The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

I can confirm that The Tap and Spile has reopened complete with real ale beer engines as well. 

Forgot to ask if they are still doing late night Karaoke though.  I apologise, very schoolboy error. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I can confirm that The Tap and Spile has reopened complete with real ale beer engines as well. 

Forgot to ask if they are still doing late night Karaoke though.  I apologise, very schoolboy error. 

Great news

Funny nothing has been mentioned online at all. Still the same name? The Tap and Spile website still says shut, although if its new management, they might not have access to that domain anymore. 

Just now, Xela said:

Great news

Funny nothing has been mentioned online at all. Still the same name? The Tap and Spile website still says shut, although if its new management, they might not have access to that domain anymore. 

Yeah, I thought that.  It's still called the same unless they're due a new sign and awaiting delivery but you would think they'd at least take the old sign down if that's the case.  

Maybe it just takes a few days to get the website up, it may have only opened today. 

Not sure if it's the same owners.  It could be the old set up again in your wife's name of something. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Slightly off topic, but what's the best pre-match pub for matches these days? I had a pint in the Witton last week, but wondering if there's anywhere else with a particular Villa vibe.

This thread in on topic would probably cover most of your options.

Most will say the Barton Arms. Wouldn’t say it has much of a “Villa vibe”, but it’s the best of the bunch. It’s the pub most Villans would wax lyrical about so in that regard it’s the one to go for. Just don’t expect pictures of the ‘82 team or other memorabilia on the walls.

Closer to the ground the Aston Tavern is a good option. Again, minimal “Villa vibe”, in my opinion.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Most will say the Barton Arms. Wouldn’t say it has much of a “Villa vibe”, but it’s the best of the bunch.

claret and blue tiling in the mens urinals :mrgreen:

It should also be noted that Laurel and Hardy, Caruso and Charlie Chaplin amongst others stayed here when they were booked  to perform and the Aston Hippodrome (long gone)

You might also spot Nigel Kennedy on a match day, he does sometimes drink in there before a game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This thread in on topic would probably cover most of your options.

Most will say the Barton Arms. Wouldn’t say it has much of a “Villa vibe”, but it’s the best of the bunch. It’s the pub most Villans would wax lyrical about so in that regard it’s the one to go for. Just don’t expect pictures of the ‘82 team or other memorabilia on the walls.

Closer to the ground the Aston Tavern is a good option. Again, minimal “Villa vibe”, in my opinion.

Nice one. By 'Villa vibe', I meant the one most Villa fans would go to. Like, the consensus pick.

I'm just getting into Birmingham in time for the early kick off, so wanted to watch it in a pub close enough to nip over to VP before kick off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

Nice one. By 'Villa vibe', I meant the one most Villa fans would go to. Like, the consensus pick.

I'm just getting into Birmingham in time for the early kick off, so wanted to watch it in a pub close enough to nip over to VP before kick off.

For most Villa fans, the Aston tavern I reckon.

The Barton arms is about 20 minutes walk to the ground. I don’t know if it characterises itself as a “neutral” pub, but I have seen opposition supporters in there. It’s not very tribal in there.

The tavern is definitely more like the Witton in that regard, more of a “football” pub, but I’d say the tavern is a bit “nicer” than the Witton. If there’s an early kick off they will be showing it in the tavern. I think it’s £3 entry fee but you get a pork baguette for that.

• Like 1

When my father, uncle and I go to Birmingham, we go to The Shakespeare and The Trocadero on Temple St, the Wellington on Bennetts Hill and The Shakespeare Inn on Summer Row.

I only like one of these pubs. 

Are there better, less awful pubs in Birmingham? Really what I want in a pub is a cafe

1 hour ago, YLN said:

When my father, uncle and I go to Birmingham, we go to The Shakespeare and The Trocadero on Temple St, the Wellington on Bennetts Hill and The Shakespeare Inn on Summer Row.

I only like one of these pubs. 

Are there better, less awful pubs in Birmingham? Really what I want in a pub is a cafe

There are loads, most have probably been mentioned in this thread.

