Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

The season is over we ain't coming back from this. They summed it up well on a Premier League review on Sky last night saying it's all about getting prepared for a season in the Championship and can we find a way to get out of it now. They said we had experimented with buying in cheap players, developing them and then selling them on at a profit and it has basically failed with just Benteke the exception who we then bizarrely didn't replace! Mismanagement & naivety at the top of the highest order.

1 win in 18 is shameful and if you include the last few games of last season it's even worse!

The poorest team & worst season i can ever remember in 40 years as a fan. When this team plays a blinder they barely scrape a draw against the weakest teams in the division.

So the Jan window surely has to be about getting players in who will stay here and make us strong enough to come back up next season.

IF we relegated, we might see the following team;

-----------------Guzan---

Hutton -- Okore -- Baker -- Amavi

--------Westwood--Sanchez------

Bacuna------???????------Traore?

----------------Gestede

We've still got the likes of Robinson, Gardner, Hepburn-Murphy, etc.

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Haha, no chance were staying up even with a load of signings.

Put it this way..... not only have we got to make the signings. They've got to work.

We have got to pull off what would be the most miraculous sporting turn around ever to exist. 

Literally needing something that has never happened in the 2 1/2 decades I've supported villa. 

Agreed, these 4 games were must win, we were going to pick up 12 points and pull ourselves out of trouble...so far we've had 3 of these games and got 2 points, 2 goals, 2 halves of decent football maybe 3...how people think we will turn this around is beyond me, we are dreadful.

January should be used for getting in guys ready for the championship. I'd look at getting Bamford on loan for 18 months. Proven championship goal scorer and leaving Palace next month , half way through his loan apparently. There's no point trying to get someone like Remy and forking out his wages for 6 months. It won't delay the inevitable. 

• Like 2

Was listening to WM earlier, and this calender year we have played 38 and got 25 points. Nobody at the villa can't say they haven't saw this coming. We have been struggling badly since Houllier was taken ill, and there were problems with the squad even in the O Neill days. It's not like we were 6th one year and in this position the next. There has been a noticeable decline season on season. Lambert must have been a miracle worker keeping us up with less skilled squad than even now, weimann and Lowton etc. The board are to blame for this and I hope they recognise that. Poor decision after poor decision have killed the club. I think the terminal damage was done under Faulkner, no 'villa way', or 'club philosophy' as other clubs have, such as THIS IS HOW WE PLAY, and we buy players to fit that. Instead we have hired manager after manager and given them enough money to build a 3rd of a squad, or in the case of lambert a squad of has beens and never wases/never will bes. This has led to the hugely imbalanced mess we have today where individual players create a team that are far less that the sum of their parts as they are all too similar, low quality or cast offs from elsewhere, with literally 1 or 2 exceptions. 

I'm dreading this. We will be the new Forest or Leeds. 

• Like 2

Play the reserve team against Sunderland, Ayew's out anyway,  the other decent players, stick em on the bench. 

Other than that let them watch people dangling from  a 100m up for the thrill of it, they may well then realise they have the bollox for a fight 

• Like 1

The notion that we will bounce back is a load of bollocks, anyone who is half decent will be off, either back off to France or to another top flight side who they've caught the eye of.

We'll be left with a mixture of some of our current plodders, youth players and then what ever shite the clueless transfer committee bring in. I certainly agree that there's every possibility that we will be languishing in the Championship for quite a long time.

what you've said there is bang on, this is the culmination of 5 years of bad managerial choices and woeful funding. At the end of 2013/14 when we stayed up with less than 40 points the answer from the owner was to back us financially to the tune of £11million.

we've been saved for years by having 3 teams worse than us.

randy Lerners contempt for Aston villa are why we are going down.

• Like 1

I don't like Shearer or Ian Wright as pundits, but their 1 minute analysis of Villa was the reason we're down there is that the players aren't putting a shift in, and are "cheating" us. Lack of effort basically. Its probably a fair comment if you look at the goals and chances we concede. From what I saw of the game today, Hutton and Richardson in particular seemed to be jogging back when we were under pressure, but I'm sure they weren't alone.

I had kept the hope prior to the Newcastle game, in the belief that if we could win at least 2 of the 4 games in this period, then we would be back in the mix ahead of January transfer window. We are now 4 wins from safety, which is just staggering at the half way point. There is no way we can come back from this, even a win at Sunderland wouldn't convince me now.

Sadly I have now joined the rest of you in accepting our fate.

