The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

That's not exactly how the Belfast agreement is phrased, but I'd assume that if such a time came that the SoS for Northern Ireland thought that a voting majority were in favour of Irish reunification then they'd call a referendum to find out, and accept the majority decision.

Then again, I'd hope that any governing party would do that, given that's what has been decided. 

Well this is very promising if true.

The last 6 Independence polls in Scotland have returned 3 yes, and 3 no votes. Labour have previously said they’ve categorically ruled out a referendum any time in the next decade.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I get all that, it’s a very sensible balanced modern take on what the UK is capable of in its managed decline.

What I don’t get, is why he then also has a self titled Labour organised website that states a personal pledge to take water off shareholders and back in to common ownership.

He comes over as very good at admin., I can’t believe its an admin error?

This might sound awful snobby, but I’m not totally convinced that every voter thinks about it at the same level we maybe do

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

This might sound awful snobby, but I’m not totally convinced that every voter thinks about it at the same level we maybe do

Yep, that’s the same conclusion I came to. Say what you need to say, worry about what you need to do later. I think he’s very lucky there aren’t many credible journalists anymore.

Still waiting to understand what this Labour government will want to achieve. Clear now that they only want candidates in the guise of Starmer, mini Starmers almost - people who can be trusted to administer the country competently and efficiently, with political intelligence and 'vigour' as they themselves described it. There'll be some vague attachment to running the country well for everyone, from the right of centre, but that'll be more a case of meeting public expectation than informed by any ideology from the past. Have we ever had such a beige government? It might be welcome after all the turmoil of the last decade...

22 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Please Mr Starmer, please give us some crumbs to help the most vulnerable.

'...No'.

This has already been done up thread, but turning free school meals from "those who need it" to "everyone" isn't helping the most vulnerable. It's giving money to those who don't need it. Which is fine, universal free school meals would be a perfectly coherent policy. But it would be helping people who are literally the opposite of "the most vulnerable".

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

This has already been done up thread, but turning free school meals from "those who need it" to "everyone" isn't helping the most vulnerable. It's giving money to those who don't need it. Which is fine, universal free school meals would be a perfectly coherent policy. But it would be helping people who are literally the opposite of "the most vulnerable".

So Labour’s policy in Wales is wrong and needs to be changed?

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So Labour’s policy in Wales is wrong and needs to be changed?

Not at all. The only thing that needs to change is the rhetoric around who the policy would benefit. 

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Not at all. The only thing that needs to change is the rhetoric around who the policy would benefit. 

Well the policy benefits those that wouldn’t take up free meals due to perceived stigma, ignorance of the scheme etc.. Making it universal takes out that statistical fact that some miss out whenever there is an opt in benefit. There are other lesser benefits such as not needing the admin of collecting money and excluding kids who could afford it but their parents can’t get their shit together. Which then frees up school admin from keeping a register of who’s paid and chasing up overdue monies or identifying kids not to be given food. All as stated as reasons for its roll out when it was launched.

I guess benefits take up in england might be much closer to 100% and the admin in english schools have more free time so it possibly wouldn’t encounter the same issues.

I’m very relaxed about kids in state schools getting a free lunch. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

This has already been done up thread, but turning free school meals from "those who need it" to "everyone" isn't helping the most vulnerable.

Well, actually it is helping them. A system where the wealthier opt out, rather than the poor opting in, is more likely to meet the needs of those who need it. Much, much easier and without stigma, and practically bragging rights for those better off to say "not for me, I can afford it" - than those worse-off, with stubborn pride to say "please help".

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Quite funny really - and to be expected more often, the yoof are not going to play along with Mandleson's Labour

I love that, no **** about, sees an opportunity and pounces. We should be encouraging that generation to hold to account politicians of all badges.

• Like 3

Starmer presented with a real person who will speak back to him and can't do anything but as politely as possible tell them to shut up.

See, people notice when you start going back on your 'promises' at the very first opportunity to do it. And it's not a good look. Regardless what anyone can say about it but being manifesto time etc. You're building a reputation of being as trustworthy as a fox in a henhouse, or being duplicitous and lacking backbone or principles.

I think people need to remember that when Labour are having to row back on pledges they made 3/6/12 months ago that pretty much every day that passes the Tories are leaving an even bigger mess to fix and piling up the debt mountain restricting the means to fix those messes. 

I read today that the government has just borrowed 4 billion pound at the highest interest rates it has borrowed money at since 1979. They know they won't be in power after the next election so the bastards are leaving as big a mess as they can.

Anyone who thinks there are going to be quick fixes to the 14 years of Tory destruction is living in cloud cuckoo land. Labour will be inheriting a bigger mess than they did in 1997. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think people need to remember that when Labour are having to row back on pledges they made 3/6/12 months ago that pretty much every day that passes the Tories are leaving an even bigger mess to fix and piling up the debt mountain restricting the means to fix those messes. 

I read today that the government has just borrowed 4 billion pound at the highest interest rates it has borrowed money at since 1979. They know they won't be in power after the next election so the bastards are leaving as big a mess as they can.

Anyone who thinks there are going to be quick fixes to the 14 years of Tory destruction is living in cloud cuckoo land. Labour will be inheriting a bigger mess than they did in 1997. 

The reason we needed vast investment was because the world is burning, fossil fuels are a high cost security risk, and other nations are investing and leaving us behind. 

What’s changed there in the last 3/6/12 months?

Borrowing is now so expensive we have to accept we lost and we’ll just have a few moderately comfy years of managed decline.

Get that **** slogan on the side of a bus.

It's not exactly a resounding endorsement of a future government that they've had to bin their recent promises because they've realised the situation is so bad those promises are undeliverable. It's not like this snuck up on us, we've not been blindsided by the works going to shit. Even with Ukraine that's been in the calculations for over a year.

I just find this Labour party **** tragic.

53 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Starmer presented with a real person who will speak back to him and can't do anything but as politely as possible tell them to shut up.

I'd be with you if it was at a meet and greet or similar event, but what's the plausible alternative for them showing up to shout over his speech? "Sure thing, grab a chair, let's turn this into a debate"?

So the economic situation due to Tory mismanagement is so bad that an incoming Labour government won’t be able to change anything.  So if they leave everything as it is then how is anything going to get better? 

Â