Women's world cup 2015

StefanAVFC

100% self inflicted though. Gave up trying to keep possession and opted for route 1 short cuts. Gave up possession and invited unnecessary pressure.

Heartbreaking but utterly avoidable.

No doubt England's women will still be dwelling on what might have been but last night was probably one of the best England performances ever.

Certainly up to Japan's penalty they looked worthy of being ranked amongst the best and their mental strength and composure was almost Germanic.

Japan were more skilful but England more than made up for that with their athleticism and disciplined play.

Even England's passing was very decent (a phrase not often heard).

England's penalty was a bit dodgy to say the least and they are still looking for that striker with that bit extra to replace Kelly Smith.

But even so, it was a job well done in terms of demonstrating how far they have progressed since their disastrous European Championship two years ago, and totally justified the FA's funding.

However, the job's not finished just yet, and they need to beat the Germans for third-place, if they are to be listed amongst the best in the world.

Unlucky, we could easily have won it in the second half. The thing i got from the game is that how far japan were ahead of us technically but we were stronger. Typical of English football.

Unlucky, we could easily have won it in the second half. The thing i got from the game is that how far japan were ahead of us technically but we were stronger. Typical of English football.

It certainly does prompt all sorts of questions about whether the way different nations play is cultural.

Marta seems typically Brazillian, Houghton seems typically English and Necib seems typically French.

So after all this hype....can anyone explain me the logic of BBC putting the third place play off on their soon to be closed third channel.

Yeah I know 3rd place play offs should be scrapped but England-Germany is still a big deal in any sport and it's on at a good time for once at 9pm. I know BBC have got Wimbledon and other Saturday night stuff but they could surely have fitted this in, just seems a bit of a waste.

Guess its down to viewing figures. How many people are going to want to watch a 3rd place playoff. If it was the final yes BBC1! Also people would be pretty angry about the two main channels having sport on all day and night.

Edited by PaulC

So after all this hype....can anyone explain me the logic of BBC putting the third place play off on their soon to be closed third channel.

Yeah I know 3rd place play offs should be scrapped but England-Germany is still a big deal in any sport and it's on at a good time for once at 9pm. I know BBC have got Wimbledon and other Saturday night stuff but they could surely have fitted this in, just seems a bit of a waste.

saturday night prime time slot though. If was kicking off later I imagine they would have shown it

Disappointing to see Sampson has not set out to beat Germany and seems to be intent on giving several players a World Cup game.

The Germans are totally dominant in the opening minutes but England cope well.

Some great physical stuff from Greenwood, Chapman and Bronze.

The Germans really don't like it up 'em.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Â