The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

So Labour have black-balled candidates for sharing a platform with Ken Loach - the mahoosive antisemite. Turns out they'd have to refuse the Pope too - he would not be deemed a good quality candidate. 

Novelist Jhumpa Lahiri and directors Ken Loach and Abel Ferrara also participated in the audience along with a slew of Italian A-listers.

Pope Francis told the artists to distance themselves from depicting a "cosmetic" form of beauty "that conceals rather than reveals" and to instead create art that "strives to act as a conscience critical of society, unmasking truisms."

"Like the biblical prophets, you confront things that at times are uncomfortable; you criticize today's false myths and new idols, its empty talk, the ploys of consumerism, the schemes of power," Pope Francis said.

https://www.usccb.org/news/2023/artists-prophets-must-share-truth-better-world-pope-says

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So Labour have black-balled candidates for sharing a platform with Ken Loach - the mahoosive antisemite. Turns out they'd have to refuse the Pope too - he would not be deemed a good quality candidate. 

Novelist Jhumpa Lahiri and directors Ken Loach and Abel Ferrara also participated in the audience along with a slew of Italian A-listers.

Pope Francis told the artists to distance themselves from depicting a "cosmetic" form of beauty "that conceals rather than reveals" and to instead create art that "strives to act as a conscience critical of society, unmasking truisms."

"Like the biblical prophets, you confront things that at times are uncomfortable; you criticize today's false myths and new idols, its empty talk, the ploys of consumerism, the schemes of power," Pope Francis said.

https://www.usccb.org/news/2023/artists-prophets-must-share-truth-better-world-pope-says

This is a leap isnt it, the pope had Ken Loach in the audience for something, and this is connected to Labour. Come on, even you must have had second thoughts before you hit submit.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

This is a leap isnt it, the pope had Ken Loach in the audience for something, and this is connected to Labour. Come on, even you must have had second thoughts before you hit submit.

Nope - Loach was invited there, for this particular audience - on the basis of his body of work over decades, a work that fights for social justice. He didn't just turn up. The same work he discussed with Jamie Driscoll, which got Driscoll barred form standing for mayor again.

Labour have a very narrow criteria for candidates, what Labour see as a black mark, others away from crappy UK politics see as a mission for good. Point being - Labour is hamstrung by what it thinks it needs to do to win power, at the expense of those who already know what people in the UK need. And as for throwing crap at the likes of Loach, that's just reprehensible.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

correct

You say this like its a bad thing :D 

Yeah I get the pope is all a bit of fun - but he's clearly not swayed by popular opinion in the UK, he obviously can't have spent enough time on Twitter when deriving his morals, unlike Labour's NEC.

His holiness aside - what about Starmer's attendance at Murdoch's summer party? A necessary evil?

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeah I get the pope is all a bit of fun

He's not a bit of fun, the Catholic Church is positively evil. Anti-gay, AIDS spreading, paedophile enabling, antisemitic... it's a multifaceted axis of evil

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeah I get the pope is all a bit of fun - but he's clearly not swayed by popular opinion in the UK, he obviously can't have spent enough time on Twitter when deriving his morals, unlike Labour's NEC.

His holiness aside - what about Starmer's attendance at Murdoch's summer party? A necessary evil?

Are we back at this?

Yes, the Pope is bad. He's head of a church that's admitted to hiding sexual predation of young kids for decades, used orphanages as brothels, plundered art and treasure from around the world for centuries. Though I'm not quite sure what the connection is to labour, unlike Loach and Driscoll.

If Italy were to tax the catholic church for all the property they've stolen from believers over the years it'd be positively rich.

Edited by magnkarl

30 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Guys, I don't know how cool it is to be so one-sidedly dismissive of a religious body - don't you realise you're offending Catholics?

Do we really have to go back to basics and explain the difference?

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do we really have to go back to basics and explain the difference?

As much as I'd benefit from that I thought it pertinent earlier to move back towards Labour chit chat -

What do we think about Starmer at Murdoch's party?  He didn't look particularly pleased being photographed as he left.

