The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

14 minutes ago, Risso said:

There needs to be more official sites for the traveller community, but there does also need to be more that local people can do to protect themselves from their anti-social behaviour, of either just illegally trespassing on private/public land, or buying plots of land and doing what they like on them.  Everybody else has to comply with planning laws, why shouldn't they?

Agree with all those points.  But the seizure and destruction of their homes is not a reasonable or proportionate measure, nor one directed against other people committing antisocial acts, or contravening planning law (though someone can be required to remove a building they have built without planning permission, which is not directly equivalent).

It is a measure which is designed to play to hatred of travellers, and by "othering" them it reinforces and validates racism.  I would hope the courts would find that it is something directed at one idetifiable group in a way which contravenes equalities law.

• Like 1

More does need to  be done to stop what certainly seems like a large proportion of the travelling community from treating both public and private land as their own personal toilet and landfill, but it shouldn't be lawful for the police to seize anyone's property if they're not being charged with a crime, and permanent seizure/destruction  of property ought to be at the discretion of a judge after a conviction.

It should be kept in mind that every power that's given to the police will be abused.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

I’ve just read the manifesto. It makes no mention of Roma or Gypsies. I’m gonna stick my neck out and say it probably doesn’t mention black people being the drug problem or white english people thieving millions of pounds in tax evasion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterms said:

Agree with all those points.  But the seizure and destruction of their homes is not a reasonable or proportionate measure, nor one directed against other people committing antisocial acts, or contravening planning law (though someone can be required to remove a building they have built without planning permission, which is not directly equivalent).

It is a measure which is designed to play to hatred of travellers, and by "othering" them it reinforces and validates racism.  I would hope the courts would find that it is something directed at one idetifiable group in a way which contravenes equalities law.

Indeed.

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm putting this in here because they've been running the country for the last nine years, but TBH I'm sure Burnham needs to do what he can on this as well:

It's not really Burnham's remit is it? This is a local council responsibility not a Metro Mayor one. That's certainly the way it seems to be working on this side of the NW

Chippy tits does the homeless stuff whilst Rotherham campaigns on Northern Powerhouse, transport (Remove Northern Rail currently) and dishes out money from training for the unemployed etc. Metro mayors are all big picture stuff for the region

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

It's not really Burnham's remit is it? This is a local council responsibility not a Metro Mayor one. That's certainly the way it seems to be working on this side of the NW

Chippy tits does the homeless stuff whilst Rotherham campaigns on Northern Powerhouse, transport (Remove Northern Rail currently) and dishes out money from training for the unemployed etc. Metro mayors are all big picture stuff for the region

Yeah, it looks like you're right on that one.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

If Jesus was born today Rees-Mogg would report him

Well worth reading down the responses, some are excellent.

My fave was ‘you ain’t no Christian bruv’.

But some of the cartoons of tory Jesus declaring people fit for work were really good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After having visited family in Cardiff yesterday I can with a hand on my heart say that I've never ever experienced homelessness in the way I saw there. I don't know what's going on but the local council need a serious kick up their arse. I'm sure there's a lot of issues with the government but a lot can be done without needing Bojo's assistance (you're not going to get it). 

After our dinner we went down to the Huggard centre and donated money and food and the volunteers there said that it's always been an issue no matter the government, they depend on donations and volunteers rather than grandstanding in London from either major party. One volunteer said that they've had as many as 4000 people sleeping rough within the city centre at one time this year. 

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

After having visited family in Cardiff yesterday I can with a hand on my heart say that I've never ever experienced homelessness in the way I saw there. I don't know what's going on but the local council need a serious kick up their arse. I'm sure there's a lot of issues with the government but a lot can be done without needing Bojo's assistance (you're not going to get it). 

After our dinner we went down to the Huggard centre and donated money and food and the volunteers there said that it's always been an issue no matter the government, they depend on donations and volunteers rather than grandstanding in London from either major party. One volunteer said that they've had as many as 4000 people sleeping rough within the city centre at one time this year. 

Under Labour, rough sleeping was all but eradicated. Resources were put into sheltered accommodation for those without homes. Of course there were still some sleeping out, there always will be. But under the austerity inflicted by the Tories, with, sadly, the help of Clegg and co., the problem rapidly returned. My wife worked for 26 years in housing, she saw from the inside the damage their callous indifference caused. Local Govt. budgets were slashed to the bone.The bankers crash was seen as an opportunity by the Tories to implement their harshest social engineering since Thatcher. Homelessness, like food banks and targeting the most vulnerable in society, is what the Tories do.She loathes the Tories with a passion. It’s one of the reasons I love her so much.

• Like 3

It's the same in any major city. In 2010 there were still homeless people, some people will stay out there no matter what you try to do to help them, but in Nottingham, I knew the 4 or 5 regulars that you'd see in the city centre. There are dozens of the poor bastards now, and it's the same in every big town and city in the country.

• Like 2

Â