The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep my bad, though it does point to how stupid this has become already that I just accepted it

Wasn't a dig at you at all mate, you'd kind of expect that if a mainstream political journalist is publicly sharing it they've done a bit of due diligence

I can see why the average person would just skim past it, laugh and not question if it's legit, we do after all live in a world in which this happens

862241.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Leadsom ... gone then. 

As a father, this is the best news I've read all day

At this rate it's hard to see how they're going to stand a candidate in each seat unless they unleash the bastard army of Boris Johnson.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, choffer said:

"I don't get why I have to shit while being thrown out of the window, but tradition is tradition"

36 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The whole thing just shows a total lack of common sense. 

They're told important announcements are made outside the door of number 10 and there is just no critical thinking about if it would be the best thing to do when it's pissing down. Do one is questioning how it might look. 

If there had been storm force winds, lightning and hail they'd still have done it.

It's just mental and you can see when it's something as simple and obvious as that how they get into such difficulty on proper thorny, difficult issues. They're incapable of thinking things through. Of varying their course. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The whole thing just shows a total lack of common sense. 

They're told important announcements are made outside the door of number 10 and there is just no critical thinking about if it would be the best thing to do when it's pissing down. Do one is questioning how it might look. 

If there had been storm force winds, lightning and hail they'd still have done it.

It's just mental and you can see when it's something as simple and obvious as that how they get into such difficulty on proper thorny, difficult issues. They're incapable of thinking things through. Of varying their course. 

That’s the Tory govt of the last 9 years at least in a nutshell. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

He hasn’t been to see that Kingy bloke yet has he?
Just imagine he cancels the General Election….

Wednesday just gone, at his regular weekly meeting. I might be wrong, but I don't think there's any legal mechanism to stop the election happening now. Writs have been issued, the Parliament has legally ended, there are currently no MPs and no way that they can now be brought back.

In other "end of Tory days" facts, of the top eight candidates in the 2019 leadership election, only one (Hunt) is standing in this election. 

Johnson, Gove, Javid, Raab, Leadsom, Stewart, Hancock being the other seven.

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Wednesday just gone, at his regular weekly meeting. I might be wrong, but I don't think there's any legal mechanism to stop the election happening now. Writs have been issued, the Parliament has legally ended, there are currently no MPs and no way that they can now be brought back.

In other "end of Tory days" facts, of the top eight candidates in the 2019 leadership election, only one (Hunt) is standing in this election. 

Johnson, Gove, Javid, Raab, Leadsom, Stewart, Hancock being the other seven.

Parliament hasn’t legally ended, it’s been prorogued but not dissolved was my understanding from later research

Here’s David Allen Green's opinion

The best answer is perhaps that the general election could theoretically be revoked until parliament is actually dissolved on 30th May. But a reversal would either require a change of heart by the current prime minister, or a change of the current prime minister. The latter would require the King to be placed in the position, in the next week, of selecting a new premier who can command the confidence of the House of Commons. Unless Sunak resigns, it is hard to see how this could happen in the time available.

Prospect

Posted (edited)

Even if it could technically be cancelled, it's incredibly unlikely. There's not been anywhere near enough noise about booting out Sunak to think it'd happen, the knives would already need to be out to hit the deadline, I think

I suspect that Sunak and his team will look at the last 60 hours and think "yeah, ok, we **** up here", but he simply can't row it back. He may be technically able to, but could you imagine? He'd be an absolute laughing stock, and if nothing else that *would* give the party time to think "right, we've got 6 months to replace this guy and try and recover in the polls". He's got to see it through.

Edited by Davkaus

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Even if it could technically be cancelled, it's incredibly unlikely. There's not been anywhere near enough noise about booting out Sunak to think it'd happen, the knives would already need to be out to hit the deadline, I think

I suspect that Sunak and his team will look at the last 60 hours and think "yeah, ok, we **** up here", but he simply can't row it back. He may be technically able to, but could you imagine? He'd be an absolute laughing stock, and if nothing else that *would* give the party time to think "right, we've got 6 months to replace this guy and try and recover in the polls". He's got to see it through.

Yeah I agree, was more of a thinking out loud moment last night of he possibilities

• Like 1

I'd love to see it though, let the final desperate death throes of these words removed be something that sticks in the minds of the public for a generation. At this point, the more chaos, the better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'd love to see it though, let the final desperate death throes of these words removed be something that sticks in the minds of the public for a generation. At this point, the more chaos, the better.

I’ve said it for months and months, we are living in one of those periods of time that will be studied by history and politics students for generations to come.

And I’m even more convinced that we are witnessing the death of the Tory Party as we know it.

• Like 2

Nothing screams party unity like a call for the return of a previously disgraced PM during a General Election campaign that your party has called and is fighting under a different party leader :D 

I mean does she realise how much Johnson is detested?Has she been paying any attention to the COVID enquiry this week.

A pebble on the beach has more intelligence.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Mainstream journos now saying it out loud

Left wing commentator more than Journalist, really. Doesn't make him necessarily wrong, mind.

But they're like cockroaches, the tories. Hard to kill, they'll mutate into maybe two different entities - so self replicating mutant cockroaches will be our overlords in 10 years time. Nice!

Â