The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Tackling inflation is what needs to happen right now

This is next to impossible unless you want to hand a victory to Putin

Also, tackling inflation in the eyes of the Tory Party is keeping your pay low or even axing your job

Well you would have to think the markets will be happy with Sunak. This hopefully will feed through to bond values and pensions and mortgages saving the man in the street and the country a ton of money though we'll never get back to where we were before the Liz Truss cluster ****. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well you would have to think the markets will be happy with Sunak.

Not so sure about that. Better than Truss yes but I think the markets are fully aware of what his medium term policy agenda is and I'm not sure they'll like that so much. He's very much in the clean Brexit, Policy Exchange camp (where he used to work). You know that thing that if you strip away Covid and Ukraine, has really f***ed the economy.

He's still a right wing, small government, low taxation throbber at the end of the day. He just knows he needs to balance the books first and how he achieves that none of us will like as he'sliekly to want to do it much faster than most of us would like him to

The NHS really isn't safe in his hands, nor are lots of other local and national government jobs

Just now, bickster said:

Not so sure about that. Better than Truss yes but I think the markets are fully aware of what his medium term policy agenda is and I'm not sure they'll like that so much. He's very much in the clean Brexit, Policy Exchange camp (where he used to work). You know that thing that if you strip away Covid and Ukraine, has really f***ed the economy.

He's still a right wing, small government, low taxation throbber at the end of the day. He just knows he needs to balance the books first and how he achieves that none of us will like

Yeah, I get that but we're on life support right now. I'm just hoping this means we're not tipped over the edge. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

He's still a right wing, small government, low taxation throbber at the end of the day. He just knows he needs to balance the books first and how he achieves that none of us will like as he'sliekly to want to do it much faster than most of us would like him to

The NHS really isn't safe in his hands, nor are lots of other local and national government jobs

I'd say Policy Exchange are mostly centrist, "Cameroon" Conservatives. Nick Boles was their founding director in 2002, and he is an arch-Remainer (who says he'll vote Labour at the next election).

I'm not saying I agree with their politics, but I don't see Policy Exchange as a pro-Brexit think tank in the slightest. Just classic, pro-business, pro-markets, centre-right ideology.

My feeling is that Sunak as PM would be much more orthodox and pragmatic, and less ideological, than he has presented himself to his own party.

I still hope they get wiped out by Starmer at the next election, but I'm happy we have Sunak for the time being. He'll be a lot better than Johnson and Truss.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'd say Policy Exchange are mostly centrist, "Cameroon" Conservatives. Nick Boles was their founding director in 2002, and he is an arch-Remainer (who says he'll vote Labour at the next election).

I'm not saying I agree with their politics, but I don't see Policy Exchange as a pro-Brexit think tank in the slightest. Just classic, pro-business, pro-markets, centre-right ideology.

My feeling is that Sunak as PM would be much more orthodox and pragmatic, and less ideological, than he has presented himself to his own party.

I still hope they get wiped out by Starmer at the next election, but I'm happy we have Sunak for the time being. He'll be a lot better than Johnson and Truss.

You can think that if you want. You won’t be right though.

Nick Boles left Policy Exchange years ago. It was also set up by Michael Gove and Francis Maud

Policy Exchange produced a policy paper called Clean Brexit, which advocated a Clean Break from the EU and walking away from talks if necessary. It was pretty much Theresa May's operating manual for the negotiations .It’s Policy Exchange that are behind all the “Freedom of Speech on Campuses” nonsense that has been a central plank in the Culture War too.

Policy Exchange have had far far far too much influence on UK government since the Tories returned to power.

