Players that you think are rubbish

Zatman

Sterling.

Poor balance,  can't switch general direction well, chops onto his right repeatedly with the ball and loses all momentum and poise.

Can't really beat people with skill, or from a standing start, doesn't use his body well to feint or misdirect. Very easy to defend one on one with the ball.

No left foot. At all.

Can't cross.

Passing quite poor.

Decision making not good, hesitant, kills attacks dead when an overload is on.

Striking of a ball, basic technique is bad, really bad. Sidefoot blazers, and laces scuffers with anything further than 20 yards.

He's quite quick, he's quite direct, he will run for days off the ball. if you're a great team he will occupy defenders off the ball and if you overload the opposite side he can get into scoring positions.

That's it.

If you're a poor team he's a weight around your neck.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2021 at 16:38, rodders0223 said:

Was watching an MLS game on Sky yesterday between Miami and DC IIRC.

There was a striker called Kamara and honest to God he must have been the shittest professional footballer I've ever seen.

Made Ali Dia look like Pele.

Must have been Ola Kamara, former Norwegian international. Can’t comment on the game, but I believe he scored (?) and is generally considered a decent MLS level striker? Certainly no Ali Dia, but again, can’t comment on the specific performance. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2021 at 00:00, villa4europe said:

Declan Rice 

When England are in possession he's utter garbage, both in terms of movement and with the ball at his feet, complete waste of a shirt 

I take this back, I thought last night he was the midfielder that was driving us forward and looked our liveliest player 

Tells you everything you need to know about last night 

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sterling is a woeful excuse for a footballer.

Another one where you can blame Southgate 

The tactic of playing the ball in to space for sterling to run on to is a sound one 

The tactic of playing it in to his feet and having him be the main man dictating England's attacking play is an absolutely **** bizarre one 

If you want to play Sterling for his running and movement that's fine but don't have be the man linking play together, that's not what he is

He saw way too much of the ball this tournament, his goals and good moments will gloss over the bad stuff though, said somewhere else he'll be England's best player but that's more about the role he's been given than his actual performances 

We play through raheem sterling 🤦‍♂️ **** me 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Another one where you can blame Southgate 

The tactic of playing the ball in to space for sterling to run on to is a sound one 

The tactic of playing it in to his feet and having him be the main man dictating England's attacking play is an absolutely **** bizarre one 

If you want to play Sterling for his running and movement that's fine but don't have be the man linking play together, that's not what he is

He saw way too much of the ball this tournament, his goals and good moments will gloss over the bad stuff though, said somewhere else he'll be England's best player but that's more about the role he's been given than his actual performances 

We play through raheem sterling 🤦‍♂️ **** me 

This has been my frustration with the punditry all tournament. So many seem to equate scoring goals with having a good game when in reality, Sterling has been the winger version of Darren Bent. Frustrating in open play, slowing down attacks and running into traffic. Can't get my head around it. 

On 23/06/2021 at 04:24, rodders0223 said:

Sterling.

Poor balance,  can't switch general direction well, chops onto his right repeatedly with the ball and loses all momentum and poise.

Can't really beat people with skill, or from a standing start, doesn't use his body well to feint or misdirect. Very easy to defend one on one with the ball.

No left foot. At all.

Can't cross.

Passing quite poor.

Decision making not good, hesitant, kills attacks dead when an overload is on.

Striking of a ball, basic technique is bad, really bad. Sidefoot blazers, and laces scuffers with anything further than 20 yards.

He's quite quick, he's quite direct, he will run for days off the ball. if you're a great team he will occupy defenders off the ball and if you overload the opposite side he can get into scoring positions.

That's it.

If you're a poor team he's a weight around your neck.

Thank you so much.

I was starting to believe I was living in some dystopic future where I was the only person who could see a player having a bad game, while around me braying lemmings were giving him 9/10 and declaring him player of the tournament.

• Like 1

General question but why is Immobile so bad outside of Italian soil? As much as It's the annual call half the England side completely overrated hours after losing in major tournament looking at posts above, he gave the worst performance by a mile of the 22 players out on the pitch.

I've watched him plenty for Lazio and while he's not world class he's a decent enough striker for top 6 team. Can score headers, plays off shoulder of last defender, o.k link up play etc.

