The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

What are you on about? Your 'it's a bit dodgy, but hey he did a great election campaign. so all's ok' claim has been pointed out to be tripe.

What, on earth, are you on about? :huh:

Meant to pull him up on the ten members of the union thing but forgot first time. The NUM membership was approx 2000 when Lavery was the president.

I believe the ten-figure was one branch had ten members and 9 of them were Union officials but if that ten represented the entire number of miners in that county, then I'm not sure exactly what the issue was, the branch needs to fill its union posts.

I think that's where @colhint got confused

The other thing I remember from the debate on here that day, was that Lavery was roundly castigated by even the most ardent Labour supporters, so I'm unsure about that Trumpian part of his moan

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Meant to pull him up on the ten members of the union thing but forgot first time. The NUM membership was approx 2000 when Lavery was the president.

I believe the ten-figure was one branch had ten members and 9 of them were Union officials but if that ten represented the entire number of miners in that county, then I'm not sure exactly what the issue was, the branch needs to fill its union posts.

I think that's where @colhint got confused

The other thing I remember from the debate on here that day, was that Lavery was roundly castigated by even the most ardent Labour supporters, so I'm unsure about that Trumpian part of his moan

It was ten members (of the Northumberland Area) but that was in 2013 and 2014. Prior to that it was 240. I guess it may have been significantly more than that (i.e. towards your 2000 figure) prior to 2002?

From the regulator:

22.Another area drawn to my attention was the sudden reduction in members recorded in the Union’s AR21 in 2013. The AR21s from 2002 to 2012 show the Union’s membership as 240 each year. This dropped to 10 in 2013 and remained at 10 in 2014. The allegations stated that this sudden drop was “surprising” and called into question whether the Union had fulfilled its duty to maintain an accurate membership register.

23.This office made enquiries of the Union aimed at gaining a fuller picture of the reason for the decline in membership. The Union explained that leading up to 2013 the Union had been contacting members and advising them to change to different unions in circumstances where they had moved from the area or changed their employment.

24.The Union confirmed that it reduced the recorded membership to 10 in 2012, to reflect the number of persons paying full subscriptions by direct debit or standing order.

I'm not sure where the 80 years stuff came from or the stuff about 'covering his expenses'.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

It was ten members (of the Northumberland Area) but that was in 2013 and 2014. Prior to that it was 240. I guess it may have been significantly more than that (i.e. towards your 2000 figure) prior to 2002?

From the regulator:

I'm not sure where the 80 years stuff came from or the stuff about 'covering his expenses'.

My 2000 figure was entire membership of NUM not the one area, being as Lavery whilst being from the Northumberland branch was President of the entire Union

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

My 2000 figure was entire membership of NUM not the one area, being as Lavery whilst being from the Northumberland branch was President of the entire Union

Right, gotcha.

The stuff about the money (i.e. this £165k) relates solely to transactions between him and the Northumberland Area, though, I think (including the benevolent fund).

Just now, snowychap said:

Right, gotcha.

The stuff about the money (i.e. this £165k) relates solely to transactions between him and the Northumberland Area, though, I think (including the benevolent fund).

Quite possibly, not that au fait with the story tbh because its Unions and I'm not particularly a fan of most of them

9 hours ago, colhint said:

Do you guys have practice sessions or team talks each week? 

Say something bad about Labour. 

Right I need two in straight away to defend the situation

Then a couple of pictures or quotes of rich Tories

Then it's not as bad  as something the Tories are doing to poor people

Then the individual was a fool.

You don't do the same to the Tories.

A Tory screws up it's all Tories are uncaring Barstewards. Only looking after  their mates.

It seems this guy is a mysogenist, a racist and a homophobe. 

but all you want to do is discuss it's not as bad as the Torys.

I reckon Harvey Weinstein  wouldn't mind a few of you on his team

After all no poor person has died watching one of his films.

Did you miss the bit where I said I'd be baying for blood if he was a Tory? And that he's been rightly suspended?

It'll trigger a by-election and he was selected by Momentum so it's bad news for people such as myself who support Labour and the Corbyn side. But if I believe that morals are a difference between the left and the right then this kind of shit needs to be nipped in the bud and dealt with even if it costs a seat.

