The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

No one has to decide it. It doesn't really matter if you are a member of a party or not. Firstly, all election material would be paid for by the state, no mention of parties allowed, policies and principals and a biog only. NO WHIPS allowed in that chamber, you will get your government funding regardless of any party activity, you nullify the effects of a party. The whole chamber would vote in any positions requiring election. Oh and did I mention that you would only be allowed to stand for election every other parliament, you have to sit the next one out. Absolutely not unworkable

I like the no whips bit the best. The rest I mostly don't like, though kind of understand the thinking behind it.

I don't like the idea of paying for election material through the state. I don't want my taxes paying for BNP posters or whatever.

Second I don't like the idea of only being allowed to be MP for one go at a time. here's why, for example. Say a person gets elected in wales on the basis of protecting jobs in a mine or steel works that's under threat. They might be doing a great job over the 5 years, establish contacts in the EU, get grants lined up, gain loads of knowledge and experience as to how to effectively help their area, and then after 5 years, despite all the voters wanting them to stay "sorry mate, you've got to go and a new bod has to take over and start learning from scratch" - to me that's undemocratic and wasteful. or to put it in two words "Caroline Lucas"

I think as well that it's not parties as a thing that I dislike, more the way the main ones behave in the UK. The idea of "labels" that can be used to group people of a broadly similar outlook and viewpoint is very useful for voters and for those people as well. The idea that people of the same "label" might loosely co-operate and co-ordinate to make sure that the things they represent and want to happen are followed up on is also an overall good and necessary thing. So if you have a group of pro nationalisation of the railways type people who also want to label themselves as the "public ownership movement" or whatever, voters can see straight away what they're voting for, those people can work together to try and get publicly owned rail, and I reckon are more likely to succeed in their stated aim. Just change "label" for "party" and it's still fine. it's the coercion, the whipping, the threats and promises of promotions or demotions, deselection and all that which is the problem, not the idea of people working together formally (or informally) to represent the interests of a groups or groups of society.

Getting to that sort of arrangement from where we are now seems more than a little unlikely, sadly.

Key point well made.

• 3 weeks later...

WTF is going on this picture ? Have they shrunk Corbyn or is he flanked by Blunderbore's chairs ?  and why does one of his legs appear to have been stretched  .... How can we trust a man to run the country with one leg far longer than the other

10711159-1-1-589x442.jpg

• Like 1

As well as being Mr Tickle in disguise, he also appears to be wearing sandal/flip flop type of footwear. Clearly not to be trusted 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm not sure it's 'shopped, I think it's a disaster of a lense, heading towards being a fish eye.

Of course, it could have been deliberately the wrong lense to make him look like a div.

Agree but thats not a fish eye, the distortion isn't circular  Its more like some very strange tilt and shift but even thats ruled out because of the depth of field.

Bonkers lens

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Agree but thats not a fish eye, the distortion isn't circular  Its more like some very strange tilt and shift but even thats ruled out because of the depth of field.

Bonkers lens

5 hours ago, bickster said:

It looks like the kind of result you get if you use an action camera in still mode.

• Like 1

On 16 November 2015 16:13:37, tonyh29 said:

WTF is going on this picture ? Have they shrunk Corbyn or is he flanked by Blunderbore's chairs ?  and why does one of his legs appear to have been stretched  .... How can we trust a man to run the country with one leg far longer than the other

10711159-1-1-589x442.jpg

On the plus side it means he will go around in circles rather than lurching off to the right ;)

• Like 2

Ken Livingston given the task of defence review for the Labour party including Trident ....can't even begin to guess what the anti-nuclear campaigner views are on Trident  ....should be a fun few weeks with him and Maria Eagle ....

On 16/11/2015, 16:13:37, tonyh29 said:

10711159-1-1-589x442.jpg

In case it hasn't already been said. Socks (or stockings - they're at least up to his knees there) and sandals. 

The man is a monster and must be stopped. 

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The man is utterly unelectable and I say that as a lifetime Labour voter.

I won't be voting for him or the party next time around.

Who will you be voting for then? Or you just not going to votte?

Also why do you have this opinion of him out of curosity?

I understand why Labour as a wider party elected him. It was a rejection of the shiny polished substance-lite of Bliar and Call-Me-Dave but he is no  more of a credible Prime Minister than Michael Foot was. 

Labour's key problem is that the ethos is inarguably positive for the vast majority of the population - but once folks are in that booth it takes an awful lot of persuading (or a monumental Tory **** up c.1997) to get elected. Far easier to be "I'm alright Jack" on election night than worry about the greater good. 

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

Whenever someone says Corbyn is unelectable, I look at who is in charge now and laugh a sour laugh.

See, I have the warm glow of knowing that if the shit really hits the fan, David Cameron will, without hesitation, do exactly as he's told.

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

See, I have the warm glow of knowing that if the shit really hits the fan, David Cameron will, without hesitation, do exactly as he's told.

Yep, Corbyn would stall and we would probably be bombed. Talking about scraping trident while this is all going on is absolute madness. We have to be able to defend ourselves if someone comes at us

Â