The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

17 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It depends what you mean by "Brexit" doesn't it.

If you are looking for a specific date when the UK has left the EU, yeah, that's next month. That's what the kids will learn in school and that's what will be written in history books.

If you are looking at the end of negotiations, deals, trade agreements, then Brexit will never, by definition, be over with.

I'm glad someone else said it, I was starting to think I may be missing something!

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm glad someone else said it, I was starting to think I may be missing something!

Except it's not really the case.

The argument relies upon this 'whole and entire' thing (which rather ignores the NI protocol part of the withdrawal agreement) and ignoring the fact of the transition period. Whilst the UK may become a third country at the end of January and cease to be in the EU, the implementation period/transition period (where EU law still applies in the UK save for the provisions as set out in the WA) doesn't end until the end of 2020 (unless extended) and that's really a halfway house (maybe a quarterway house) between membership and being out of the EU. Maybe then (31st Dec 2020 if no extension) one would be able to say that the actual exit was complete - though that still wouldn't necessarily be the case for NI as the protocol applies until it is voted against.

So, am I defining 'Brexit' as everything that ever has to do with the UK leaving the EU, including all future relationship discussions however long they last? No, I'm not. It's a daft suggestion and it seems to imply a lack of understanding of what is about to happen.

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Except it's not really the case.

The argument relies upon this 'whole and entire' thing (which rather ignores the NI protocol part of the withdrawal agreement) and ignoring the fact of the transition period. Whilst the UK may become a third country at the end of January and cease to be in the EU, the implementation period/transition period (where EU law still applies in the UK save for the provisions as set out in the WA) doesn't end until the end of 2020 (unless extended) and that's really a halfway house (maybe a quarterway house) between membership and being out of the EU. Maybe then (31st Dec 2020 if no extension) one would be able to say that the actual exit was complete - though that still wouldn't necessarily be the case for NI as the protocol applies until it is voted against.

So, am I defining 'Brexit' as everything that ever has to do with the UK leaving the EU, including all future relationship discussions however long they last? No, I'm not. It's a daft suggestion and it seems to imply a lack of understanding of what is about to happen.

You are correct.

But both answers (end of Jan OR end of transition period) are in fact correct, depending on what is it exactly that you are asking.

When you divorce your missus, does it happen on the date the court signs the paperwork or on the day you finish sharing all of your belongings and agree what days you are allowed to see the kids?

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

You are correct.

But both answers (end of Jan OR end of transition period) are in fact correct, depending on what is it exactly that you are asking.

When you divorce your missus, does it happen on the date the court signs the paperwork or on the day you finish sharing all of your belongings and agree what days you are allowed to see the kids?

Ha, is this serious?

It quite obviously is the former.

I've been divorced and up until the point it was formalised by the courts she remained my wife and was in line for any and all considerations as such.

22 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

You are correct.

In Wakanda, you just have to turn around on the spot three times, point at her and shout 'poor sandwiches, be gone', and that's the deal done.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ha, is this serious?

It quite obviously is the former.

I've been divorced and up until the point it was formalised by the courts she remained my wife and was in line for any and all considerations as such.

That's my point exactly. 

But then I bet you had things to sort out between yourselves, such as who takes the dog, who picks up the kids on Tuesdays after football and sell the house.

So "when is Brexit happening" is not very clear, and there is more than one correct answer. 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

In Wakanda, you just have to turn around on the spot three times, point at her and shout 'poor sandwiches, be gone', and that's the deal done.

Some places (even fictional ones) are just more civilised than the UK... ;)

18 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That's my point exactly. 

But then I bet you had things to sort out between yourselves, such as who takes the dog, who picks up the kids on Tuesdays after football and sell the house.

So "when is Brexit happening" is not very clear, and there is more than one correct answer. 

So the government ceasing any use of the word Brexit following 31st January, and winding up all departments and select committees pertaining to Brexit is wrong and cynical then?

Glad we're in agreement :)

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I know people like analogies and people keep on returning to this analogy but it doesn't hold.

53 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Have you any notion of the content of the Withdrawal Agreement and what the transition period entails? Your posts here seem to demonstrate that this has completely passed you by.

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

So the government ceasing any use of the word Brexit following 31st January, and winding up all departments and select committees pertaining to Brexit is wrong and cynical then?

Glad we're in agreement :)

Oh we are, 100%!

Â