The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Guido Fawkes has the current scores on the doors as

Sunak: 150

Johnson: 75

Mordaunt: 28

So that leaves 104 unknowns by their reckoning but remember these are only nominations and not votes. There will be a considerable number of MPs who don't want to be involves in nominating anyone.

If Johnson had the hundred in the bag, he'd have absolutely declared by now. Mordaunt is hanging on for either Johnson to collapse (and hope to get the ABS nominations) or some horse trading for a cabinet post and her actually nominating Johnson

6 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Im convinced the only reason Boris is running is leverage while he still has a decent wedge of support and knows he’d still win the populist members vote.

Fully expect a deal to see Sunak in office and Boris given a well paid, cushty foreign office role while his investigation(s) are quietly diluted as well as some of his ‘backers/donors’ interests wound into Sunak’s plan.

That was my thought. He will agree not to run if Sunak gives him a cushy job.

Still a big if but lets say Johnson gets to 100 MPs, Mourdant drops out as she can't make 100 and gives her backing to Sunak, with many of her supporters doing likewise, which seems likely, then you could well have a situation where Sunak has the backing of over twice as many MPs as Johnson. Johnson would likely want to still take it to the membership where given how brain dead they are they'd then back Johnson. You then have a situation where you have the vast majority of Tory MPs not even wanting Johnson as PM. It will be farcical with 2-3 months of chaos to follow before he is again forced out. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Still a big if but lets say Johnson gets to 100 MPs, Mourdant drops out as she can't make 100 and gives her backing to Sunak, with many of her supporters doing likewise, which seems likely, then you could well have a situation where Sunak has the backing of over twice as many MPs as Johnson. Johnson would likely want to still take it to the membership where given how brain dead they are they'd then back Johnson. You then have a situation where you have the vast majority of Tory MPs not even wanting Johnson as PM. It will be farcical with 2-3 months of chaos to follow before he is again forced out. 

Stupid party full of stupid MPs with even more stupid members and you expect them not to have stupid rules?

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The wheels would be off again by Christmas is Boris gets back in. 

I really hope its done and dusted by tomorrow afternoon and Sunak is the new pm. The way its going most of the tory mps are backing him so he would be churlish of Boris to take it as far as the members evcn if he gets to 100 nominations which I have doubts he will. 

31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I really hope its done and dusted by tomorrow afternoon and Sunak is the new pm. The way its going most of the tory mps are backing him so he would be churlish of Boris to take it as far as the members evcn if he gets to 100 nominations which I have doubts he will. 

Careful what you wish for. 

His campaign slogan always seems to be missing a bit

He got furlough done (even though he didn’t want to)

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The wheels would be off again by Christmas is Boris gets back in. 

By the following weekend I reckon. For the "we need a General Election now" crowd, the only realistic version this side of 2024 is Johnson being such an absurd choice that enough Tory MPs decide to jack the whole lot in and walk.

(still an unlikely prospect)

But a new Johnson administration is basically starting with only two of the four wheels to begin with. 

Â