46 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I believe that morals are a difference between the left and the right 

I’m sure some on the left have them so no need to lump them all in one catagory 

14 hours ago, colhint said:

A Tory screws up it's all Tories are uncaring Barstewards. Only looking after  their mates.

Weird post, but I understand feeling alienated somewhat on this forum as a Conservative supporter. The majority of posters seem to be between 20-40 years old and left-leaning at the least. 

However, I think this story probably would’ve gotten more discussion if it wasn’t something a then-20 year old said online 15 years ago and it was actually to do with politics. Same with Lavery (although I find fraudulent behaviour worse than off-cuff comments tbh) - it wasn’t anything to do with what he’s doing now.  Tories - rightly or wrongly (rightly ;)) - get a harder time because they’re currently **** up the country and currently lying about things all the time.  There’s nothing positive about the party as a whole.

Props to @darrenm for admitting he’d have been all over it had this been a Conservative MP.  Others probably wouldn’t have been as the story isn’t particularly interesting beyond “what, he generalised women at a gig as slags a few years back? That’s poor form”. If there are more current views and comments, he’ll be dismissed. As things stand, he’s rightly been suspended. 

Which is understandable if it was all said and done 15 years ago, but reading more into it, Some of it was much later, I think I saw an interview, I think on Sky, but not sure, some of it was this year. So if it wasn't all 15 years ago, it does appear to be a consistent theme with him over a long period.

3 minutes ago, colhint said:

Which is understandable if it was all said and done 15 years ago, but reading more into it, Some of it was much later, I think I saw an interview, I think on Sky, but not sure, some of it was this year. So if it wasn't all 15 years ago, it does appear to be a consistent theme with him over a long period.

You do realise that no ones said it’s ok, no ones defended him... he’s been suspended from the Labour Party. I’m not actually sure what you expect to happen. Public castration maybe?

• Like 3

It makes no difference to me, I was just responding to the belief that it was all done 15 years ago , when it appears to be ongoing and more recent. Whatever the Labour party do with him is of no concern to me.

I mean at media organisations that don't much like Corbyn. That's a long been an attack line against the current Labour leadership. They'd wet themselves if they found something about Israel in amongst the comments about 'slags'.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, colhint said:

Is it frustrating for you that this issue case been put into context by people on the forum?

Of course, you may (along with the Conservative party, and the moguls that run the mainstream media) may want this story to dominate the political narrative for weeks on end. 

It might be in the news, it'll get plenty of comment. The individual involved will get everything he deserves. Kick him out I'd say, have a by-election. That'll be another interesting story. 

Personally, I won't ignore the failings of the government or the hipocrasy of the reaction of Conservatives because of this story. I sense others are the same.

I'll criticise Jared O'Mara for saying sexist, homophobic and all around horrible things, it's not acceptable for any MP. But I'll also keep an eye on the wider issues in this country and won't let the government off the hook because a Labour MP has disgraced themselves. 

I guess that's how politics has changed in recent years. The mainstream media (and therefore the Neo liberalist fanatics that run it) no longer dominate political discourse in this country. 

I guess that immensely frustrating for some.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I guess that immensely frustrating for some.

I guess what they could have done is said , yeah O'Mara is a bit of a  tool  and then tottered off to the Tory thread and pasted their daily   "Tory's are evil " from their clipboard

what they chose to do was reply with something straight out of central office and not even remotely related

I can imagine them down the pub  ...What do you want to drink ? check leftfootforward.com  for appropriate response to question ...... yeah those Torys are all selfish rocket polishers aren't they

Yes I'm aware the Politics threads have always been that way 

I got to be honest I haven't got a clue what @colhint and @tonyh29 are waffling on about over the last couple of pages. All I have seen in relation to O'Mara and Lavery is condemnation.

In terms of those of us saying it should be put into perspective against things that are happening that are having a dire impact on peoples lives that seems a perfectly rational thing to do.

Of course there is the possibility that me being a Tory hater is making me not see things but this seems like people reading into something that simply isn't there.

Edited by markavfc40

Â