Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

If our current squad's struggles are partly down to a lack of physicality and 'bite', then they will get mauled in the championship. So many of our first team squad will struggle to cope with the more physical nature following the drop down, and our lack of a real leader will become even more evident.

Gary Gardner had a cracking season for Brighton/Forest last year though, so I'd give him some game time if he ever gets fit...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jasonperry_uk said:

If our current squad's struggles are partly down to a lack of physicality and 'bite', then they will get mauled in the championship. So many of our first team squad will struggle to cope with the more physical nature following the drop down, and our lack of a real leader will become even more evident.

Gary Gardner had a cracking season for Brighton/Forest last year though, so I'd give him some game time if he ever gets fit...

I thought we were showing a mini staged progression, but we needed to turn that that into a win.  As it goes, we regressed again a little and looks like we might just continue the season without a whimper.

You're absolutely right, a team with no fight in a relegation scrap will get shredded in the champions league.  Our best bet would be to ditch most of the high earners and pull the likes of gardener out of the bag, a team with fight + good enough to compete.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

It's impossible to predict how we'd do in the Championship without knowing what our squad would look like.

Without sitting on the fence, Im more concered about next season, IMO This set of players aint got the balls for a scrap in the Championship. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I don't agree with the "lack of fight" statements, we have usually only lost games by the odd goal. I think we are just lacking confidence as a team and we are missing quality in key areas. 

I think we fought plenty in the West Ham and Newcastle games, we really were going balls to the wall and threw the kitchen sink at them.

Yesterday however, there was pretty much no fight after going one down, it's the most pathetic performance I've seen since Southampton away last season. 

The heart is probably just about there, but the actual steel and leadership is lacking. We don't have players who can go out and perform from the first whistle. We don't have strong characters who can genuinely step up and take responsibility. 

Recruitment has been a total, unmitigated disaster. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Poppy cock, there are at least 6 teams in the championship better than us, sunderland and newcastle.  None more so than us.

We will struggle in the championship, we'll be looking more like Bolton than Blackburn...neither of which are doing particularly well since their relegation.

It really is hard to say right now. Don't forget that the teams at the top of the Championship are winning games regularly and full of confidence.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Our French players are our best players.

Indeed, but it's always easy to blame those bloody foreigners innit?

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I don't agree with the "lack of fight" statements

Our own captain said after yesterdays game that Norwich wanted it more than us and given the position we are in that should never be the case. To a man they should be coming off the pitch gasping for air with no more to give. A lack of ability I can always forgive but being out fought and not giving your all us unforgivable.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

This is not a PFE but I am being totally honest here,  in some of the games we are no better than any Championship team and at times (rare but exists) if you take your Villa glasses off there have been times where we are no better than a pub team.  In our current form and given that teams such as small heath and basically anyone in the Championship,  going to Villa Park is basically Wembley for them,  we will get destroyed.  The team that got us relegated last time,  pound for pound would dance all over the current squad IMO. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The team that got us relegated last time,  pound for pound would dance all over the current squad IMO. 

I have to agree that on paper they were a better side and they did win 8 games when they went down as the bottom club. How we could do with the likes of Nigel Spink, Martin Keown, Tony Dorigo, Allan Evans, Gary Williams, Steve Hunt, Tony Daley, Mark Walters, Paul Birch, Garry Thompson and Andy Gray (albeit then past his best) in our squad now as long as neither Graham Turner nor Billy McNeill were managing them. 

• Like 2

This is something I go going back and forth in my head and done have a solution.

On one hand, our players really are utter shit and out of form. But is Bournemouth's squad really better than ours? Is Watford's really better than ours? Outside the strikers?

I find it difficult to simply say "we have awful players in every position and thats why we're bottom".

• Like 1

I can understand the fans feeling resigned to relegation but the players have to believe that they can still somehow get out of the mess. Who knows if we win a couple on the bounce and make a few good signings in January, it might bring a bit of hope back.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I can understand the fans feeling resigned to relegation but the players have to believe that they can still somehow get out of the mess. Who knows if we win a couple on the bounce and make a few good signings in January, it might bring a bit of hope back.

I said this before Newcastle, West Ham and Norwich. Had we have taken 5 points or more from those games then we had a chance. We took just 2. There's no coming back from this now, not without a striker or a proper goalkeeper. 

A win on Saturday followed by an away win at WBA and points at West Ham, Stoke, Swansea and Watford along with home wins against Norwich, Bournemouth and Newcastle as well as home draws with Palace, Leicester, Everton and Southampton would leave us on 31 points. Turning 3 of those draws into wins would give us 37 points as would winning 2 of the games I have suggested we will get nothing for. I know it is not going to happen but it was a nice thought...

• Like 2

The Leeds protest over Sky is interesting. This is definitely going to affect us next season.

Both Forest and Leeds have been chose 9/23 times to be on TV. The kick-off times are all over the place and it massively affects the attendances. If we go down without Newcastle coming with us you'd expect at least half our games to be televised.

If you like 3pm kick-offs, prepared to be disappointed. Good for those of us who watch via alternative methods though, but of course we'll still miss a large slice of the matches.

Edited by supernova26

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

This is something I go going back and forth in my head and done have a solution.

On one hand, our players really are utter shit and out of form. But is Bournemouth's squad really better than ours? Is Watford's really better than ours? Outside the strikers?

I find it difficult to simply say "we have awful players in every position and thats why we're bottom".

Watford certainly have a better squad than us all over the park

• Like 1

Â