The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are the Tories writing their own headlines now? Look at the absolute state of todays Express

IMG-0342.jpg

I couldn't resist finding the article online.

Despite doom-mongers writing off global Britain, has provided immense opportunities for a myriad of companies that are the backbone of the economy.

Since we quit the bloc on January 31, 2020 Brandauer, a 160-year-old family firm, has secured more than £2million of new business with clients in France, Holland and Slovakia. it has invested heavily in technology and staff to offer prices that rival China and quality that beats competitors in Germany. Central to its success has been reshoring.

Looking past the fact that the piece reads like it was made by an 11 year old, crap English and all (and it was written by their Chief Reporter!), the best example they could find of Brexit Britain's success is... an obscure company who found a little bit of business within EU countries?

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I couldn't resist finding the article online.

Looking past the fact that the piece reads like it was made by an 11 year old, crap English and all (and it was written by their Chief Reporter!), the best example they could find of Brexit Britain's success is... an obscure company who found a little bit of business within EU countries?

I’d love to dig a level down and ask them how Brexit made it happen. What about leaving the trading block made them win business from France they would have otherwise not have got.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is love to dig a level down and ask them how Brexit made it happen. What about leaving the trading block made them win business from France they would have otherwise not have got.

I'd also ask why they firms left Britain in the first place, given how business investment has been comparatively underperforming since 2016... 

UK business investment expected to rebound strongly in 2022 | Financial  Times

Edited by wishywashy

Brandauer are a company that have been wheeled out a few times on Midlands Today, they are if I recall pressers of things like razor blades, nibs etc, small precision metal parts. They are doing well not that I can see due to us not being part of the EU, but due to a weak pound and therefore being able to be competitive against foreign imports that seemingly have a higher price. Yes they may have found trade in Europe but the weak pound has been their greatest asset according to a 2022 article in The Guardian, and in another article in the telegraph in 2022, and in a BBC article in 2019, and a July 2022 article in Global finance Magazine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/26/its-a-major-concern-weak-pound-takes-fizz-out-of-craft-brewers-profits

For businesses whose exports are more valuable than their imports, it is a different story. The metal stamping company Brandauer, which turned 160 years old in March, sends products such as razor blades and components for electrical devices like kettles all over the world.

“At the minute, it’s upside for us,” said the the Brandauer chief executive, Rowan Crozier. “It’s quite a good opportunity for us at the moment.”

A weaker pound does mean Brandauer has to contend with a rising cost of imports from China (paid for mainly in US dollars) and Europe (paid in euros), but on balance it benefits Crozier’s business.

“Dollar-pound, with where it is, it makes us look cheaper,” he said. Sterling costs, such as paying its 69 employees and running the factory, are the bigger part of the cost of Brandauer’s products than imported commodities.

• 2 weeks later...

How are the Home Office and Rishi Sunak getting away with this?

The backlog of asylum claims in the UK has hit a new record high, according to Home Office figures.

A total of 175,457 people were waiting for an initial decision on an asylum application in the UK at the end of June 2023, up 44% at the end of June 2022 and the highest figure since current records began in 2010.

It means the total cost of the asylum has now reached £3.97bn a year - up by £1.85 billion in 2022/23, from £2.12 billion in 2021/22. In 2012/13, the total was £500.2 million.

£4b a year (£11m PER DAY) because they still haven’t got their shit together to process applications after several years. The Tories don’t complain about the cost of this do they? Must be funded from the money tree.

link

Respect to Nadine Dorries, the longest non resignation in history has potentially taken her in to the new rules where MP’s that lose their seat or stand down have their ‘compensation’ doubled from what it used to be. 

From £172K, MP’s will now get £344K if they lose their seat at the next election.

Feels a bit inflationary that? Not sure how it slipped through, what with the tories usually so tight on allowing any extra money for care home workers, or teaching assistants, or train ticket office staff.

**I’ll leave it here, but it was wrong by an order of magnitude!, I don’t understand the difference between years and months*

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Respect to Nadine Dorries, the longest non resignation in history has potentially taken her in to the new rules where MP’s that lose their seat or stand down have their ‘compensation’ doubled from what it used to be. 

From £172K, MP’s will now get £344K if they lose their seat at the next election.

Feels a bit inflationary that? Not sure how it slipped through, what with the tories usually so tight on allowing any extra money for care home workers, or teaching assistants, or train ticket office staff.

Not quite, if I recall it's gone from 2 months salary to 4 months. I think, and that's my get out if I am wrong it's gone to 17k. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's hard to justify any sort of payment for MP's that lose their seats - wouldn't something more 'normal' be useful in this case - you're being laid off - three months wages or something like that?

While I disagree with the amount being paid, I would have struggled trying to return to what I do after what might be a 5 year break. But then I believe that the state should support a much better support for all people made redundant.

I might feel different if it was actually a fixed contract term, which might be another way around it.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

It's hard to justify any sort of payment for MP's that lose their seats - wouldn't something more 'normal' be useful in this case - you're being laid off - three months wages or something like that?

The second part seems fair. I think that they are effectively made redundant, so some payment is justified. They lose their job, so they get (say) something like 2 or 3 weeks wages for every year they were employed - so a single term MP (5 years) would get say 10 or 15 weeks wages and a long term MP would get more. I think by law, the statutory amount is 1 week per year's employment, though many employers do better. Mine is 3 weeks/yr (up to a max of 72 weeks total) and the first 50 grand (or maybe it's 30) is tax free.

I mean these people are basically useless at anything, so they need something to tide them over. What they actually get is as per Pete's post above, I think

• Like 1

I guess it's weird because they're a strange mix between redundancy and termination.

They're let go because we no longer need them, but they're also sacked because their employer is telling them their performance hasn't been good enough. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The money is also meant to help with the winding down of their offices. There are people to be laid off, leases and presumably business contracts for IT and phones etc to be cancelled. 

I don't know enough about how much they actually get and how much these expenses are but it does seem fair for some money to be provided. 

Yeah, it's probably a money making exercise though.  But it's not just evil Tories who get these payments, it's all. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Not quite, if I recall it's gone from 2 months salary to 4 months. I think, and that's my get out if I am wrong it's gone to 17k. 

It’s somewhere between the two, but much closer to your figure. I was listening to an article on the radio, they mentioned the 4 months salary, then they mentioned they also got all those ancillary expenses for staff and then they also get a ‘wrap up’ payment to cover handing over case work to the next MP and closing down any offices that have been hired or local expenses for the constituency team etc..

• Like 2

Â