Pre-match thread

NulliSecundus

Gil looked very tired when he went off on Tuesday. To be honest, I never thought he'd be ready to start this game. I am concerned about the lack of creativity in that lineup though, I'd actually have been tempted to play Cole. 

It's at this point where Tuesday's team selection looks like a mistake. If we'd have played a team to get the job done in 90 minutes, i.e one with a proper defence, then maybe we wouldn't be having to rest our better players now.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but it's a complete fluke that we got taken to extra time on Tuesday. 

I know it wasn't a penalty but if we hadn't have got that then it would have been even worse, despite the fact we might have been a bit sharper for today's game.

That really wasn't what I meant.

I mean, we would have won comfortably in normal time apart from a fluke deflection and a worldie strike out of nowhere. We totally dominated them otherwise, and the team we put out was more than adequate to do the job. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Probably wisest just to concede the game before we even kick a ball, then?

**** that I wanna concede the season. Can we just get relegated now?

I'm not saying I think we'll win but Jesus Christ it gets ridiculous in these threads sometimes.

We've 'spent' 51 million and we put that team out.

It's a relegation line up.

FFS - you do realise that we've got players injured/unfit, right?
I'm sure he does, are you seriously saying that's our best 11 from the players he has to choose from?

That line up has just given Sunderland a big boost.

Given fitness and the game on Tuesday night, it could possibly be yes.

I can't agree that even with injuries and illness that that's the best line up at home to Sunderland. Against one of the Sky teams I could perhaps understand playing defensive but this is a game we should be on the offensive from the off.

Gil or Cole should be in for Jack imo.

Come on Villa prove me wrong (again lol)

I'm not saying I think we'll win but Jesus Christ it gets ridiculous in these threads sometimes.

Yep, bit of an overreaction.

I'm sure he does, are you seriously saying that's our best 11 from the players he has to choose from?

I can't agree that even with injuries and illness that that's the best line up at home to Sunderland. Against one of the Sky teams I could perhaps understand playing defensive but this is a game we should be on the offensive from the off.

Gil has hardly played other than 100 minutes mud week and Cole is old, easily closed down.

Gil was absolutely knackered on tuesday, just before he came off he signalled over the bench and pointed to his calfs, so not surprised he's not good to start today

i'm assuming 433, sinclair and bacuna either side of gestede

• Like 1

I can see Sinclair on the left drifting inside more, Amavi to overlap putting crosses in. Bacuna staying wider as Hutton will be more defensive

Bacuna struggles to beat his man at the best of times, hope he's in the mood to put in some killer crosses

It's so frustrating Jack is out. Could see Cattermole and M'Vila both being on yellows after 20mins with him skipping past them, hopefully Gueye will be able to draw a few early fouls and get them treading on eggshells.

But what if Gil isn't fully fit? That was my point.

Zero pace in that team against a slow as **** Sunderland defence. 0-1. 

I thought everyone would be delighted that Gabby has been dropped. Both sinclair and bacuna are quick enough IMO. 2-0 Villa, Sunderland are poo.