With regard to the "will we bounce straight back up or be stuck in the Championship for years or fall into the abyss beyond the Championship" debate - I don't think anyone really knows. Its entirely possible we could bounce straight back and win the Championship - we probably have a decent mix of players who could do well in that league. Its also possible we would make the playoffs, just miss out, or finish midtable. I don't see us struggling, but whether we come straight back up is going to depend on how badly the rest of the season goes, and how well we start next season.

I personally am gutted because as a long distance fan I am going to struggle to follow Villa in as much detail as I have for the last 25-30 years, as there simply won't be as much media and TV coverage. C'est la vie. No club is too big to go down. Chelsea are still only 3 points above the drop zone.

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The notion that we will bounce back is a load of bollocks, anyone who is half decent will be off, either back off to France or to another top flight side who they've caught the eye of.

We'll be left with a mixture of some of our current plodders, youth players and then what ever shite the clueless transfer committee bring in. I certainly agree that there's every possibility that we will be languishing in the Championship for quite a long time.

Not sure I agree with this. If we retain Grealish, I think he might do very well in the Championship - likewise Gardner and Westwood. Gestede is good for 10-15 goals at least at that level.  Sinclair and Bacuna might also do very well at the level.

I think Ayew will have suitors as he looks the business, but we might be able to keep hold of Veretout for one season and I think he would do well.  Who knows about Gana and Adama. Amavi will probably stay as he will be injured and noone will take the risk until they see him play again. Richards, Clark, Baker, Okore, Hutton are all probably good enough for the Championship and may not have many takers.

Gil and Sanchez will surely leave, probably Okore as well. Other than that, I don't who else would definitely go.

I also think that we will be an attractive proposition for the best Championship players and League 1 players, so I suspect we will have a decent chance of coming back up at the very least, although its obviously not guaranteed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

We're beyond a joke, other fans have actually stopped taking the piss now ita been so bad for so long.

Humiliation. 

No mate, the other fans are very much taking the piss. Norwich fans were today, Newcastle fans were last week - and these are fellow clubs in relegation danger. Football fans are not kind, we have plenty more direct humiliation to come in the next 19 games, on and off the pitch.

Remi at least seems to retain a bit of class and decorum, and I hope we keep him as although things havn't gone great, I think we need to build a long term project with a stable manager.

I'm usually of the uber-positive mindset, but I'm now resigned to say we're down. Before the Newcastle game I said we needed 4 wins from the next 6 games. We've drawn 2 and lost one so far, so we can no longer win 4 of them. We can win 2 or 3, but even that seems unlikely now, so my main hopes have now dwindled out.

All that's left to be positive about, is that we come back up next season, and that we try to show some fight in the remaining games, and don't go down with a whimper!

We have just lost against a championship team, how many players have they brought from the team they had last season? 

We need to change at least half of the players that started against Norwich, their not good enough, they wear the shirt but they aren't good enough to playing for us.

On match day I will clap and cheer them but the reality is a fair few of em have swindled their way in, just like Fox and his merry men,, they are chancers, Dell boys of football ......or soccer , we need a leader to challenge em 

Basically we have to play like a top 6 side for the rest of the season to have a chance of staying up. We have to play like a pre 2010 Villa side to have any chance at all in staying up. It's not going to happen. It will all be over by late March. Painful is not even close to what we have to put up with this season.The season from hell continues. Next stop defeat at Wycombe.

Looking ever more likely, and I still think going down will be a final nail in the coffin for us.  We'll be mixing it up with Bolton/Fulham and Blackburn who've failed to secure promotion back to the premier league and one on the verge of dropping down another league.

Our best chance would have been to cling on to premiership status for one more season, if we're finally to move on...I still cling on to that hope.  We won't get out of the championship without breaking FFP.

Deliberately avoided Villatalk tonight. Given the result, when I checked the HT score I thought it would be another 1-1 draw, but no even worse a loss. It feels horrible to be like this doesn't it? 

I've only supported Villa since I was 8, when we had that crap season under O'Leary. But even then we had some good games. Like the 4-0 thumping of Everton. 

When MON came it was my best years of my time to date as a Villa fan, didn't realise how good we had it until now. 5 years of rubbish football, mismanagement and lack of ambition. It actually hurts that we are getting relegated.(it's only football I know, but still)  I always stayed positive the last few years that we would rise again and improve. I knew we'd stay up and I hoped that the false dawns would become reality. I realise how naiive this is. I posted not too long ago that I won't give up hope....but for the first time in 10 years I genuinely only can't see any positives.  These are dark times indeed for our great club. 

Lerners done us in. 

Â