Cameron and Osbourne weren't centrists either, they were the Austerity Twins which was a policy borne of ideology not pragmatism

Sunak is a right wing, small government, low taxation disciple and a Brexiteer. The reputation he's garnered through Johnson forcing his hand to “deliver furlough” is utterly false. It was widely reported at the time that he didn’t want to do the furlough scheme

Sunak is the most ideological of the three (now two) candidates. Johnson was the populist and probably the most pragmatic. Mordaunt is just another empty vessel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

This is next to impossible unless you want to hand a victory to Putin

Also, tackling inflation in the eyes of the Tory Party is keeping your pay low or even axing your job

Which to be fair the uk government is not doing. One thing they are at least doibg right is helping the Ukrainians. I know we are suffering right now but those poor Ukrainians have it x1000 worse than us.

The pounds stabled since sunak confirmed. If johnson didnt withdraw the pound would have plummeted so at least he did the right thing and put his ego aside to withdraw.

We will see cuts though no question hunts already warned us of this and tax rises. If we cant borrow then this was always going to be the plan. Truss **** us the witch

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Which to be fair the uk government is not doing. One thing they are at least doibg right is helping the Ukrainians. I know we are suffering right now but those poor Ukrainians have it x1000 worse than us.

The pounds stabled since sunak confirmed. If johnson didnt withdraw the pound would have plummeted so at least he did the right thing and put his ego aside to withdraw.

We will see cuts though no question hunts already warned us of this and tax rises. If we cant borrow then this was always going to be the plan. Truss **** us the witch

Johnson didn’t ‘put his ego aside’ to ‘do the right thing’. He didn’t have the numbers so pulled out of the race to save face instead of being humiliated today. 

• Like 4

Just now, LondonLax said:

Johnson didn’t ‘put his ego aside’ to ‘do the right thing’. He didn’t have the numbers so pulled out of the race to save face instead of being humiliated today. 

Do we know that for sure? 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do we know that for sure? 

On Friday the guy dropped everything and rushed back on the first available plane from his holiday when he thought he had a sniff of the top job.

Yesterday he was ringing around trying to get the other two to drop out.

As of yesterday afternoon he only had around 50 MPs declared for him but last night he claims he actually has over one hundred, just some are duly him in secret (honest!) but in fact he just doesn’t want the job anymore 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Throbber that is Christopher Chope is calling for a General Election because the Tory Party is ungovernable.

So much for the idea that the party will unify behind a new leader.

So that’s Mad Nad and Chope with the knives out for Sunak before he’s even become leader :D 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I've definitely got 102 backers. You wouldn't know them. They go to a different school.

My backers live in Canada. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, bickster said:

You can think that if you want. You won’t be right though.

Nick Boles left Policy Exchange years ago. It was also set up by Michael Gove and Francis Maud

Policy Exchange produced a policy paper called Clean Brexit, which advocated a Clean Break from the EU and walking away from talks if necessary. It was pretty much Theresa May's operating manual for the negotiations .It’s Policy Exchange that are behind all the “Freedom of Speech on Campuses” nonsense that has been a central plank in the Culture War too.

Policy Exchange have had far far far too much influence on UK government since the Tories returned to power.

Cameron and Osbourne weren't centrists either, they were the Austerity Twins which was a policy borne of ideology not pragmatism

Sunak is a right wing, small government, low taxation disciple and a Brexiteer. The reputation he's garnered through Johnson forcing his hand to “deliver furlough” is utterly false. It was widely reported at the time that he didn’t want to do the furlough scheme

Sunak is the most ideological of the three (now two) candidates. Johnson was the populist and probably the most pragmatic. Mordaunt is just another empty vessel

I mean think tanks blow with the wind, but Policy Exchange is closer to the centre than Centre for Policy Studies, IEA, etc, and “Clean Brexit” post-dated the referendum. Policy Exchange wasn’t a driving force behind the Leave campaign.

Sunak won’t try to do what Truss did. His long term goal may be a smaller state and tax cuts, but I doubt he’ll have time to do that, as the next election will come round while he’s still trying to get things under control, and then we’ll have a Starmer government.

I think it’s good news he’s PM for the time being tbh. Better than if anyone else had got it. The markets have reacted with lower interest rate forecasts.

He’s the best of a bad bunch.

• Like 1

Â