The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

I think a lot of that comes from sensible taxes for corporations, not to mention the £100b kick start from the Trident money. 

I think the pension at 60 one is probably the one that's easiest to argue with, 60 has become an age at which people don't think of themselves as ready for immediate retirement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jon said:

Except he's not actually saying that.  He seems happy for everyone to have disparate views.  I'm not sure I agree with that though.  I think he needs to crack the whip

I think he has been. Here's a report

Jeremy Corbyn reduced his Shadow Cabinet to stunned silence at their weekly meeting by pronouncing that there must be more message discipline. This came from the man they remember as having set some sort of record during 32 years on the back benches for the number of times he rebelled against the Labour leadership, with no concern at all for message discipline. 

He spoke of collective responsibility and working together, even suggesting that shadow cabinet members should run their statements and interventions past his office. 

admittedly unattributed, but there's every reason to believe it's accurate - it's basically what an MP present told the correspondent who wrote it. There are plenty of other examples, unfortunately.

Most of the proclamations he's made so far have been about having broad discussions and letting opposing opinions be heard. He's even put quite a few in his shadow  cabinet. 

I do think it's about time he cracked the whip though. He's got the mandate.  If the PLP don't like it then they know their options ...

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think he has been. Here's a report

admittedly unattributed, but there's every reason to believe it's accurate - it's basically what an MP present told the correspondent who wrote it. There are plenty of other examples, unfortunately.

Jez was never in the cabinet or shadow cabinet,  so the comparison isn't amazingly accurate

The problem with the list, is as Davkaus has said - while an ornery person might agree with 9/10ths of it or most of it (or not) where it contains (as it does) at least one and probably several utterly daft things, then if a politician signs up to say they agree with it, then they've kind of committed to support something ridiculous. They could feasibly be in a  position where they might actually do the ridiculous thing.

The daftest one of the lot on the list is "nationalise every business that makes people redundant". I mean just think about it for a minute....

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

The daftest one of the lot on the list is "nationalise every business that makes people redundant". I mean just think about it for a minute....

And he wants to run the treasury. :huh:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jon said:

Most of the proclamations he's made so far have been about having broad discussions and letting opposing opinions be heard. He's even put quite a few in his shadow  cabinet. 

I do think it's about time he cracked the whip though. He's got the mandate.  If the PLP don't like it then they know their options ...

Fair enough. I think the problem is that if he cracks the whip, he's betraying his principles of open debate and all that and if he doesn't then there's a kind of shambles.

Furthermore the "do as your told or do one" approach, if he took it would mean, given that almost all of them don't want him as leader could and probably would lead to them all doing one, another leadership election, Corbyn getting elected again and groundhog day. That's not going to end well, whichever way he goes.

So they need a kind of session(s) where they thrash out their approach, set some clearer rules about voicing different views and then take it from there.

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The full list of 'demands' that our current shadow chancellor signed his name to earlier this year.

Wow he did well to write all that whilst wearing a straight jacket ...

On 18. november 2015 kl. 13.03.17, TrentVilla said:

The man is utterly unelectable and I say that as a lifetime Labour voter.

I won't be voting for him or the party next time around.

This is interesting. And I'm not being rhetorical here. 

In terms of policy, why won't you be voting for him and/or the party? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I just wonder quite how much you'd need to tax the rich in order to afford it all

With the rich, it's not just how much you want to tax them, it's more about how much they decide they have to pay not to get a bothersome letter from the tax man asking them if they wouldn't mind paying a little more as it appears they might have been cheating.

Scum can owe £100 and will get sanctioned. Millionaires can owe millions and will be asked to please pay a bit more, when convenient.

Just getting equal treatment would be a leap forward.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

With the rich, it's not just how much you want to tax them, it's more about how much they decide they have to pay not to get a bothersome letter from the tax man asking them if they wouldn't mind paying a little more as it appears they might have been cheating.

Scum can owe £100 and will get sanctioned. Millionaires can owe millions and will be asked to please pay a bit more, when convenient.

I'm all for equal treatment , we should all pay the same tax would be a good start 

Edited by tonyh29

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm all for equal treatment , we should all pay the same tax would be a good start 

Equal treatment isn't the same as paying the same tax though, I mean treating people with equal respect, not just people with money.

Some people in the fortunate position of having more money should contribute more, financially. After all, if we agree the poor should not pay tax on their £8,000 income, we can't really have the rich not paying tax on their £80,000. Can we?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

We do.

You and I would both pay the same amount of tax on receipt of the same level of income (by the same means allowing for the quality of accountants and tax lawyers involved).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Equal treatment isn't the same as paying the same tax though, I mean treating people with equal respect, not just people with money.

Some people in the fortunate position of having more money should contribute more, financially. After all, if we agree the poor should not pay tax on their £8,000 income, we can't really have the rich not paying tax on their £80,000. Can we?

Well arguably they do , just not directly through income tax

they'd have bigger cars so thus pay more fuel tax , more company car tax , more vat on the purchase of the car , they'd pay a bigger council tax band as a result of the bigger tax which they also paid higher rates of stamp duty on

Try and tax people at 50% to 60% and of course they will resent it and find ways to get out of it ... Stick the tax on other areas and they pay it without batting an eyelid ... 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Pretty sure this means I'm scum. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jon said:

Current poll in the indy puts jezzas personal leadership rating way ahead of daves. Best leadership rating of all 4 Westminster leaders. His is the only rating that didn't fall. 

Oh the polls say.... 

Ok then. ;)

I wasn't talking about opinion polls though it was a direct reply to Tony saying he hoped Murdoch hadn't peaked too early hammering him.

My view is that there will be a whole lot more to come yet. The wheels are already wobbling on the shadow cabinet and it's going to get worse for some of the reasons Blandy has pointed out. 

Whatever the polls say the PLP is in my view failing to even remotely challenge the Government at this time or expand on its likely share of the electorate, if anything I think they are losing voters myself included.

• Like 1

Â