The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

The Wootons Inn - Tintagel. The pub itself was a bit meh, nice selection of Sharp's. But the beergarden did the whole thing.

180 degree Cornwall scenery with the Ocean to top it of. And a fantastic evening as well.

image.thumb.png.614a3a4e7dce0b1a5ded8b945a86fad8.pngimage.thumb.png.4fe07dcd0d714746dc13f3472ccd0c6f.png

image.thumb.png.9ca5949e5dcc0d8788313b6e96f5b2b7.png

image.thumb.png.eeb81e00f68feef7fe9db8ceaa1eb2ba.png

As pubs go, the King Arthurs Arms inn was a lot better.

image.thumb.png.7a44d67446caf79704bfb3e1fac067c1.png

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, imavillan said:

looks nice and deciptively larger on the inside from the outside doorway and window.

Nice food in there as well. Had beef brisket burger. 

Loads of decent looking boozers in Buxton, just wish we had more time there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

When the time's right?

A man who built an app in his spare time that highlights independent pubs close to Wetherspoons venues, says he has been amazed by the response.

The Android app Neverspoons has been downloaded nearly 18,000 times in its first week - more than Shane Jones expected from the first six months.

It is currently top of the free app chart on Google Play.

The name is a pun on the pub chain Wetherspoons but Mr Jones said he just wanted to give smaller pubs a boost.

Mr Jones admitted that "a handful" of other chain pub venues had already crept on to the app and he said he planned to "weed out" those people had complained to him about - including one from the Slug and Lettuce chain and a few Greene King and Firkin franchises.

"It's not easy to manually vet thousands of pubs," he said.

Mr Jones has uploaded details of 2,500 pubs from around the UK so far and a further 971 have been submitted by drinkers and landlords.

One single contributor nominated 50 different pubs in Birmingham, he said.

BBC

• Like 3

On 20/02/2020 at 20:52, Xela said:

Stopped here in late January. Cracking place, great food and good beer

Lamb Inn, Great Rissington (Cotwolds), Gloucestershire. 

great-rissington-lamb-inn-6x4.jpg

Now that looks like a pub. 

On 11/09/2019 at 23:00, Xela said:

Saracens Head, Symonds Yat East, Herefordshire

Saracens-Head-Inn-Symonds-Yat-Cruiser.jp

I've sunk many many pints in there down the years. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

End of an era for Birmingham

Had many a boozy karaoke fuelled late night/early morning in there. Last time in there I treated the patrons to a fantastic* performance of November Rain. 

A much loved historic city pub has announced it has closed for good.

Tap and Spile in Gas Street Basin will not be reopening after indoor hospitality restrictions lift from May 17.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/much-loved-birmingham-gem-tap-20544308

*I think

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Had many a boozy karaoke fuelled late night/early morning in there. Last time in there I treated the patrons to a fantastic* performance of November Rain. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/much-loved-birmingham-gem-tap-20544308

*I think

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. 

I think we're probably going to see a lot of this.  A lot of businesses kept on due to Furlough but pulling the plug as soon as they need to actually get back to operating again. 

I hope to god someone else takes it on and just continues as is but sadly I suspect all the beer engines will be ripped out and replaced by "craft ale" taps and all the food will be topped by Avocado, and I'll be banned for not having a beard. 

• 3 months later...

I did a crawl of the pubs around Digbeth yesterday, most of which I hadn’t been to before, my mate hadn’t been to any, so treading new ground. I’m sure some of you are familiar with them.

First up was The Anchor, proudly stating on the notice board outside it was showing no football. Good pub, I quite like the back room and the small, rustic outside area - just about able to see the top of a nearby Sabbath mural on a wall next door.

The Spotted Dog. Would need to go elsewhere to be certain but possibly a contender for the most Irish pub in the Irish Quarter. A bit of an old man’s pub inside but does give off a youthful feel elsewhere, mainly in the unexpectedly large outdoor space. 

The Big Bulls Head. Two rooms, the main bar area and a secluded dining room towards the back. Solid. The food looked good.

The Big Birmingham Bake Bar. An impromptu visit here, as we were passing by. Only been in place for a few months, the main bit is obviously a bake off inspired activity, lots of people taking part. We were watching from across the patio, sat in a sort of open industrial unit. Different.

The Old Crown for a meal. Been here a couple of times before. Nice food. Very lively. 

The Ruin. A sort of shabby chic traditional pub. Lots of individual rooms but quite spacious and a potentially good roof terrace, weather permitting. Reminded me of a cross between both The Church in the Jewellery Quarter’s and The Victoria.

Nortons. A good sized music venue obviously quite a lively place. I wasn’t initially fussed about going here but it worked out quite well ending here. The live music acted as a good way to end the evening and it’s not too far to the train station.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I did a crawl of the pubs around Digbeth yesterday, most of which I hadn’t been to before, my mate hadn’t been to any, so treading new ground. I’m sure some of you are familiar with them.

First up was The Anchor, proudly stating on the notice board outside it was showing no football. Good pub, I quite like the back room and the small, rustic outside area - just about able to see the top of a nearby Sabbath mural on a wall next door.

The Spotted Dog. Would need to go elsewhere to be certain but possibly a contender for the most Irish pub in the Irish Quarter. A bit of an old man’s pub inside but does give off a youthful feel elsewhere, mainly in the unexpectedly large outdoor space. 

The Big Bulls Head. Two rooms, the main bar area and a secluded dining room towards the back. Solid. The food looked good.

The Big Birmingham Bake Bar. An impromptu visit here, as we were passing by. Only been in place for a few months, the main bit is obviously a bake off inspired activity, lots of people taking part. We were watching from across the patio, sat in a sort of open industrial unit. Different.

The Old Crown for a meal. Been here a couple of times before. Nice food. Very lively. 

The Ruin. A sort of shabby chic traditional pub. Lots of individual rooms but quite spacious and a potentially good roof terrace, weather permitting. Reminded me of a cross between both The Church in the Jewellery Quarter’s and The Victoria.

Nortons. A good sized music venue obviously quite a lively place. I wasn’t initially fussed about going here but it worked out quite well ending here. The live music acted as a good way to end the evening and it’s not too far to the train station.

I did a pub crawl a few years ago I intend to repeat soon. 

The Craven Arms

The Victoria 

The Old Fox

The Dragon Inn

The Lamp Tavern

The Anchor

The White Swan (now closed unfortunately) 

The Spotted Dog

The Old Crown 

I'm not sure if any others have closed like The Lamp.  It was the first time I'd ever been to The Old Crown. It was the one I was most looking forward to and the one which dissapointed the most. 

It was an office doo and The Lamp was hilarious as some just couldn't get their head around it. 

I hope The White Swan reopens because its a lovely pub. It probably will if ever they build that development around it although it will probably then be trendied up and replace the beer engines with fizzed up craft ale. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 22:25, Xela said:

*I think

I walked past the other day and it looked like it was being fitted out.  Hopefully someone has taken it on and will realise it was a success for a reason and won't change it too much.  I have little faith though. 

• Like 2

Â