artists work on the wall, good, lively atmosphere. There’s a separate bar upstairs called The Vanguard that does cocktails and mead. Recommended.

3EE72EBB-85B7-4BB1-8E4E-BA1A5430D62D.jpeg.e5f0c627dd3e7b0cad1ccca478cd0482.jpeg

470612A4-D2F6-43C4-9444-24E7234D7BDC.jpeg

D7CFD7FD-7ADB-43D5-A3F2-5A6DF25AFC94.jpeg

A9E41E24-36B1-4711-8E80-9504160E21CD.jpeg

C42CEE25-7B66-415A-B723-A18E9D807C06.jpeg

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

On 04/04/2019 at 23:44, Shropshire Lad said:

The Old Town Hall Vaults, known locally as “The Backies”. Tucked away on a side street off Whitchurch high street. Although my knowledge of pubs in the area isn’t great, I’d be surprised if this wasn’t considered among the best in the vicinity. Birthplace of composer Edward German for the classical enthusiasts, the pub also comes complete with grade ii listed gents outbuilding for the toilet enthusiasts.

As I’m increasingly finding with Joules pubs, it’s nicely done out - wood panelled walls, welcoming fireplace, vintage pub memorabilia, a very traditional feel without being overly old fashioned. The Joules pubs that I’ve been in have a consistent style but with certain differences. You can tell that there’s a bit of consideration in how it’s been restored, very much making the most of the existing layout and character of the building.

Looking forward to visiting more in the future. 

46533293-959B-40F4-B859-687DB1BABBCC.jpeg

47DF03BC-01EB-4849-8351-920954002428.jpeg

My dog went mental in here, didn't want to go in and then he went crazy whilst we were in there. I left my pint and he calmed right down. Went to a different one close by and he was really chilled. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Saw that a Hong Kong company has bought greene King for around £2.7bn, they're expecting the London properties to be cashed in on

Didn't see that asahi had bought fullers

And slug and lettuces owners  have bought the ei group

Industry in general, brexit and the low pound causing an industry shake up

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't see that asahi had bought fullers

The Old Joint Stock is Fullers most northern pub (only a handful outside of London and the South) and I remember reading somewhere it was also one of their busiest and most profitable as well. 

Â