His goal record in Serie A from 2017 season is 29 goals in 33 games, 15 goals in 36, 36 goals in 37 games in 19/20! And last season a pretty good 20 goals in 35 games. As a disclaimer Lazio seem to get more penalties in seasons than even Man. United.

He also scored 22 in 33 for Torino in 13/14.

However....3 goals in 24 games for Dortmund and then just 2 goals in 8 games for Sevilla the following season so he went to two very good european teams and did little.

Even this tournament he started well and scored in first 2 games but really bad in knock out rounds. Is it a mental thing, he needs to be at home and feeling love of the crowd?

1 hour ago, Powehi said:

Thank you so much.

I was starting to believe I was living in some dystopic future where I was the only person who could see a player having a bad game, while around me braying lemmings were giving him 9/10 and declaring him player of the tournament.

Honestly don't think there was too much difference to how he played in world cup 2018 when he got slaughtered even though his performances were o.k. Shows how perception can be skewed when he has a tournament where he reads a few crosses and taps them in.

He's a good player but wouldn't put him in the elite bracket as simply runs up too many blind alleys against clever defensive teams and his finishing when he has time to think lacks so much composure.

Thought Harry Maguire was most consistant England player in this tournament by a distance once he got into the team.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

General question but why is Immobile so bad outside of Italian soil? As much as It's the annual call half the England side completely overrated hours after losing in major tournament looking at posts above, he gave the worst performance by a mile of the 22 players out on the pitch.

I've watched him plenty for Lazio and while he's not world class he's a decent enough striker for top 6 team. Can score headers, plays off shoulder of last defender, o.k link up play etc.

His goal record in Serie A from 2017 season is 29 goals in 33 games, 15 goals in 36, 36 goals in 37 games in 19/20! And last season a pretty good 20 goals in 35 games. As a disclaimer Lazio seem to get more penalties in seasons than even Man. United.

He also scored 22 in 33 for Torino in 13/14.

However....3 goals in 24 games for Dortmund and then just 2 goals in 8 games for Sevilla the following season so he went to two very good european teams and did little.

Even this tournament he started well and scored in first 2 games but really bad in knock out rounds. Is it a mental thing, he needs to be at home and feeling love of the crowd?

I agree and thought it pre tournament, which is why I didn’t fancy them winning the competition. I thought it was their weak link, lacking a (world class centre forward/goalscorer). Likewise Belotti, who I know is liked on here by some, just doesn’t do anything for me.  Every time he came on during the tournament he offered zero threat.

However, they won so it isn’t an issue for them obviously but I do agree with you. 

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I agree and thought it pre tournament, which is why I didn’t fancy them winning the competition. I thought it was their weak link, lacking a (world class centre forward/goalscorer). Likewise Belotti, who I know is liked on here by some, just doesn’t do anything for me.  Every time he came on during the tournament he offered zero threat.

However, they won so it isn’t an issue for them obviously but I do agree with you. 

Belotti is more of a box player, scored loads for Torino just from crosses slung in so you'd need to play that way to get best out of him, he's like Hernandez at Man. United. I agree he'd probably flop in premier league, think Mourinho wants to take him to Roma to replace Dzeko so that's a logical transfer.

• Like 1

Hard to say Immobile at Lazio has a team built for him for the national team they play different , Belotti I think isnt that great. His European record for Lazio is really good too

Italy havent really had a good striker for a while maybe since Balotelli around 2012. Quagliarella maybe another that was good but is nearly 40. High hopes now for Raspadori

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

I fluctuate on Mason Mount. He makes things happen and his pressing leads to problems and him and his teammates getting shots off, but his general play is kind of poor. I've never heard of an attacking midfielder whose main attributes are his off the ball work. Doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I fluctuate on Mason Mount. He makes things happen and his pressing leads to problems and him and his teammates getting shots off, but his general play is kind of poor. I've never heard of an attacking midfielder whose main attributes are his off the ball work. Doesn't make sense. 

He had a really poor tournament after a year of arguably being England's best player 

Southgate deserves criticism for starting him in the final, he had no impact in any game, rewarded his past appearances rather than his current form 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think what i learned about Mount is his most overrated skill is pressing. I seen better pressing from Rudy Gestede

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think what i learned about Mount is his most overrated skill is pressing. I seen better pressing from Rudy Gestede

I mean, he's no Ollie Watkins but he's quick to nip in on loose balls or unaware players. I've seen him set up lots of chances in the PL that way. 

Â