Any recommendation I would make would depend which one of the pubs you’ve listed is the one you like. I like the Shakespeare Inn on Summer Row, so if it’s that one you could do worse than head to something like The Old Contemptibles.

You can head over to the Jewellery Quarter, there’s 4 or 5 good pubs there. Pretty sure they’re all discussed in here but The Rose Villa, The Clifden, The Church Inn, The Red Lion, The Button Factory…there are quite a few to choose from depending on what you’re after. I think they’re all much nicer than The Wellington anyway. If it’s a bar cafe style thing you’re after, maybe the button factory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There are loads, most have probably been mentioned in this thread.

Any recommendation I would make would depend which one of the pubs you’ve listed is the one you like. I like the Shakespeare Inn on Summer Row, so if it’s that one you could do worse than head to something like The Old Contemptibles.

You can head over to the Jewellery Quarter, there’s 4 or 5 good pubs there. Pretty sure they’re all discussed in here but The Rose Villa, The Clifden, The Church Inn, The Red Lion, The Button Factory…there are quite a few to choose from depending on what you’re after. I think they’re all much nicer than The Wellington anyway. If it’s a bar cafe style thing you’re after, maybe the button factory.

I would second The Button factory as a more Cafe Style bar. 

The issue here seems to be that Dad and and Uncle want a "proper" pub. 

A more halfway house maybe The Florence or Utopia. 

If they're not bothered about real ale there are many more options @YLN

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would second The Button factory as a more Cafe Style bar. 

The issue here seems to be that Dad and and Uncle want a "proper" pub. 

A more halfway house maybe The Florence or Utopia. 

If they're not bothered about real ale there are many more options @YLN

Thanks @sidcow and @Mark Albrighton 

We keep going to the Wellington because a cousin of ours thinks it's a nice place for a pint of proper ale. A cousin in his 80s. And it's fine. It's just seems very empty, cold, lacking in atmosphere. The interior is more like a community hall than a pub.

The Shakespeare Inn is always too busy whenever we go there, and my father thinks that he has nearly gotten in a fight there before for touching the bare back of a woman while he was trying to pass by.

The Trocadero is very loud and the televisions are in the worst places. It's hard to get to the bar, and harder to get a seat. And there are always very large men there shouting. And the bouncer in the middle of the day is just very strange to my countrified temperance

The Shakespeare on Temple St I remember going to early afternoon for a pie and it was nice. Good interior, quiet, a few other people keeping to themselves. We sat down and had our pie and a couple of pints and no one bothered us. No one fighting my old father, no large shouting men

I'll look into the button factory, and Primitivo

Have a think about Purecraft Bar & Kitchen - not far from the Wellington. 

More of a bar, than a pub. Industrial look about it. Nice though. Thats on Waterloo Street. 

Just by the Wellington on Bennetts Hill, on the corners, you have the Lost & Found and the Cosy Club. Again, not typical pubs. 

The Jekyll and Hyde in Brum has permanently closed. Shame. It never re-opened after the second lockdown 

It was a quirky place, but the location wasn't ideal. Was just a little bit out of the way for most 'crawls' 

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 22:25, Xela said:

The Jekyll and Hyde in Brum has permanently closed. Shame. It never re-opened after the second lockdown 

It was a quirky place, but the location wasn't ideal. Was just a little bit out of the way for most 'crawls' 

Yeah, I saw that, very sad. 

I do know a lot of people in the office blocks round there used to use it.  Hopefully someone will take it on after offices start to busy up a bit more in September. 

I've always wanted to go to The Red Lion in Claverdon after driving past it a few times and noticing the amazing view from the Beer Garden overlooking Miles of rolling hills. 

Finally went there yesterday.  I have to say the food was absolutely amazing, really top quality pub grub, dare I say the best chips I've ever had in my life? 

Had a pint in the beer garden with that view.  Shame it wasn't sunny, indeed a little chilly but still thoroughly enjoyed it.  Would highly recommend. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure why you are imagining that happening

Because that awkward part of town will have more available trade then? I know of lots of offices who aren't really starting back properly till mid September. 

New people took on The Tap and Spile.  The pub has a good name and was popular before, why wouldn't someone have a go? 

Â