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

What do we think about Starmer at Murdoch's party?

I don't care, I'm not a Labour voter currently

But last time Labour got into power, that's exactly what Blair did

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I don't care, I'm not a Labour voter currently

But last time Labour got into power, that's exactly what Blair did

I like that you can read this as either an endorsement or a warning depending on your perspective.

Lots of Labour scaling back plans lately too. Today they rule out free school meals to pursue 'other more cost effective ways to tackle poverty'. It's no surprise in the scheme of things, that they've been un-announcing policies they only recently tentatively announced, it's been a pattern. They must be fiscally disciplined, they say. On free school meals though, I don't see why they've axed this - they are on the same side as the tories, Vs Rashford debate. What happened to axing private school VAT exemptions to feed kids in poverty? What more direct and effective ways are there to tackle poverty than by feeding kids who can't afford breakfast and lunch? Can anybody with confidence explain what Labour stand for?

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Lots of Labour scaling back plans lately too. Today they rule out free school meals to pursue 'other more cost effective ways to tackle poverty'. It's no surprise in the scheme of things, that they've been un-announcing policies they only recently tentatively announced, it's been a pattern. They must be fiscally disciplined, they say. On free school meals though, I don't see why they've axed this - they are on the same side as the tories, Vs Rashford debate. What happened to axing private school VAT exemptions to feed kids in poverty? What more direct and effective ways are there to tackle poverty than by feeding kids who can't afford breakfast and lunch? Can anybody with confidence explain what Labour stand for?

The argument is whether free school meals should be universal or targeted. And while there are perfectly good arguments for both, the one that they are going with is "don't spend the money on the children whose parents can easily afford to pay for them". 

Nobody is advocating taking away targeted support as far as I can see.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

The argument is whether free school meals should be universal or targeted. And while there are perfectly good arguments for both, the one that they are going with is "don't spend the money on the children whose parents can easily afford to pay for them". 

Nobody is advocating taking away targeted support as far as I can see.

We've had free school meals implemented at primary age in Wales. In my kids classes those who can afford what they want come to school with their own packed lunch full of everything their heart desires - they don't take the free option. Some who can afford it do, but not many. If Labour have a better idea I'm all ears - but I can see in practice that the idea works. Labour are on the same side as the Tories here.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We've had free school meals implemented at primary age in Wales. In my kids classes those who can afford what they want come to school with their own packed lunch full of everything their heart desires - they don't take the free option. Some who can afford it do, but not many. If Labour have a better idea I'm all ears - but I can see in practice that the idea works. Labour are on the same side as the Tories here.

I could easily afford to send my children with a lavish packed lunch every day. As it is, I pay for school lunches and they would continue to use school lunches if they were to become free. The situation above which appears to boil down to "poor kids have to eat the school gruel while looking longingly at the cheese strings and wagon wheels of their wealthier friends" doesn't sound like a recipe for a social and educational Utopia to me. 

How do our contradictory anecdotes of our own children's experiences offer evidence for one policy or other being correct?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

I could easily afford to send my children with a lavish packed lunch every day. As it is, I pay for school lunches and they would continue to use school lunches if they were to become free. The situation above which appears to boil down to "poor kids have to eat the school gruel while looking longingly at the cheese strings and wagon wheels of their wealthier friends" doesn't sound like a recipe for a social and educational Utopia to me. 

How do our contradictory anecdotes of our own children's experiences offer evidence for one policy or other being correct?

Is your anecdote based on a school that is running free school meals? It would help to compare apples with apples.

The free meals are very good, the kids that want a wider choice, can still have a wider choice. I'm one of the parents that accepts the free meals, we then give more to things like the PTA which serves other areas of the school which are vastly underfunded. The kids all sit together and eat and there's no division or stigma over who has the free stuff, as overall there is a blend. What's more the caterer that provides the meals is a not for profit organisation, so any profit goes back into the system.  What's not to like about this way of doing things? 

Â