The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Where do you even start trying to fix this mess?

Great question. I am clutching at straws here but I am hoping there’s a bigger plan which for obvious reason LT cannot shout from the rooftops. 

She seems to be quietly aligning us back with Europe. In the last week we’ve heard about relaxing immigration rules to attract workers, and also joining the new European nations club.

The problem will be time, they are running out of it fast.

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Depends on your definition of rich. Top 1%, yes

Otherwise, no, not really

Even in that top 1% it's not completely cut and dried. I was chatting with a client of mine at the end of last week, they have a household income of £800,000, so are set to do pretty well out of the whole thing.

Unfortunately, that has coincided with their £1.2m mortgage going to 1.2% to 3.7%, and a near £3,000 increase in their monthly payment. Which obviously they can afford, but it didn't sound like they were loving these decisions all that much. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Depends on your definition of rich. Top 1%, yes

Otherwise, no, not really

Everyone on £50k or more is gonna have an extra ~£500 in their pockets. If they are first time buyers they’re saving thousands. Another £500 or so next April too when the 20% tax level becomes 19%.

It’s only the lowest earners or those on benefits that felt no gain.

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Even in that top 1% it's not completely cut and dried. I was chatting with a client of mine at the end of last week, they have a household income of £800,000, so are set to do pretty well out of the whole thing.

Unfortunately, that has coincided with their £1.2m mortgage going to 1.2% to 3.7%, and a near £3,000 increase in their monthly payment. Which obviously they can afford, but it didn't sound like they were loving these decisions all that much. 

The interest rate decision wasn’t made by the government. The government have helped them massively pay the new amount.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Great question. I am clutching at straws here but I am hoping there’s a bigger plan which for obvious reason LT cannot shout from the rooftops. 

She seems to be quietly aligning us back with Europe. In the last week we’ve heard about relaxing immigration rules to attract workers, and also joining the new European nations club.

The problem will be time, they are running out of it fast.

Attract workers who wont want to come because the money they earn here now is a hell of a lot less valuable than the money they earned here 10 years ago.

Also, this new nations thing is a political concept, not a trading bloc. It's only designed to get some kind of cordial dialogue on policitical matters. It won't at all result in less trade barriers.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

The interest rate decision wasn’t made by the government. The government have helped them massively pay the new amount.

The interest rate decisions are a reaction in large part to policy choices made by the Government. 

Edited by ml1dch

Just now, desensitized43 said:

Attract workers who wont want to come because the money they earn here now is a hell of a lot less valuable than the money they earned here 10 years ago.

Also, this new nations thing is a political concept, not a trading bloc. It's only designed to get some kind of cordial dialogue on policitical matters. It won't at all result in less trade barriers.

Not initially I agree, but it might be something that the EU can do a deal with down the line. Even if not, it’s a step in the right direction after the last guy burnt pretty much all bridges with our neighbours.

10 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

£800k income, extra £3k to pay for the £1.2 million house. My heart *****ing bleeds for them chap.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The interest rate decisions are a reaction in a large part to policy choices made by the Government. 

I don’t agree. Raging inflation is worldwide due to issues post covid. Yes our terrible government haven’t done much to help but they aren’t the main reason for it.

Interest rates have gone up all over the world. Only here have the government helped wealthier people pay their huge mortgages by cutting taxes. They’ve done them a massive favour. 

Also, if their mortgage has gone from 1.2% to 3.7% then it’ll be driven by their fixed rate coming to an end and then not renewing it in time. That can’t be pinned on the Tories either.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I don’t agree. Raging inflation is worldwide due to issues post covid. Yes our terrible government haven’t done much to help but they aren’t the main reason for it.

Interest rates have gone up all over the world. Only here have the government helped wealthier people pay their huge mortgages by cutting taxes. They’ve done them a massive favour. 

Higher interest rates is a deliberate part of Friday's (not a real) budget. It's not a design flaw - they wanted a larger rise on Thursday than they got. They are hoping for higher, quicker increases.

Just now, ml1dch said:

Higher interest rates is a deliberate part of Friday's (not a real) budget. It's not a design flaw - they wanted a larger rise on Thursday than they got. They are hoping for higher, quicker increases.

Higher interest rates are needed to bring down the record inflation. That’s a must and everyone is doing it.

Only here have those with massive mortgages been given a massive handout of cash to help pay it.

They should be thanking this government, not slating them. Nobody else would do it.

Well in my opinion the only way out of this now is to vote in some extreme right wing fascists, someone who would scare the shit out of even Rees-Mogg. It's the only logical thing to do. 

• Haha 1

Shouldn't take too much to work out who this is

Sky News Blog

The disquiet with Conservative MPs over the mini-budget is growing.

One Tory MP who served as a minister under Boris Johnson has told Sky News: "Liz is f*****."

"She is taking on markets and the Bank of England.

"Her, Kwasi, Philp and Simon [McGee] are playing A-level economics with people's lives. You cannot have monetary policy and fiscal policy at loggerheads. Something has to give."

The source also claimed moves to trigger a vote of no confidence in Ms Truss's leadership were already underway:

"They are already putting letters in as think she will crash the economy. The tax cuts don’t matter as all noise anyway - mainly reversing back to the status quo this year...

• Like 1

Â