Women's world cup 2015

StefanAVFC

The next time someone tries to suggest that the women don't dive, play for fouls, argue with referees or make dirty tackles I will be pointing them straight towards clips from this tournament. It is just like the men's game in that respect, and I don't mean it in a derogatory way.

• Like 1

Oh, how I love to beat the Germans.

Superb performance from England and it was hard to believe they were the same players who struggled in the European Championships only two years ago.

The Germans showed their cynical side the more things didn't go their way and it was the first time I had ever seen their manager Neid, look anything other than imperious.

I am sure Mark Sampson will be in line for some kind of honour for the great job he's done in transforming the England team and taking them to another level.

Will be interesting to see if the media exposure and general good feeling that the women's team has generated will translate to higher crowds at women's league matches. Or will women's football become like rugby union in that support for the National team is much more ingrained than for league games.

I would imagine it will have a short term, at least, affect on the number of girls playing the game though. Which in turn, in theory, should lead to a rising in standard 

Will be interesting to see if the media exposure and general good feeling that the women's team has generated will translate to higher crowds at women's league matches. Or will women's football become like rugby union in that support for the National team is much more ingrained than for league games.

I would imagine it will have a short term, at least, affect on the number of girls playing the game though. Which in turn, in theory, should lead to a rising in standard 

It might attract more girls into the game but I am not sure there is much of a market for the ESL as a spectator sport.

There was the same hope after GB team did okay in the Olympics but it didn't really materialise. 

I am sure the media exposure will help the top players attract sponsorship and endorsement money.

Doubt it, the womens game isn't marketed that well and it's not like all the professional clubs even have womens teams, ours isn't linked to the mens side in any way that you get at clubs like Arsenal and Man. City. Don't think Man. United have one either.

Where I would be disappointed is if in 6 months time England women play a match and only 5k turn up, I think they've earnt the right from this tournament for big crowds for their games for the foreseeable future.

I think like most teams that fans will turn up for a successful team. If England power through their Euro qualifiers I imagine they will still get enthusiastic crowds

I think after England won the world cup in 66 there was a boost in football attendances at club level but I don't think this will happen at club level with the women although it won't do any harm.

The club structure is always going to be a problem as for the most part women's teams seem to be brand extensions for established men's clubs.  Am I right in thinking it was only a year or two back when the Premier League kicked Doncaster Belles out to make room for Manchester City because, you know, Manchester City. 

The club structure is always going to be a problem as for the most part women's teams seem to be brand extensions for established men's clubs.  Am I right in thinking it was only a year or two back when the Premier League kicked Doncaster Belles out to make room for Manchester City because, you know, Manchester City. 

At first sight it did look that way but there was some very dubious shenanigans between the Belles and a Rovers women's team and the Belles were victims of the dog-eat-dog set values they had used themselves when it suited them.

I don't know enough about what happened to comment much more, but to me it does look like women's clubs only exist as extensions of men's clubs.  I think the game would probably be healthier if that wasn't the case.  

I don't know enough about what happened to comment much more, but to me it does look like women's clubs only exist as extensions of men's clubs.  I think the game would probably be healthier if that wasn't the case.  

I don't see how.

As extensions of men's clubs they enjoy facilities and a level of funding they simply couldn't get near as stand alone outfits. It enables professionalism/semi professionalism rather than amateurism and you would expect will in time lead to a rise in standards. 

Its hard to imagine how going it alone the women's game would be better off.

Maybe you are right from a practical point of view, I guess I'd just prefer it if the clubs were independent of the men's game. Too many strings attached for my liking.  It's like when the Next Gen series was canned because the clubs in it weren't the same as the clubs in the Champions League.  It seems all about locking down the status quo which can be damaging.  Do all the Chelsea 'fans' from the midlands now have to support Chelsea women because of some misguided sense of loyalty? Does this mean they are discouraged by social pressure not to go see their local team? 

Â