Women's world cup 2015

StefanAVFC

Absolutely, you dont see people watching a conference game and then moaning about lack of technique or skill compared to watching say Real or Barca. 

so I dont know why womens game is always called shit compared to mens game. If dont like it dont watch it

• Like 2

The England games have been actually gripping in their own unique way...being 1-0 down with Norway with 20 minutes left and coming back....holding on v Canada for 45 minutes and of course the tension at 1-1 v Japan and eventual heartbreak.

Plenty of exciting moments in those games without debating how good the technique is. FWIW and I accept it's difficult to measure but they are some women's players that look a class above and make me think they wouldn't look out of place at some level of mens football. Kelly Smith a few years back was a fantastic player, I think Steph Houghton of the current side is an excellent defender and maybe Aluko with her pace aswell.

The England games have been actually gripping in their own unique way...being 1-0 down with Norway with 20 minutes left and coming back....holding on v Canada for 45 minutes and of course the tension at 1-1 v Japan and eventual heartbreak.

Plenty of exciting moments in those games without debating how good the technique is. FWIW and I accept it's difficult to measure but they are some women's players that look a class above and make me think they wouldn't look out of place at some level of mens football. Kelly Smith a few years back was a fantastic player, I think Steph Houghton of the current side is an excellent defender and maybe Aluko with her pace aswell.

The same Aluko that did nothing against her female counterparts?

Houghton would get bullied by males.

It's an entirely different game and can't really be compared. But I doubt any female could play at some level of men's. Before the Olympics the British ladies teams played against a local u18s side, they lost 4-0

Aluko did quite well when she came on v Germans, showed calm technique to set up a couple of chances that I think Jill Scott fell over the ball. Not sure why she's fallen out of favour as I thought the other centre forwards like that Duggan girl were awful.

Yes I know that's why it's difficult to judge.

Yeah that's the same, that's gone in because of the keeper not because of Alonso

Might just be me I'm not a huge admirer of goals simply because of the distance, apart from probably petrov because of the amount of technique required to hit the ball in the way he did, that's the best one out of the lot but is largely ignored

Agreed.

I appreciate the skill and technique it takes to strike the ball that well from that distance.

But without a goalkeeping blunder, it's a comfortable save.

Just seen the goal from the half way line

That's "world class" in the same way that Rooney vs west ham was, she hasn't even placed it that well, it's not like it's right over her head and hitting a high part of the net, it's low and saveable, that's a GK mistake

Of course catching the keeper off his/her line from the halfway line is a goalkeeper error! That doesn't detract from the goal.

The only way one can succeed in football is to punish your opponent's mistakes. Most players in the women's game and most in the men's game wouldn't have a) seen the opportunity and 2) made the shot. In a video game era, I think people lose sight of how difficult it is to make plays like that happen. Even with the keeper off her line, we're talking about very small margins for error. If I put you at the halfway line, put a keeper on the 18, and tell you, "There you go, lob him," how many would you make out of ten? Now, do it in the context of a match.

It was a killer goal.

Edited by JamieZ

But I think the point v4e is making is that the keeper still should have saved it, regardless of her position. It was he rstumbling and flapping at it which meant it went in.

Compare Beckam's halfway line lob, where the keeper saw it, tried his best to get back but couldn't, to Alonso's vs Newcastle where the keeper just falls over.

Credit to her for the technique, as I said above. it's still a good strike. but the goalkeeping error means it falls short of being an amazing goal

Yeah that's my point, I can see where you're coming from when you say from the half way line lob the keeper takes some doing, but beckham put the ball say a foot below the bar, petrov put his in the top corner, her goal, Rooneys and alonsos they're all down to the keeper panicking and scrambling, her effort was landing about a foot off the floor, might even have bounced before it went in, keepers got a really weak hand on it, that does very little for me

also ramming tennis down peoples throat as well. shameless

Wimbledon is always a huge event and deserves its coverage.

As for women's football, I'm delighted England did well but trying to compare it to the 66 or 90 Men's teams is insulting

I'm still a bit bemused by the post.

BBC1 had the final and now have David Attenbrough meets Obama. 2 has Wimbledon then Dragons Den after. BBC 3 has yet to start and red button also has Wimbledon.

Where is this ramming down our throats wall to wall coverage Mikey is speaking of? ;)

I'm still a bit bemused by the post.

BBC1 had the final and now have David Attenbrough meets Obama. 2 has Wimbledon then Dragons Den after. BBC 3 has yet to start and red button also has Wimbledon.

Where is this ramming down our throats wall to wall coverage Mikey is speaking of? ;)

Did I say wall to wall coverage?

But if you look on the bbc sport website and have it on a Facebook feed...it is constantly mentioned.

It's below the Sterling story on BBC website.

I click on the article and it says live commentary of this game on 5 live sport extra.

If the UK wants more interest in women's football after world cup it means to promote the national league a bit more so I don't see why it's unreasonable to use social media even if that will attract some trolls.

The only way one can succeed in football is to punish your opponent's mistakes.

Hmmmmm. Couldn't disagree any more with that. Sure it is a part of the game, but I'd say it's much smaller than beating your opponent fair and square by simply being "better". Unforced errors, at the top level in the men's game at least, are increasingly rare.

It's below the Sterling story on BBC website.

I click on the article and it says live commentary of this game on 5 live sport extra.

If the UK wants more interest in women's football after world cup it means to promote the national league a bit more so I don't see why it's unreasonable to use social media even if that will attract some trolls.

Exactly this. 

I see Fran Kirby has signed for Chelsea, for a undisclosed but record fee.

No doubt she'll get paid a bit better than at Reading and it will be interesting to see how she copes with the step up to the top tier.

She might not be a mini-Messi but she's definitely a right bobby dazzler.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Hmmmmm. Couldn't disagree any more with that. Sure it is a part of the game, but I'd say it's much smaller than beating your opponent fair and square by simply being "better". Unforced errors, at the top level in the men's game at least, are increasingly rare.

but nearly every goal is an error though. A lot of them small but errors. If Chelsea concede Mourinho will pinpoint the place the goal was conceded through bad positioning or a bad pass halfway up the pitch

but nearly every goal is an error though. A lot of them small but errors. If Chelsea concede Mourinho will pinpoint the place the goal was conceded through bad positioning or a bad pass halfway up the pitch

How often does a player at the top level genuinely "misplace" a pass rather than the opposition forcing the error, or cutting the pass out? Even with defensive errors, how many of those are genuine ricks rather than the defender simply being gotten the better of due to opponent pressure or skilful play? Falling over in the box is one thing, being beaten for pace or positioning is down to a lack of skill.

In my opinion of course...

Â