The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

48 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What does she say then? You cant say black you can't brown you can't say coloured. 

It's beyond a joke. Black people call us white people I don't get offended by so why should this matter? 

Should lammy be sacked for calling celebs white people when he was talking about comic relief?? 

I'll make it simple Dem. Coloureds was a class of people between Black and White in Apartheid South Africa, it meant mixed race. That's why it isn't a term to be used now, it has history and not a very pleasant one

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Coloureds was a class of people between Black and White in Apartheid South Africa, it meant mixed race. That's why it isn't a term to be used now, it has history and not a very pleasant one

Might I suggest that although the term isn't to be used now in polite society, it certainly is still in SA (in certain quarters). Cue intro to "I've never met a nice...."

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'll make it simple Dem. Coloureds was a class of people between Black and White in Apartheid South Africa, it meant mixed race. That's why it isn't a term to be used now, it has history and not a very pleasant one

I think the world's becoming too pc now mate. Maybe we should continue this is the racism thread? 

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

FWIW  ,  they still use it there   ..I've run a  few  surveys out there and the classification they use for race is  - Black / White /Coloured / Indian

which surprised me the first time I saw it I must admit  , but it seems to be acceptable language out there  ... not relevant to Rudd's slip yesterday  , but relevant for the history lesson being handed out to Dem :)

I don't think the world is becoming too PC. If somebody feels offended by something, let them.

I have a problem with people being offended on behalf of other people.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't think the world is becoming too PC. If somebody feels offended by something, let them.

I have a problem with people being offended on behalf of other people.

Problem is , Rudd thing probably being a good example , a lot of people aren't offended by what Rudd said , they are offended because she is a Tory and said it  ..hence they take to twitter with their faux outrage  , demand she resign etc ... I don't think the word she used was really the issue for them just the excuse... I've no problem with Diane Abbot finding it offensive , even if I think she overlooked the message and intent from Rudd to point score  , but  I get pissed off when some guardian reader type  decides to find it offensive on our behalf and takes to Facebook  / Twitter etc to tell as why we should be offended and call anyone that doesn't agree a Nazi   ... they don't seem to realise that for every Guardian reader social warrior it empowers some EDL type social warrior to say the world has gone PC mad , blame the Muslims and say how its a disgrace that some of our ex -military don't have council homes but immigrants do and so on ...  Yax- Lennon / Robinson that you created a thread  on the other week is the result of people with nothing to say having too much to say  , I doubt the genie can ever be put back in the bottle and I fear we will see many many more naughty boys rather than messiahs

anyway I'm rambling and not making much sense ,  guess what i'm trying to say is Political correctness isn't a bad thing per se , it's political agendas that are a bad thing 

Just now, snowychap said:

If that's the case, it may be an idea to give up on these rambling rants about 'guardian reader types'.

i was struggling for a definition  and it seemed a better choice than writing left wing vegan eco warrior , but  tbh I thought the intellectual guardian reading  people on VT reading it would understand the sentiment , guess i was giving them too much credit  :) 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i was struggling for a definition  and it seemed a better choice than writing left wing vegan eco warrior , but  tbh I thought the intellectual guardian reading  people on VT reading it would understand the sentiment , guess i was giving them too much credit  :)

I don't think anyone had any troubling understanding your allusion.

It's disappointing that this is what you mistakenly inferred from my post rather than the actual point of it, i.e. that rambling rants with political agendas don't seem like the appropriate thing to be undertaken by someone making the claim that 'political agendas are a bad thing'.

Edited by snowychap
I'm not sorry. :)

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

FWIW  ,  they still use it there   ..I've run a  few  surveys out there and the classification they use for race is  - Black / White /Coloured / Indian

which surprised me the first time I saw it I must admit  , but it seems to be acceptable language out there  ... not relevant to Rudd's slip yesterday  , but relevant for the history lesson being handed out to Dem :)

Yes the South African cricket team has a quota based on having two black Africans and a certain number of other 'coloured' players e.g. Cape coloured, Asian, mixed race etc.  At the end of the day it's usually the word that follows the adjective that is the offensive bit, Rudd's main purpose was sticking up for Dianne Abbott so should get the benefit of the doubt, it was a slip up and she apologised almost immediately.

At the point the clip starts was Self  blaming anti Semitism on Brexit ? !!!

seeing the clip although Francois seems to have not been listening to what was actually said  , Self himslef does say EVERY racist and anti Semite voted Brexit , he then backed tracked on that to say Every racist and anti Semite pretty much probably voted Brexit (I suspect )   .... if someone made a sweeping statement on VT that every xxxx is a  xxxx it would have been challenged in seconds but not when it’s for the purposes of  ABT , then it’s seen as proof of superior intellect 

as a side , I’ve only seen Self a few times on TV but he always acts and comes across so smug .. as @chrisp65 is his best mate can you confirm if he is always like this :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, peterms said:

The response to that will be condemnation of the tweeter for calling Amber Rudd & Karen Bradley “dogs”

probably.

• Like 1

Â