The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Diane Abbott is underqualified to be Shadow Minster of Pisspot Nothing.

She's got the job for being one of the few loyal to Corbyn, and that's about it. Asides from perhaps their other historical connections. Ahem.

• Like 1

In 1987, Abbott became Britain’s first black female MP . Her record as a rebel Labour MP ensured that she was never offered ministerial office under Tony Blair or Gordon Brown; she voted against the Iraq war, ID cards, Trident and counter-terrorism legislation, including a high-profile role in the civil liberties’ campaign against 42-day pre-charge detention. Instead, she spent much of the 1990s campaigning on the Commons Treasury select committee and became a familiar personality on television.

All of the above puts her up in my opinion 

14 hours ago, darrenm said:

All of the above puts her up in my opinion 

she has some decent views, as can be seen above, but is an electoral liability, and gaffe prone. Not the wisest of choices for such a high profile position IMO. A liability rather than an asset. There were better candidates out there.

• Like 1

King Clive has also suffered a demotion of sorts. being moved from shadow defence to shadow business. Poor move from Jez. Clive is a big player and asset, and potential future leader. He didn't 100% toe the Jez line during conference (though most of the time he and Jez have been fairly close allies), and seems to have suffered as a result. Poor form Jez. 

• Like 1

Fear not Labour , sounds like Blair could be making a comeback to save you 

:crylaugh:

And he even had time time to get a line in about the current PM not being elected... guess he forgot what happened when he was forced out by some of his own party 

Edited by tonyh29

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

... sounds like Blair could be making a comeback...

Here's hoping he'll be languishing in a cell with Dubya and a psychotic bullfruit with a penchant for sexual assault instead.

4 hours ago, Jon said:

King Clive has also suffered a demotion of sorts. being moved from shadow defence to shadow business. Poor move from Jez. Clive is a big player and asset, and potential future leader. He didn't 100% toe the Jez line during conference (though most of the time he and Jez have been fairly close allies), and seems to have suffered as a result. Poor form Jez. 

Maybe it's the kinder, gentler, different kind of politics that lacks the backstabbery of that terrible, awful New Labour?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

Diane Abbott is underqualified to be Shadow Minster of Pisspot Nothing.

She's got the job for being one of the few loyal to Corbyn, and that's about it. Asides from perhaps their other historical connections. Ahem.

She's managed to sleep her way to the bottom.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon said:

Yes, and that's exactly the sort of thing that Corbyn does that makes him such a terrible leader (one of many things). They are unbelievably inept, the Corbyn crew.

• Like 2

Such is the state of our government and the opposition, a centrist party, even one lead by a god-bothering warmonger like Blair, almost sounds appealing. Not quite, but far more than I thought it would even a year ago.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Corbyn on his reshuffle. Nothing about ability, or experience. But at least they're diverse. Is he putting together an opposition to government, or an HR stock photograph ffs.

Following my re-election as Leader of the Labour party, I have made a number of new appointments to Labour’s shadow cabinet. For the first time, two of the three ‘great offices of state’ are shadowed by women. Once again, the shadow cabinet has a majority of women, and has more black and minority ethnic appointees than any shadow cabinet or cabinet ever.

I have acted to bring together a strong and diverse opposition leadership team. Our aim is to deliver what millions of people are demanding: a Labour party focussed on holding this divisive government to account and winning the next general election.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes, and that's exactly the sort of thing that Corbyn does that makes him such a terrible leader (one of many things). They are unbelievably inept, the Corbyn crew.

I don't disagree on that.  I don't think he's a good leader of a mass political party.  That's not his forte.  He is however a man of genuine and heartfelt beliefs, most of which I fully share, and that is why he is so popular amongst the politically minded left.  There's nobody else in the labour party genuinely offering that  (that would stand at this time anyway). Jones was a fraud and charlatan. Step forward king Clive 

If Blair's looking for a comeback, he's in the unusual situation of being able to choose between which party he wants to join. His beliefs fit best with the Conservative party, or he could join the party his dad liked and make that Tory instead. Again.

2 hours ago, peterms said:

You seem not to have read the second of the two paras you quoted.  Perhaps you were distracted.

He was previously criticised for the alleged lack of diversity of his team.  It seems that if he addresses that and mentions it, he will be attacked for that too.

This kind of comment really is playing to the agenda of the tory central office and the media barons, isn't  it?  Look, over there!  Never mind the slide towards xenophobia and crude populism.  Let's have a go at the makeup of Corbyn's shadow cabinet, then when he defends it, criticise him for not concentrating on the big issues. 

Do you know you are running someone else's script?  They probably don't even pay you.

i may be wrong but wasn't the criticism over his first shadow cabinet primarily  from within his own party at the lack of women ?

we keep hearing how Corbyn has his beliefs and principals that no Tory could ever have etc .... but surely this is just another example of him ditching his beliefs at the first sign of  criticism ? ( see ties and national anthems etc yes I know they are petty issues but it's late and I can't be arsed to go into his other beliefs that have been abandoned  )

if the men were the best candidates then give the job to the men , don't put Dianne bloody Abbott in a top job just cause she ticks 2 boxes for the price of one 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Corbyn on his reshuffle. ..... Is he putting together an opposition to government....

Good grief, no. That's not his style. His style is to find a group of like minded people and have some tea and biscuits, while making absolutely sure that none of the enemy ( you know, 80 % of labour MPs) get any sway or influence.

opposition to government, I've heard it all now, hahaha, very good.

• Like 2

Lo and behold, he's sacked his chief whip and the floor has fallen out of the whole thing already. Quelle surprise. 

Didn't even have the intelligence to wait to do it until everyone else was in place, so that they actually had to resign something meaningful. Instead everyone is using it as an excuse not to sign up. 

Â