The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Digital tax is interesting , the OECD are trying to get cooperation from around 130 countries on digital tax but it requires re-writing international tax laws and discussions appear to have been going on forever 

and yet , unless I misread , I thought I saw that Malaysia (and Singapore)  appear to have got away with imposing a 6% digital tax on google et al  ... yet , when  Macron  tried, he very quietly dropped it once the US imposed tariffs on their cheese and wine  ..  Italy proposed something but not seen if its actually happening  .... ditto Turkey  

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yet , when  Macron  tried, he very quietly dropped it once the US imposed tariffs on their cheese and wine  .. 

I'd suggest that "temporarily shelved" might be a better description. France, like many countries are probably going to postpone any big decisions on how to deal with that box of angry syphilitic wasps until they see how November plays out.

• Like 1

Former 'red wall' areas could lose millions in council funding review

A reallocation of council funding could redirect hundreds of millions of pounds from so-called left-behind communities in the north of England to the leafy southern shires, analysis has found, leaving many newly Conservative voting “red wall” areas facing fresh cuts to local services.

Under a review of the local authority funding formula, £320m a year could be shifted out of councils in England’s most deprived areas while Tory-controlled shire councils mainly in the south-east gain £300m.

High-profile losers include many constituencies that elected new Tory MPs in December, including Workington, which would suffer from Cumbria county council’s £5m loss, and Sedgefield, which would feel the impact of £10m being taken out of Durham county council.

...rest on link

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Absolutely a win-win for the Tories. They could either a] declare their outrage at the review, and then come with a 'better' settlement that still keeps the basic dynamics, and then lap up the press praise, or b] just go along with the review anyway, and let the angry voters take it out on their Labour councils.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely a win-win for the Tories. They could either a] declare their outrage at the review, and then come with a 'better' settlement that still keeps the basic dynamics, and then lap up the press praise, or b] just go along with the review anyway, and let the angry voters take it out on their Labour councils.

giphy.gif

Great work by Labour to let this to happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Great work by Labour to let this to happen.

Great work by the electorate there to let this happen too, they voted for it. possibly the greatest example of turkeys voting for xmas ever

• Like 2

Big day for the media today. The government are announcing their plans to 'reverse Beeching':

I don't think there's anybody in all of politics who disagrees that reopening certain stations and lines would be beneficial. However, the reality is that £500m will not be sufficient to do anything noticeable. The Campaign for Better Transport have identified 33 lines that could be converted, reopened or relaid and give the largest 'bang for the buck' across the country, but these would cost more than £6bn:

This is a test for the media. Are they simply going to uncritically parrot the government's line, or are they going to press them on how 'reversing Beeching' gives a misleading impression of a] which lines will be reappearing, and b] the scale of the funding required, and so c] whether a meaningful budget of several billion pounds will be allocated in the Budget or not. If c] isn't true, then the media shouldn't be talking about this, except in the context of promising a lot and delivering nothing much at all. 

• Like 2

Well they could restore the Burscough Curves, so you could actually get from Southport to Preston directly instead of having to change stations in Burscough. Then they could shut one of the stations in Burscough because there really is no need for two apart from the East-West track not actually being joined to the North South track EW goes over NS. The Burscough Curves to join the tracks still have the embankments and everything, nothing built on them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think there's anybody in all of politics who disagrees that reopening certain stations and lines would be beneficial. However, the reality is that £500m will not be sufficient to do anything noticeable. The Campaign for Better Transport have identified 33 lines that could be converted, reopened or relaid and give the largest 'bang for the buck' across the country, but these would cost more than £6bn:

Yes. And also stations and lines have been being re-opened for a good while now - 20 years or so. There's nothing actually "new" really about the announcement - it's a bit of a propoganda thing that'll be forgotten in the blink of an eye. It's nothing serious. I wish the 6 billion plus was going to be available for opening lines and stations.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xann said:

Your industry is fine, it's underwritten.

It's not like you're disabled and getting your benefits cut to fund tax cuts for the wealthy.

Ah, OK. Well in that case I'll break the habit of a lifetime and vote for the lovely tories. They really are marvellous aren't they! Splendid, benevolent, fair minded, clear thinking sorts, not like those beastly Johnny foreigner types and the undeserving poor.

Hip hip Hurrah for the Podgy Bullingdon Boys. They know what's best.

Â