The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

They really won’t. The reason that so many of them have gone out of business is because they have to buy electricity at wholesale rates higher than they can sell them to us at, due to the price cap.

Any company that is actually generating energy will be making a tidy profit (provided they don’t own gas-fired power plants) but they’re not the ones this money is going to.

They really will. The big six made over a billion profit the last financial year (only EDF made a loss). They now have more customers since all the gambling smaller suppliers went bust.

• Like 2

British Gas shares have gone up 50% in 12 months.

Shell weren’t hit with a windfall tax because that could stop them investing in innovation and exploration. But they’ve used the unexpected billion dollars of additional profit to pay extra share dividends and buy backs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If you can't trust an investment banker who can you trust?

Well , that just leaves the chaps. You know - fine, outstanding, sorts. The gentlemen from the golf club, the Rugby club, the Round table, the local whist drive - you know the felllows. Awfully decent sorts.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I wish I could put it down to stupidity but it is just arrogance isn't it and a total belief that you are above the rules.

This is it exactly Mark. These guys are born into such a life of privilege that they believe they should  (and often do) get away with whatever they want. They have zero barometer for ethics compared to normal people.

I read an article a few years ago about Eton and the Prime Ministers it has produced. They are some who go to Eton on scholarship (Humphrey Littleton only went as his dad was on the custodial staff.) There are some who have financially successful parents who aspire to have their kids join the elite. Then there are the Cameron's and the like - the kind of families who have been so wealthy for so many generations no-one even remembers how the family made its money in the first place.The kind of wealth that has accumulated over hundreds of years.

It is incomprehensible to us how self-assured these people are and it comes from their upbringing, in the same way it is incomprehensible to those that have that privilege that we should ever question their place at the top table.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bickster said:

They really will. The big six made over a billion profit the last financial year (only EDF made a loss). They now have more customers since all the gambling smaller suppliers went bust.

Fair enough. Yes, you’re actually right, at least in the technical sense - they will likely report record profits this quarter. What I should have said (and didn’t in the interests of brevity) is that the profit figures are misleading due to hedging and are effectively illusory.

The big energy companies are currently paying prices that they locked in 6-12 months ago and selling it at much higher prices. Monster profits! But they’re also locking in current prices which they’ll pay 6-12 months from now, even if prices have dropped. It just means there is a time lag for the rising prices to hit them.

Think about it - we’re in a position where gas prices and electricity prices are high. Who actually benefits from that? People who dig gas out the ground (Shell) and anyone that generates electricity using something other than gas (i.e. nuclear, wind). The energy companies are just middlemen.

15 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Fair enough. Yes, you’re actually right, at least in the technical sense - they will likely report record profits this quarter. What I should have said (and didn’t in the interests of brevity) is that the profit figures are misleading due to hedging and are effectively illusory.

The big energy companies are currently paying prices that they locked in 6-12 months ago and selling it at much higher prices. Monster profits! But they’re also locking in current prices which they’ll pay 6-12 months from now, even if prices have dropped. It just means there is a time lag for the rising prices to hit them.

Think about it - we’re in a position where gas prices and electricity prices are high. Who actually benefits from that? People who dig gas out the ground (Shell) and anyone that generates electricity using something other than gas (i.e. nuclear, wind). The energy companies are just middlemen.

Ah yes, that well known charity, the Middlemen Foundation

The main benefactor of the energy price spike will be the nuclear power salesmen.

The people tat were already doing quite well at persuading government that nuclear power was the obvious expensive dangerous solution that leaves a shining radioactive turd for someone else to deal with for the next 20,000 years. 

People that can persuade a government that what we need is energy priced at double other sources without building in the toxic legacy, that is owned by foreign states and involves fairly decent sort of proven technology that rarely goes wrong if you discount the big accidents.

The sort of thing where we can throw a few billion at the new nuclear idea of putting a ‘small’ nuclear reactor in every town that will obviously be so small it will never be a security risk, never have to worry about geography or weather, never become a deadly health risk, not just during our lifetime, or our perception of history, but for whatever culture or civilisation comes along after ours.

All hail the nuclear power lobby.

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

She's losing it. I'd almost feel sorry for her but she's a massive prick and a Brexit/Johnson cult member and any pressure she's under is all her own fault. 

Yeah. She’ll never get another cabinet job, so she might as well cling to Bunter’s side in the team of none of the talents

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Genie said:

Yes, but how was he allowed to get away with it? He gets away with more than any of the others do from the media at the moment. Do they think he’s the next PM and don’t want to get on his wrong side at this stage?

There isn't another profession in the world where you could get away with not answering questions.

If I had any sort of presentation at work and deliberately avoided questions like politicians do then I'd get laughed out of the place.

I know politicians have always been like this, but recently it just seems to be on another level.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There isn't another profession in the world where you could get away with not answering questions.

If I had any sort of presentation at work and deliberately avoided questions like politicians do then I'd get laughed out of the place.

I know politicians have always been like this, but recently it just seems to be on another level.

The knives are out for the others (Gove, Truss, Johnson, Dorries) and interviewers are pulling no punches. In fact they seem to be going out of their way now to make them look silly.

Sunak is getting a really easy ride. He was allowed to dodge a simple question about events in his own garden, of which his office looks onto.

He even said the other day that Johnson doesn’t tell lies and still didn’t get picked apart. It’s a fact Johnson tells lies but he still go away with it. 
Now the current cost of living crisis and he’s “package” is an absolute mess, and no sign of the VAT reduction on energy. People will pay back £200 even if they never got it. He got away with it all. He’s living a charmed life at the moment.

It feels a bit like Biden getting an easy ride just so it didn’t jeopardise the ousting of Trump.

Â