The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The free meals are very good, the kids that want a wider choice, can still have a wider choice. I'm one of the parents that accepts the free meals, we then give more to things like the PTA which serves other areas of the school which are vastly underfunded. The kids all sit together and eat and there's no division or stigma over who has the free stuff, as overall there is a blend. What's more the caterer that provides the meals is a not for profit organisation, so any profit goes back into the system.  What's not to like about this way of doing things? 

It sounds perfectly fine.

I just don't think that me chipping in a few quid a week for such a system, while those who couldn't afford it wouldn't have to, would be the thing that stopped it from sounding perfectly fine. 

Edited by ml1dch

Keir Starmer has been accused of presiding over a Labour party obsessed with “petty tyranny”, as the head of the centre-left pressure group Compass claimed he faced expulsion as a member after 44 years.

In a move that will reignite concerns of overzealous factionalism on the part of the Labour leader’s allies, Neal Lawson said they were determined to maintain a “domineering power” that had even left some MPs “cowed by the fear that they will be next”.

Grauniad

attenborough "After feasting on socia-... anti-semetic faces and wiping them out of the territory, the sensibilist face eating leopard finds it must secure it's future with the consumption of all creatures in its domain that do not wholly resemble it" /attenborough 

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Grauniad

attenborough "After feasting on socia-... anti-semetic faces and wiping them out of the territory, the sensibilist face eating leopard finds it must secure it's future with the consumption of all creatures in its domain that do not wholly resemble it" /attenborough 

He retweeted a LibDem MP's call for their supporters to vote Green.

I'm not sure what expected tbh, it's always been against the rules of the Labour Party to show support for other political parties.

All his talk about Labour being founded on pluralism, whilst true, that pluralism was internal to the Labour Party

I'm really not sure what he expected would happen.

It just adds to the nice hypocrisy brew. Work to actively undermine the party, doubles all round old chap. Starmer has even spoken out against people being booted from the party for openly voting against it.

Lovely people.

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure what expected tbh, it's always been against the rules of the Labour Party to show support for other political parties.

All his talk about Labour being founded on pluralism, whilst true, that pluralism was internal to the Labour Party

Sure. But it's not like there isn't precedent for people to have supported (or even stood for) other parties in the party's recent history who have been welcomed back with open arms. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Sure. But it's not like there isn't precedent for people to have supported (or even stood for) other parties in the party's recent history who have been welcomed back with open arms. 

There is also Alistair Campbell on the other side of that coin

This bloke hasn't been expelled yet either. He may not be, who knows

EDIT: Also the likes of Luciana Berger left first thenhad activities with other parties, which is a different situation.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The retweet was in 2021.

He co founded Compass 20 years ago, this is what they say about themselves on their website:

We are founded on the belief that no single issue, organisation or political party can make a Good Society a reality by themselves so we have to work together to make it happen. 

I guess that tweet 2 years ago was just the straw that broke the camel’s back for Labour.

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The retweet was in 2021.

He co founded Compass 20 years ago, this is what they say about themselves on their website:

I guess that tweet 2 years ago was just the straw that broke the camel’s back for Labour.

Given his political stance (centre - left) it would have taken someone to complain about it for it to come to the Party's attention.

Now there's two obvious types of people who would report it, either someone he's annoyed in some shape or form personally or someone from the “other side” (whatever that may be)

Now imagine the fuss that would be kicked up if the reportee from the other side saw that nothing happened after they'd reported it…

So purge or due process?

Get rid of him and it's a purge, do nothing and it’s  one rule for one etc. Labour can't really win. Complaint made, due process being followed. It’s all Labour can do

On 27/06/2023 at 14:48, Jareth said:

We've had free school meals implemented at primary age in Wales. In my kids classes those who can afford what they want come to school with their own packed lunch full of everything their heart desires - they don't take the free option. Some who can afford it do, but not many. If Labour have a better idea I'm all ears - but I can see in practice that the idea works. Labour are on the same side as the Tories here.

In Wales, children on free school meals have a different meal than those that pay? 

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

In Wales, children on free school meals have a different meal than those that pay? 

There's a hot and cold option, lots are wedded to their own packed lunch so carry on with that, some will take the free option and supplement it with bits from home, some will just take the free option because in reality it's enough. 

My grandson has free school meals until year 3. The meals are the same for payers and free meals. Depending what it is, Pizza, Burger or not, is the reason he will have packed lunch or not. 

11 hours ago, Jareth said:

There's a hot and cold option, lots are wedded to their own packed lunch so carry on with that, some will take the free option and supplement it with bits from home, some will just take the free option because in reality it's enough. 

I didn't realise that. 

At our school free school meals means they have a free school meal. Not a different one. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I didn't realise that. 

At our school free school meals means they have a free school meal. Not a different one. 

No there’s one menu, hot and cold. So everyone gets it, but those for whom it’s not to their taste, bring in a packed lunch full of stuff from home. Some do half and half. 

I'm crap at explaining!

Edited by Jareth

Anyway, Thames Water:

From the Labour website KeirStarmer.com:

5. Common ownership

Public services should be in public hands, not making profits for shareholders. Support common ownership of rail, mail, energy and water.

Anybody know how that’s going?

Labour have already set their stall out to not spook the horses - no nationalisation, meaningless fiscal guidelines will fix everything.

Warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it? Change? No!

Cruddas, who is writing a history to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first Labour government, told the Observer the way the party was purging critics and trying to stifle internal debate was a disgrace that would come back to haunt it: “This is unprecedented in Labour history – the most rightwing, illiberal faction in the party has been handed control to decide who is and is not a member. They are settling scores and are clearly embarked on a witch-hunt – not just of the Corbynite left but of mainstream democrats within the party such as Neal.

Grauniad

Purges are ok when the people we like do them.

Some of the rhetoric from the 'purged' is starting to sound a lot like Trumpism, be it if you break the rules of the party or not.

'Witch hunt!'

'Made up nonsense!'

'The right is taking me out'

I don't get why so many of the purposed targets of the witch hunt can't abide by the rules that their blessed St. Jezza enforced with just the same fervour. It's like the left of labour struggle to read the rule book and keep stepping in it. It makes Keir's job easy. You'd think that they'd manage to at least follow some very basic rules.

I'm not a fan of the factionalism but I do sometimes wonder if politicians ever actually considered reading the rule book.

Â