The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

And then because they don't think of these things as left wing, they vote for parties who are patently opposed to them, but couch their opposition in confusing rhetoric that makes them sound sympathetic to those things they ideologically abhor. "A shared society" that sounds nice.

They being maybe, what a third of the country, perhaps?  Broken system.

• Like 1

I think the seat is still safe , I don't see Stoke turning Tory and UKIP are finished

more interesting is if any other Labour MP's are going to follow suit  ... anyone got the Labour Party in Deadpool 2017 ?

Yeah that's really bad.But I think a lot of the slide has been arrested and Labour are fighting back. The recent policies that seem to get a bashing on here seem pretty popular almost everywhere else.

We'll see. 

Corbyn has the stench of death around him, he's poisoned the image of Labour to the extent nobody is going to vote for them IMO.

The slide will continue to their baseline hardcore will vote for anything with a red rosette foundation.

• Like 1

They have so many policies, they've got a separate one for each news cycle. 

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Tristram Hunt MP (Stoke on Trent Central) has quit triggering a by election. 

His seat had the highest percentage turnout for Brexit in the country.

Should be interesting.

*sung to the tune of Postman Pat*

'Tristram Hunt, Tristram Hunt

Is an ignorant . . .'

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They have so many policies, they've got a separate one for each news cycle. 

*sung to the tune of Postman Pat*

'Tristram Hunt, Tristram Hunt

Is an ignorant . . .'

I didn't even rate him as a historian and I'm a history geek. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ken comparing Corbyn to Trump and Farage I'm sure that's just the analogy to use after Corbyn has given his latest reboot attempt. 

At least he didn't mention Hitler...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I've just heard a very good section from a speech today by JC to the Fabian Society.

He suggests the tories need to buck up their ideas on health. They need to properly fund social care. A Labour government would get social care for the elderly properly funded and sort out expensive poorly run private care homes.

A bit more of that please Jezza. It's the stuff of important easy wins against the nasty party focused on profit and privatisation.

I was saying the other day, although the NHS and social care is an obvious win for Labour, now more than ever they need to make it their number one issue along side Brexit.

As has been hinted at earlier, even confused Conservative voters consider the NHS middle of the road and want to protect it. In fact they need it and need Labour more than they realise. It's getting them to realise which is the problem. 

27 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I was saying the other day, although the NHS and social care is an obvious win for Labour, now more than ever they need to make it their number one issue along side Brexit.

As has been hinted at earlier, even confused Conservative voters consider the NHS middle of the road and want to protect it. In fact they need it and need Labour more than they realise. It's getting them to realise which is the problem. 

I'm not sure Brexit needs to be their number one ? It's going to happen and Labour aren't going to stop it , to all extents it should rank about 593rd on their list 

i agree about social care , something needs to be done , I suspect Corbyns solution will be scrap Trident and tax the rich , neither of which are likely to get him elected ... the concern is He wants to  re-nationalise the railways and utility companies , save the NHS by chucking billions at it and then improve social care .... where is the money coming from ?  Even if we do opt for trident subs without the trident , it's still not going to be enough 

Edited by tonyh29

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not sure Brexit needs to be their number one ? It's going to happen and Labour aren't going to stop it , to all extents it should rank about 593rd on their list 

i agree about social care , something needs to be done , I suspect Corbyns solution will be scrap Trident and tax the rich , neither of which are likely to get him elected ... the concern is He wants to  re-nationalise the railways and utility companies , save the NHS by chucking billions at it and then improve social care .... where is the money coming from ?  Even if we do opt for trident subs without the trident , it's still not going to be enough 

Just on your first para, the purpose of policy as an opposition is not only to stop the government, but to you place yourself in a position where you can credibly say 'I told you so' in the future. The logical Labour Brexit position would be to favour the softest of soft Brexits, and then compare all future economic damage to that idealised position. It doesn't matter if that 'soft Brexit' deal is even a possibility, they just have to pretend that it is with sufficient conviction. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The logical Labour Brexit position would be to favour the softest of soft Brexits, and then compare all future economic damage to that idealised position. It doesn't matter if that 'soft Brexit' deal is even a possibility, they just have to pretend that it is with sufficient conviction. 

It's a shame they aren't doing that. There's a huge supporter base (48%+16/17 year olds who turn 18 soon) there to be won.

Â