The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

59 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Sarcasm, cynicism, irony. It’s a tricky thing to pull off on a messageboard but god bless all those that try.

You're welcome buddy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

They'll be on to the financial equivalent of pulling the copper wiring out of the walls soon. 

Didn't they already start that by selling off all the HS2 stage 2 land for a loss (probably to their mates)

• Like 1

Just now, Mozzavfc said:

Didn't they already start that by selling off all the HS2 stage 2 land for a loss (probably to their mates)

As despicable as that was, and I called it out here when it started, I make that more a 'nice bonus' from the party making a heil Mary appeal to voters decision, rather than the actions of a party knowing the games up and just filling their (and their friends) boots while they can.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Whoopee, another popular policy. 

The bankers bonus one is one of those ones that looks absolutely terrible, but has some merit. They’ll pay more tax on bigger bonuses, obviously. More money for the treasury.  It’s also one of those cause and effect things. Country morally outraged (rightly) at bankers wages after the crash. So banks stopped giving big wage rises, and instead paid big bonuses. So government puts a cap on bonuses to stem the new outrage…

The whole thing is obscene of course, but there’s a mathematical case to remove the cap, if absolutely no moral one.

On the charging for green bins thing - is it really including the food waste in that Council's area? All 3 places I've lived since the multibin systems came into place have charged extra on top of your Council Tax for a green wheelie bin for garden waste (The stuff that could go on a compost heap - grass cuttings, hedge trimmings etc), but not for food waste collection - even though those bins are also green.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

The bankers bonus one is one of those ones that looks absolutely terrible, but has some merit. They’ll pay more tax on bigger bonuses, obviously. More money for the treasury.  It’s also one of those cause and effect things. Country morally outraged (rightly) at bankers wages after the crash. So banks stopped giving big wage rises, and instead paid big bonuses. So government puts a cap on bonuses to stem the new outrage…

The whole thing is obscene of course, but there’s a mathematical case to remove the cap, if absolutely no moral one.

I work for a Bank and usually get an annual bonus but even I'm not keen on this. 

The tax argument is questionable as they'll find workarounds to minimise how much is paid.

The big question for me on the bonus is how is it quantified? What are the targets? What are the incentives it drives? Will it lead to high risk actions etc?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I work for a Bank and usually get an annual bonus but even I'm not keen on this. 

The tax argument is questionable as they'll find workarounds to minimise how much is paid.

The big question for me on the bonus is how is it quantified? What are the targets? What are the incentives it drives? Will it lead to high risk actions etc?

Totally. I’m not arguing for it, just kind of thinking out loud, maybe. Even the limit wasn’t really much of one. They ( you?) were allowed to get double or triple your basic salary after the bonus, even allowing for the limit, I think. Not exactly “til the pips squeak”. It seemed like it was a token gesture for PR purposes, rather than any move towards social equality.

18 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

To be fair they’ve also indefinitely postponed bringing in the policy to stop no fault evictions.

So its not just Bankers getting one last hand job, its Landlords too.

An absolute disgrace and a licence to continue ****** people over.

18 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

To be fair they’ve also indefinitely postponed bringing in the policy to stop no fault evictions.

They reported this on ITV News last night. They stuck a nice knife in though when they said it had been opposed by a number of Tory MP's, who are themselves landlords. 

I've been reading the Labour Party thread though and they seem to be pretty much the same so I'm voting Tory next election.  They're basically the same anyway.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, blandy said:

My feeling as well. The reality is it's actually only a small amount of people that receive these obscene bonus' it's a policy that doesn't warrant the media attention it gets. 

More tax in the coffers is a good think and as other have said, transparency about what constitutes reward is more important. 

I very much doubt that any of these bankers are worse off as a result of this policy. 

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

My feeling as well. The reality is it's actually only a small amount of people that receive these obscene bonus' it's a policy that doesn't warrant the media attention it gets. 

More tax in the coffers is a good think and as other have said, transparency about what constitutes reward is more important. 

I very much doubt that any of these bankers are worse off as a result of this policy. 

Yeah. Though removing the cap will make some, highly paid already, bankers better off. Which is a terrible look when everyone else is struggling with high prices and so on. 

It’s the simple optics of perceived fair play.

They’ve announced they want to tighten up on benefits, they’ve told the north they can’t have their levelling up they were promised, they’ve told public sector workers there’s no money, they’ve braced us all for a continuing tough time.

Then announced no limits to bankers bonuses, one of the route causes of a recent economic collapse.

It underlined who they are here to serve. I thought it was a stroke of genius from whatever Labour bod has infiltrated them.

Next week, a pound tax on tea bags to pay for a pound off champagne.

• Like 3

Â