The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

F*** me!

Something like a policy has appeared after 18 months!

"Under Labour mental health support will be available in less than a month."

I'm breaking out the champagne!

It's been pretty good so far.

Lots of people "don't know who he is" - so he tells them.

Lots of voters didn't believe the last manifesto - so he tells them Labour has moved on and the changing lives, not chanting slogans was good to the hecklers

Lots of people believe Johnson is an incompetent liar - he illustrates that

The stuff about technology and whatnot - bit of a Harold Wilson nod, there. And a Blair nod on education.

So far he's covered health, education, crime...

He's not a brilliant speaker, but he's got a good script.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

He's not a brilliant speaker, but he's got a good script.

It is a good script, but there's very little substance in it - picking out things that aren't platitudes is the important thing - separating the good writer from y'know, actual politics. 

Which is of course a microcosm of Kier as Leader. 

It is a well written speech, professionally delivered - but is it saying anything?

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It is a well written speech, professionally delivered - but is it saying anything?

It is to me, Scott.

You know I've said previously, probably repeatedly three things

1. I despise the tories and what they do and want them out. 2. About half of Labour's last manifesto was pretty good, but the other half contained some stuff that was unnecessary ideology driven nonsense (other views are available, I know). 3. Competence matters enormously for me in a leader, and that last fellow wasn't (IMO) competent

So with that context, I think he said who he is, he identified a load of things we already know is wrong with the nation and the tories and he set out a version of a different way it could be - I liked the stuff he said about technology and longer term industry objectives and the bit where he talked about his Dad's eyes when making something was (for me) really spot on - how we need to get manufacturing and skilled trades kind of more at the forefront and get stuff made in the UK instead of just brought in from abroad (windfarms). Then there was all the traditional stuff on education and health and wotnot. Green New Deal too. I agree not a great deal of detain, but then again it was neither the time nor the place, really. People don't know who he is, why they should vote Labour, didn't vote Labour last time (many many of them). 

So in summary it's saying the tories are terrible, last time we failed, next time we won't and here's what matters to us. As a sales pitch it was a good start, I think.

Needs building on, mind, over the next 12 months

• Like 3

It was a shitty thing to do. It was a single person though, tbf so perhaps not worth the spotlight of being called out by journalists. 

They're clearly objecting to healthcare being referred to as a "calling" rather than a job, but it wasn't particularly great timing.

Edited by Davkaus

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Pretty unclassy then

Aaron Bastani talking bollocks as usual

Fair enough. I saw a tweet from someone who doesn't usually push bollocks that said it was after that section and believed them. I thought that was far enough to check on this occasion but obviously not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It was a single person though, tbf so perhaps not worth the spotlight of being called out by journalists. 

Enough for an article in the Mirror though, and I'm deliberately not linking to that **** rag claiming the heckling was about his mum's death. Good old event for Keir. 

Edited by Davkaus

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Enough for an article in the Mirror though, and I'm deliberately not linking to that **** rag claiming the heckling was about his mum's death. Good old event for Keir. 

For anyone who claims to want to be rid of the T*****, that's...a (checks notes) good thing? Isn't it?

Edited by ml1dch

Dispatches from my house, now I'm back from Labour Party Conference - Day ???

88 mins of my life I'm never getting back. 

Unison owe me £5 for a taxi.

My feet hurt, and so does my back.

Might need a new liver.

I think I fell in love with a Scouse lass I was talking to. I'm not moving to Liverpool, but we'll always have Shoosh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It is a good script, but there's very little substance in it - picking out things that aren't platitudes is the important thing - separating the good writer from y'know, actual politics. 

Which is of course a microcosm of Kier as Leader. 

Nope, it isn't.  It's hollow.  It's empty. Just like the Sir himself. 

It has occurred to me that the next election the tories will paint Starmer as a liar - as effectively as they painted Corbyn a racist - all the while being led by the biggest liar and biggest racist of all. And it's not just that Starmer has misled the membership to be elected - it'll be Brexit front and centre - that Starmer harbours plans to take us back into Europe, but he's not being up front about it - that he will about-face as soon as he is elected, as he has just demonstrated to become Labour leader.

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

What is his actual plan for Brexit ? Is this known for sure ?

Other than not to mention it too often, nope. But others in his circle are devising ways to form a new relationship with Europe and literallly anything that happens along these lines and the tories will scream treachery - and sadly it will work. Starmer = Remain - and always always will.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

What is his actual plan for Brexit ? Is this known for sure ?

The reports from the fringe meeting with all the heavily pro-EU types were quite depressing reading.

All "we'll just be a bit nicer to them than the other lot and that means they'll probably give us all the stuff that they haven't given us over the last five years"

I'm pretty sure that's not the leadership thinking (given it was a fringe meeting) but it did suggest that positions on the subject within the party are still hopelessly unclear and unworkable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Other than not to mention it too often, nope. But others in his circle are devising ways to form a new relationship with Europe and literallly anything that happens along these lines and the tories will scream treachery - and sadly it will work. Starmer = Remain - and always always will.

It'll be interesting to see what the populations opinion of Brexit and our relationship with Europe will be in two years time. I personally suspect that opinion will have shifted even more significantly than it already has.

• Like 1

Â