The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Don't forget that MP's have had a pay rise every year since 2010. They don't mind approving pay rises for themselves.

All in it together....

They don't approve pay rises for themselves. It's set by an independent panel, appointed by the speaker's committee and must include a judge, am independent qualified accountant, an independent qualified auditor, and one former mp, about as independent as you can get in parliament.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

After years of austerity and being told cuts had to be made, to then seeing billions and billions magically appear for corrupt Tory pals these past few years, you bet your ass I'm striking if it comes to it and I support everyone else doing it as well. 

How can they possibly now argue there isn't money to increase the pay of teachers, nurses and others?

**** them. 

They have money....it's just not for the likes of you.

Get to work, pleb.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They don't approve pay rises for themselves. It's set by an independent panel, appointed by the speaker's committee and must include a judge, am independent qualified accountant, an independent qualified auditor, and one former mp, about as independent as you can get in parliament.

Sounds like those independent police enquiries into Downing Street parties.

In all seriousness though MP’s should get an annual payrise as should everyone else. 
The problem is they appoint sensible people to come to the conclusion for them, then decide it’s too expensive to do they same for the people under their responsibility.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sounds like those independent police enquiries into Downing Street parties.

I think IPSA is one of the few bodies without much controversy in their work or appointments, tbh. MPs pay isn't the problem, everybody else's is, maybe IPSA should be in charge :D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd like to see the recommendations of a board consisting of a nurse, a P&O employee, a care worker and a teacher 

• Like 1

I'm not getting into an argument advocating for payrises for MPs, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea that MP pay simply be linked to average public sector payrises. I was just pointing out that they don't vote on their own pay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not getting into an argument advocating for payrises for MPs, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea that MP pay simply be linked to average public sector payrises. I was just pointing out that they don't vote on their own pay.

I also don't mind them being paid a decent wage for what they are "supposed" to do, serving their constituents. But I do object to them having other business interests and sitting on the boards of private companies, or "consulting" companies on this that and the other.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nicho said:

Hadn’t seen the reports of a potential general strike. Wow that would be crushing for the Tories. 

It's exactly what they want. 

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Worth a read for the hard of thinking, unlikely they will as a strike is merely an inconvenience and facts just get in the way. 

Reading that actually highlights how shit the RMT actually are at getting their message across

Whilst its ok to sit across a table constantly calling a junior government minister a liar and looking like a word removed to most uninvolved people watching, they should spend more time explaining the situation. I had no idea about most of that

Most people in this country are of the impression that train drivers are on strike for more pay

• Like 2

These strikes are disgraceful.

My mom had an important operation cancelled a month ago which was rearranged for this week and has now been told it can't go ahead because they can't be certain all the staff will be in place due to the train strikes and it's been delayed by another month.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

These strikes are disgraceful.

My mom had an important operation cancelled a month ago which was rearranged for this week and has now been told it can't go ahead because they can't be certain all the staff will be in place due to the train strikes and it's been delayed by another month.

That is obviously awful for your mother and your family, but as others have said, this is the point of a strike. If it didn't cause issues for people then it would be entirely pointless. And it's almost always a last resort.

• Like 3

Â