The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Some comments on the radio this morning from Matthew Parris, former Tory MP, speaking about Draab.

Basically says Johnson is morally unsuited to be leader of anything, he's a pathological liar, and a bag of wind, but he's better than Raab C. Brexit.

Parris starts at 15.35, comments about Draab about 18.00.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000594v

• Thanks 1

Michael Gove to pledge free UK citizenship for 3m EU nationals

Michael Gove will pledge free British citizenship for 3 million EU nationals after Brexit if he becomes prime minister, as well as abolishing the burden of providing proof of settled status, the Guardian understands.

The environment secretary, one of the leading figures in Vote Leave, is understood to believe strongly that the pledge would honour the promises given to EU citizens by that campaign during the 2016 referendum.

He has given his backing to a campaign by the Conservative party backbencher Alberto Costa, a leading champion of EU citizens’ rights, who said he had spent two months canvassing opinion from leadership candidates on the issue.

“Michael Gove has fully agreed to adopt my proposals and he will publicly announce that it was wrong to put EU citizens on the negotiation table in the first place,” Costa told the Guardian.

“But he will also go further and offer them British citizenship at no cost if he becomes prime minister. This is Michael’s way of saying to EU nationals: I’m sorry, the Vote Leave campaign was never about EU citizens’ rights.

“He is unambiguously demonstrating that leaving the EU is not about moving the goalposts of citizens’ rights and accordingly, he has my full support as a candidate for the premiership.”

Gove’s pledge, which he will announce on Tuesday, will offer British citizenship to those who wish to take it up, without cost, if EU citizens were present in the UK before the referendum, potentially saving them up to £1,000.

Those who do not wish to apply for citizenship will still be granted settled status, which under the agreement with the EU would continue to apply to EU arrivals during the transition period. However, Gove will say that as prime minister EU citizens will not need to supply proof and there will be a presumption of their right to remain.

This would bring UK into line with EU countries that merely require a migrant EU national to notify their town hall of their ID and address.

... more

'The Saj', according to that article will not be adopting the same position.

Edited by snowychap

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure it's possible much less than certain. ;)

Well it political terms I suppose I should phrase it differently. People will actively campaign against him at the grassroots level, It will have a negative effect (so less than zero being below the gain line if you like)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Well it political terms I suppose I should phrase it differently. People will actively campaign against him at the grassroots level, It will have a negative effect (so less than zero being below the gain line if you like)

No, fair enough. Having re-read, I get what you mean.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

He could, of course, be playing the long game to be the leader after the next one, or even the one after that

So sometime around March 2020 then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

He could, of course, be playing the long game to be the leader after the next one, or even the one after that

Sounds right to me.  They will swim to the very bottom of the xenophobic, unprincipled playing-to-the-membership barrel, get utterly stuffed, and seek to reinvent themselves.  He won't win this time, but will try to emerge smelling a bit less shitty than the rest of them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bickster said:

We don't even know what species he is so he could live for a few hundreds years more.   

• Haha 1

ACCIDENT-prone minister Chris Grayling’s transport department was sued for the third time in a month today as a trio of train giants launched legal action over his decision to bar them from the lucrative West Coast rail franchise.

Richard Branson’s Virgin Trains, along with partners Stagecoach and France’s SNCF, filed a claim with the High Court, claiming the department crippled any chance of a competitive tendering process on that franchise. 

It comes just weeks after P&O sued the department over Grayling’s ferry fiasco and Arriva and Stagecoach launched actions over the East Midlands franchise.

The train operators are heading to court because Grayling had insisted new rail bidders take on billions of pounds in potential pension liabilities, disqualifying those who did not comply.

Standard

More public money down the pan.

Obviously the govt will be sued a lot more if they continue to empower private interests against public interests.

That's what the Yanks have in mind post Brexit with their trade deal.

Â