The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

I don’t think some sort of civic service is a bad idea, I think everyone sees this as army conscription which is why it stinks, but if it’s the odd weekend with the RNLI or with assisting charities etc then it could be attractive. It can’t be compulsory though, that’s ridiculous from the party who believe in choice. 

Not looked at loads of details but if it was a civic service for any 18 year old not in work or education then I don't think it's a bad idea at all

But that's not what this is is it?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jareth said:

but if it’s the odd weekend with the RNLI or with assisting charities etc then it could be attractive. It can’t be compulsory though, that’s ridiculous from the party who believe in choice. 

You can already do that and volunteer and do unpaid work for a charity. It was confirmed this morning that if you take the non military service option then it is a compulsory 25 days unpaid work. It is an absolute piss take to expect an 18 year old adult either in work or full time study/part time work to on top of a likely already 40+ hour working/study week to do a compulsory 8 hour unpaid shift every other weekend.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Just had a conversation with one of the old guys at the local coffee shop. Not a gammon but is a Man Utd fan.

He thought NS was a good idea as it would stop knife crime (?). I pointed out that the Army, Police and NHS have enough problems and won't want to deal with a bunch of unskilled, disinterested labour which they would be expected to mobilise, equip and train. He didn't go as far as admitting to changing his mind, but I think he'll stop talking about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it's been clear for years that there wasn't really much talent left in their party, a situation brought on by Boris' Brexit loyalty purge, but it's astonishing to watch them making up policy on the fly desperately reacting to an election called by their own leader. Just when you think the incompetence can't be any more incredible.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Training to be a Special Constable takes 13-14 weekend over a 6 month period

Erm..

The training to be an on call firefighter usually takes a couple of years, and is done over some intensive full weeks of training.

And what is the NHS going to do with thousands of untrained 18 year olds? Letting them anywhere near patients will be shut down faster than you can say safeguarding.

It's as if they just made this up on the spot and haven't consulted anyone who knows anything at all about anything.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The training to be an on call firefighter usually takes a couple of years, and is done over some intensive full weeks of training.

And what is the NHS going to do with thousands of untrained 18 year olds? Letting them anywhere near patients will be shut down faster than you can say safeguarding.

It's as if they just made this up on the spot and haven't consulted anyone who knows anything at all about anything.

Well yes quite

Lance Corporal Jones was running around Sunak's house on Saturday quite clearly

From the party that only one day ago were “sticking to the plan” against the party that had no plan (but obviously do)… this is quite clearly;

• Batshit crazy (Cameron once floated a similar idea and it was quickly put back in Pandora’s Box)
  • Totally thought up on the fly (as evidenced by nearly every comment made on it by anyone with two brain cells in touching distance of each other)
  • Launched out of sheer desperation.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's bad enough dealing with work experience kids in a financial services office job. 

It sucks away resources who are all busy overworked people who also know they won't get any long term help/benefit from losing their precious time.  And there is very little genuine work you can get them doing anyway. 

It's just a terrible idea that will just drive inefficiency into any organisation they're crowbarred into. 

A typical "sounds good" policy to man in the pub who isn't thinking at all about the ramifications of it. 

• Like 1

I joined the Army as an 18 year old and my basic training was 9 months. My technical training was another 2 years. The average posting to a working unit is 2-3 years. In my first I also continued my tech training until I completed my HND.

National service for 12 months is just not worth it, for anyone. It makes as much sense as Diane Abbott's 10000 extra police officers for £300000, yet doesn't seem to be as ridiculed.

Barmy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phily85 said:

Waiting to find out his 2nd cousin has the military uniform contract

Screenshot_2024-05-26-19-45-20-58_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Gets my vote.

I'm off to the boozer for a pint of mild with Sid James. 

I've got friends who are conservative councillors, I have friends who are conservative political aides, I have friends who are ordinary voters, well, not ordinary voters...

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's been clear for years that there wasn't really much talent left in their party, a situation brought on by Boris' Brexit loyalty purge, but it's astonishing to watch them making up policy on the fly desperately reacting to an election called by their own leader. Just when you think the incompetence can't be any more incredible.

I think the Brexit loyalty thing was started by May in one of the worst tactical moves possible. Johnson definitely  accelerated it - there was a very strong vibe of non Kool Aid drinkers being persona non grata.  But May was the one that brought in many ministers that had backed Brexit purely on the basis of that rather  than competence  and that set an already low bar even lower. 

So we’ve had there is potential for jail leaked…

And fining the parents of 18 year olds floated by the Torygraph. Old enough to vote and be classed as a adult with responsibility for their actions but the parents get fined… How’s that going to work then :D 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

So we’ve had there is potential for jail leaked…

And fining the parents of 18 year olds floated by the Torygraph. Old enough to vote and be classed as a adult with responsibility for their actions but the parents get fined… How’s that going to work then :D 

Same as not sending them to school has potential for jail too, I bet nobody ever has though.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Same as not sending them to school has potential for jail too, I bet nobody ever has though.

Oh I forgot the other one. Banned from public sector jobs if you don’t do national service. 
You can’t be a nurse or a doctor because you don’t care for your community :D 

• Haha 1

Â