The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

It’s just so grim that with all the chaos of this incompetent government, with a PM on holiday again, the fall back position is to promise to get the military to stop immigrants.

It’s a pretty base demographic being appealed to there. The thick and the racist.

But as we can see on here, they are among us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure why I'm trying but we'll try once more.

13 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

What have the Tories done in the last 10 years of power, talking tangible benefits; that:

1) Benefited you?

2) Benefited those less fortunate than you?

3) Benefited the nation as a whole?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s just so grim that with all the chaos of this incompetent government, with a PM on holiday again, the fall back position is to promise to get the military to stop immigrants.

It’s a pretty base demographic being appealed to there. The thick and the racist.

As I'm far from the first person to point out, the bleakest thing about it is the preview it gives us into the politics of the 2030s and 2040s as global warming really starts to bite and the numbers of climate refugees soar.

• Like 2

With reference to tory MP Atherton

Nasty piece of work, simply hoping the brexit knee jerk vote will see her through.

You just know they are the sort of people that like to argue All Lives Matter.

To think we used to debate whether this whole brexit thing would have the effect of giving these people more license to be who they really are.

• Like 4

On 17/08/2020 at 22:57, NurembergVillan said:

Never has the saying been more true: only millionaires and idiots vote Tory - check your bank account to find out which one you are.

paid pay day GIF

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the consensus seemed to be that Starmer is someone they could vote for

I did think before the 2019 GE that the best thing Labour could do at the time is somehow swap Corbyn out for Starmer. I thought Corbyn's brand had become so tainted that it was hopeless with him in charge.

Now, with the clown car Tories seemingly ruining the trust of everyone and finding all new demographics to wind up, I expected Labour to be streaming ahead. But they're not

And this is after all of the A level and GCSE balls ups. If the last 6 months haven't shifted the Tories below 40% then what will?

• Like 1

Also, Tories are for the first time in about 20 years getting some really bad press. I'm of the opinion that the press forms a lot of political opinions in the UK initially by spun headlines which are then reported on and talked about by the BBC and then filtering through current affairs and then conversations in the pub etc.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the polls start to shift after this kind of thing

15 minutes ago, darrenm said:

And this is after all of the A level and GCSE balls ups. If the last 6 months haven't shifted the Tories below 40% then what will?

But then you have Starmer actually telling everyone to send their kids back to school next month

He's doing well but I don't think that particular message is resonating well with parents and teachers alike.

I get why he's doing it but I think he really needs to be adding "if its safe to do so" to the message

And thats why I think its a zero sum gain for them at the minute with the focus on education

Also that 5pt gap is a lot less than it was

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Also, Tories are for the first time in about 20 years getting some really bad press. I'm of the opinion that the press forms a lot of political opinions in the UK initially by spun headlines which are then reported on and talked about by the BBC and then filtering through current affairs and then conversations in the pub etc.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the polls start to shift after this kind of thing

The main difference between now and then is the broader Labour Party. Starmer has the best individual ratings of any LOTO since Blair, but the difference is that Blair had a party that a majority of voters (60% iirc) said was a party that was ready to govern. Now, although Starmer comfortably leads Johnson on "who would be the better Prime Minister" question, the wider party still isn't trusted and it's barely over half the 60% figure above.

Starmer's challenge isn't to make the Tories look shit, but to make Labour look good. Unless he can do that, then those poll ratings won't change too much.

Up to now, he's not managed to do that. Partly by circumstance, but partly due to not doing it well enough. But that's probably for the other thread. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Starmer's challenge isn't to make the Tories look shit, but to make Labour look good. Unless he can do that, then those poll ratings won't change too much.

By and large he's playing it right , chip away at the government but try not to play politics over covid   , even if he's right , people seem to have some sympathy towards the govt. over the "unprecedented " times .

Take them to task once its over , the election is some way away, so he doesn't really need to peak too early   . 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

If you want a highly depressing experience, click through this:

Useful reminder that Facebook is the sewer of humanity as well. Mark Zuckerberg is one of the 5 richest people on the planet, and Facebook is one of the world's most successful companies. They could moderate this stuff if they wanted to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah, I don’t do facebook. I opened an account in a false name 2 years ago to get info on an album release, haven’t used it since other than the Messenger app on my phone.

Just look at the insight you're missing!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

By and large he's playing it right , chip away at the government but try not to play politics over covid   , even if he's right , people seem to have some sympathy towards the govt. over the "unprecedented " times .

Take them to task once its over , the election is some way away, so he doesn't really need to peak too early   . 

Sure, don't interrupt your enemy etc etc. But it wasn't really a comment on how Starmer has done - and I agree, broadly he's judged it about right.

It was more a comment on what it takes to shift an opinion poll and what needs to happen to push the Labour figure significantly up and the Tory figure significantly down.

• Like 1

Â