Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We will definitely get 30k in the championship, I think we will average 35k maybe more if we start winning games. It was -2 last night, on a Tuesday night, against a league 1 side in a cup that means **** all to us in the greater context. We've had lower crowds when we've been good.

I hope so mate as a full house villa park when we are winning games is a very intimidating place to come. We haven't had great home form for many years. Maybe a year in championship might change that and make villa park a fortress like it use to be

Hopefully make people enjoy games again as we have been shit for too long at home 

The more I look at it, the more I think we are still in it. We are currently 10 points from safety and arguably of the bottom 6 we have the "best" fixtures in the next 3 games. If we can get back to within 6 points from safety in the next 6 games, then we will only be 2 wins from safety with 10 games to play. Then we only need one good week to be within 3 points from safety. If we can be within 3 points of safety going into the the last 6 games, then we are right in the mix. 

Its all about momentum now. The teams around us are all picking up points here and there which is obviously making it more difficult, but in the last 6 games we have been doing the same (even though we've only won one), so they are probably saying the same about us. If we can put even just 2 back-to-back wins together, the teams above us will start to get nervous.

Saturday is massive - if we win that, then people will start to seriously think we can put a run together. If we lose, then I don't see us getting a result at West Ham, and we could end up being at least 12 points from safety before we play Norwich.

Every game between now and the end of the season is huge. It feels different to previous years as although we've been in the relegation mix, we've never been so far behind, and we've never been under this pressure so early in the season. Its normally in the last 5-10 games that we start to feel the pressure and every game seems to carry added weight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I hope Newcastle go on another disastrous run like last season. They were stuck on 35 points for like half the season :crylaugh: . We just need 1 more team to go on a bad run as well and we might be able to do it (I'm somewhat confident we'll finish ahead of Sunderland regardless). 

sadly Mclaren is slightly better than John Carver

They want Townsend now who will be an improvement on their wide areas

I hope Newcastle go on another disastrous run like last season. They were stuck on 35 points for like half the season :crylaugh: . We just need 1 more team to go on a bad run as well and we might be able to do it (I'm somewhat confident we'll finish ahead of Sunderland regardless). 

sadly Mclaren is slightly better than John Carver

They want Townsend now who will be an improvement on their wide areas

Yeah but Spurs being Spurs want £14m.

I wonder how much money they've lost by demanding ridiculously over the odds for players then them leaving on a free because nobody would pay the asking price?

48 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah but Spurs being Spurs want £14m.

I wonder how much money they've lost by demanding ridiculously over the odds for players then them leaving on a free because nobody would pay the asking price?

They did same thing with lennon, i remember at one point they were demanding 20m+ and what they end up getting for him 5m was it?

Just now, Demitri_C said:

They did same thing with lennon, i remember at one point they were demanding 20m+ and what they end up getting for him 5m was it?

I remember them wanting £8m for Jenas, £10m for Bentley and £8m for Krancjar.  Madness.

3 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

The more I look at it, the more I think we are still in it. We are currently 10 points from safety and arguably of the bottom 6 we have the "best" fixtures in the next 3 games. If we can get back to within 6 points from safety in the next 6 games, then we will only be 2 wins from safety with 10 games to play. Then we only need one good week to be within 3 points from safety. If we can be within 3 points of safety going into the the last 6 games, then we are right in the mix. 

Its all about momentum now. The teams around us are all picking up points here and there which is obviously making it more difficult, but in the last 6 games we have been doing the same (even though we've only won one), so they are probably saying the same about us. If we can put even just 2 back-to-back wins together, the teams above us will start to get nervous.

Saturday is massive - if we win that, then people will start to seriously think we can put a run together. If we lose, then I don't see us getting a result at West Ham, and we could end up being at least 12 points from safety before we play Norwich.

Every game between now and the end of the season is huge. It feels different to previous years as although we've been in the relegation mix, we've never been so far behind, and we've never been under this pressure so early in the season. Its normally in the last 5-10 games that we start to feel the pressure and every game seems to carry added weight.

Good luck with all that. 

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

We've proven time and time again that no matter who we play, we're **** shite!

4 games unbeaten - regardless of who the opposition were - we are currently in our best run of form this season. It will only take 2 consecutive wins (hopefully in the next 2 games) and we will be right back in it. I think the mood has changed for fans and players. If we were playing WBA last month, most of us would have this as a nailed-on defeat, instead alot of us actually fancy our chances now.

