The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Go full anti-woke and hoover up the loony vote. Somehow get Farage in as leader.

Not as mad as it sounds, as @bickstermentioned in the by-election thread, Tamworth was still over 51% throbber. If Farage merged all the Tory, UKIP, BF, Reform votes then they’ve got a chance.

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I dont know the answer and have no suggestions, but what can the tories do that would make them electable. Not talking about undoing anything, Brexit etc. What could they do in the next 12 months that might see them win the next GE. New leader? Tax cuts? Help with cost of living?

The things i would expect:

1. discredit labour policies

2. target Starmer as someone with no experience and an unproven leader

3. Attempt to highlight things they perceive to have gone well (vaccination support, some brexit deals, support for Israel/Ukraine

4. Promise some classic tory policies 

5. Target some policies they believe latent labour supporters believe to be important (were not going to push Ulez down your throats, we'll debate the BBC license fee, etc).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not as mad as it sounds, as @bickstermentioned in the by-election thread, Tamworth was still over 51% throbber. If Farage merged all the Tory, UKIP, BF, Reform votes then they’ve got a chance.

That means they just about retain their 55th safest seat. It doesn't mean they win a General Election. If the lesson that they take from the two last night is that they should be even more UKKIPpy than they are already, their defeat will be even bigger. 

• Like 3

You see what the ONS are reporting as people’s main concerns and you see the tories wanting to campaign on small boats and women only wards in hospitals and banning seven bins.

They need a leadership challenge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Fortunately, next Monday marks 12 months of Sunak being leader. And 12 months is the date from which letters can go in to get rid of him.

You know what to do, Tory MPs.

edit - or rather, letters that go in can have the effect of causing a leadership challenge. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Go full anti-woke and hoover up the loony vote. Somehow get Farage in as leader.

No chance.  The Dolphin would stand against him in whatever seat they tried to parachute him into.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I dont know the answer and have no suggestions, but what can the tories do that would make them electable. Not talking about undoing anything, Brexit etc. What could they do in the next 12 months that might see them win the next GE. New leader? Tax cuts? Help with cost of living?

It's too late. Too much has happened. There's nothing they can do now. 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You see what the ONS are reporting as people’s main concerns and you see the tories wanting to campaign on small boats and women only wards in hospitals and banning seven bins.

Yes the only people I know that think migration is the major issue are Farage supporters who watch GB News

Edited by PaulC

56 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Fortunately, next Monday marks 12 months of Sunak being leader. And 12 months is the date from which letters can go in to get rid of him.

You know what to do, Tory MPs.

edit - or rather, letters that go in can have the effect of causing a leadership challenge. 

There have already been rumours of letters going in prior to the 12 month moratorium ending

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

That's pretty much what they're doing. It's not going to get them elected and is pushing voters away in droves. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It's too late. Too much has happened. There's nothing they can do now. 

I wouldn't go that far. But I think that the only thing that can lead to a Tory government after the next election is stuff happening that they aren't in control of. Labour could have a massive impolosion. It would need to be huge, but it wouldn't be impossible. If World War III breaks out two weeks before the election, I imagine the Tories would probably win on a continuity ticket. 

There are no policy levers that they can pull which will make a difference for them, so agree that there's nothing THEY can do. Actually, I suppose they could start World War III, but I imagine the country wouldn't thank them in those circumstances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It might win them back a safest of safe seats but it's not going to get them elected. They'll just get trounced in all other places. 

What. They need to do is walk away from all the throbber issues and appeal more to the mid ground, shift more to the left. The further right they go the worse they will lose. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

1. People hate politicians making false promises: Promise nothing

2. People hate divided parties, so to cover the division in the party a complete vow of silence from all members and MPs must be adhered to between now and the next election.

I thought for a minute you were talking about Labour under Starmer 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What. They need to do is walk away from all the throbber issues and appeal more to the mid ground, shift more to the left. The further right they go the worse they will lose. 

He's stuck though. Any move to the centre (which also isn't his own politics, and Prime Ministers normally tend to want to stick with what they actually want) will be met with dissent from dozens in his own party. The last thing he needs right now is the likes of Braverman resigning, briefing against him and preparing her own leadership bid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Bring Boris back! He's an election winner and got Brexit done.

(In case of doubt, I don't mean it and know he's banned from parliament)

Super-Boris-460.jpg

You just know that JRM will blame their ongoing trouncing on getting rid of BoJo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

He's stuck though. Any move to the centre (which also isn't his own politics, and Prime Ministers normally tend to want to stick with what they actually want) will be met with dissent from dozens in his own party. The last thing he needs right now is the likes of Braverman resigning, briefing against him and preparing her own leadership bid.

This would be glorious.

The absolute end of the Tories.

Â