You've got to keep believing brother!

18 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

4 games unbeaten - regardless of who the opposition were - we are currently in our best run of form this season. It will only take 2 consecutive wins (hopefully in the next 2 games) and we will be right back in it. I think the mood has changed for fans and players. If we were playing WBA last month, most of us would have this as a nailed-on defeat, instead alot of us actually fancy our chances now.

Mmm. For some reason that parable about the guy who tried planting his seeds on stony ground springs to mind. 

20 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Think your in a small minority there mate. not gonna happen the team although improved recently its too little too late. the sunderland and Norwich games is what relegated us

27 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

But you're asking for something that we aren't capable of. This team/club doesn't do 2/3 wins ok the bounce. Hasn't for ages. Regardless of talent, it simply doesn't have the mentality. 

You can't turn up to games in the 70th minute and hope things wel be ok.

More so, we as fans shouldn't be letting the players know that it's ok to turn up in the 70th minute.

11 players busting a gut for 90 minutes and we beat Leicester. We beat West ham etc. Those teams were well below their best against us and our mentality let them off. 

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

But you're asking for something that we aren't capable of. This team/club doesn't do 2/3 wins ok the bounce. Hasn't for ages. Regardless of talent, it simply doesn't have the mentality. 

You can't turn up to games in the 70th minute and hope things wel be ok.

More so, we as fans shouldn't be letting the players know that it's ok to turn up in the 70th minute.

11 players busting a gut for 90 minutes and we beat Leicester. We beat West ham etc. Those teams were well below their best against us and our mentality let them off. 

This is where we disagree - I think we are actually very capable of it. This season has in general, and I'm even including the games under Sherwood, been one where we have lost games because of defensive lapses and a lack of concentration and organisation. I don't think its fair to say that the players have "only been turning up in the 70th minute" - in general I think the effort has always been there, and we have just been undone by an epidemic loss of confidence which has ultimately led to stupid mistakes being made in games. The same people who say we have been lucky to score our goals in our last 2 league games aren't looking back to the games for example against Chelsea or Watford where we were very unlucky for example, or the games at Palace or Sunderland where Guzan has had moments of madness. Alot of our games have had a very fine margin, and unfortunately either because of bad luck or momentary bad play, we've ended up losing games.

I'm not in denial - in all likelihood - we will be relegated this year. However, it is not impossible by any means that we can win our next 2 games and other results go our way, and all of a sudden we are back in it. Imagine if we won the next 2 matches, you would have to then fancy us against Norwich. At that stage we might then be only one victory from safety, albeit with some tough fixtures ahead of us.

Are we capable of winning the next 2 games or the next 3 games? Looking at the opposition, of course we are capable. This is afterall the season where anyone can beat any one. We aren't playing City, United and Arsenal in the next 3 anyway, its WBA, West Ham and Norwich.

Will we win the next 2 games or 3 games - I don't know, but I refuse to say that its impossible, because quite frankly - it simply isn't the case.

• Like 2

On 18/1/2016 at 12:35, PussEKatt said:

I think our chances of staying up are about 50/50 at the moment BUT only if the board get their fingers out and buy a striker,FFS to have any chance of staying up we need to score goals.

As for the 40 points needed to stay up, this is a myth.All you need to stay up is 1 point more than the team in 18th place, at the moment that is 21 points.

/pedant you can stay up with the same points as 18th.  You just need the goal difference.  It's where the saying 'goal difference is worth an extra point' comes from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

Keep dreaming brother.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

Cracking post. If we can get 7 pts from the next 3 it'll be a massive boost. Albion are struggling with injury and a win there could be exactly the boost we need. We need to be within touching distance by Easter. I'll always keep the faith until it's mathematically impossible. We are actually playing well now but not getting the points we deserve something that was labelled at Leicester this time last year. If we go we go down fighting unlike a few on here who gave up months ago!! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

Cracking post. If we can get 7 pts from the next 3 it'll be a massive boost. Albion are struggling with injury and a win there could be exactly the boost we need. We need to be within touching distance by Easter. I'll always keep the faith until it's mathematically impossible. We are actually playing well now but not getting the points we deserve something that was labelled at Leicester this time last year. If we go we go down fighting unlike a few on here who gave up months ago!! 

Keep dreaming brother.

• Like 1

Â