The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Word on the street is he is doing great things to reduce pollution caused by motor vehicles, almost universal acclaim. Sadly doing nothing regarding the pollution caused by Boeing 747s using Kilburn High Road. 

Sort of related, I read today that SUVs cause more greenhouse gases and pollution than all the world's aviation. Over 10%.

As for that London and Sadiq Khan, He seems a bit full of himself at times, but capable and hard working.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

Sort of related, I read today that SUVs cause more greenhouse gases and pollution than all the world's aviation. Over 10%.

As for that London and Sadiq Khan, He seems a bit full of himself at times, but capable and hard working.

Yeah I would see him pop up on telly when I was staying London. Fairly arrogant to the point where I found him dislikeable. That's me though, I can't vote for him anyway and his actions don't directly effect me. 

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I would see him pop up on telly when I was staying London. Fairly arrogant to the point where I found him dislikeable

It's funny (peculiar, no haha), but I first heard an inteview with him on TMS a couple of years or so ago. It was mostly about his interest in cricket and stuff, obviously, but he didn't come across very well to me - like I said, a bit full of himself. But I later heard another interview with him about politics, maybe it was after all the Enfield ULEZ kerfuffle, but anyway, he came across really well in that one. So I'm sort of in two minds about him.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Sure, but how else can I pick up my toddler from the local nursery without 4x4? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SNP motion on calling for a Gaza ceasefire tomorrow and Labour under pressure to allow a free vote (Mods - please I beg tell me where the hell this goes, I've opted Labour??). Surely Starmer should just allow his shadow cab and others to vote with their conscience - I  mean it never harms him to be seen as the big mean right winger, electorally in the fabled red wall....

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

SNP motion on calling for a Gaza ceasefire tomorrow and Labour under pressure to allow a free vote (Mods - please I beg tell me where the hell this goes, I've opted Labour??). Surely Starmer should just allow his shadow cab and others to vote with their conscience - I  mean it never harms him to be seen as the big mean right winger, electorally in the fabled red wall....

Hmm. You seemingly want him to make a decision, which goes against ALL of his political instincts 😆

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Doubt the Red Wall voters are going to have Gaza very high on their list of priorities when they cast their votes.

It would be better though if political decisions were taken with more than that in mind.

I don't necessarily think that this is necessarily the issue, but the principle of doing things in politics because they're the right thing to do is probably a better one than the principle of doing whatever you think might get a hypothetical voter to vote for you.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It would be better though if political decisions were taken with more than that in mind.

I don't necessarily think that this is necessarily the issue, but the principle of doing things in politics because they're the right thing to do is probably a better one than the principle of doing whatever you think might get a hypothetical voter to vote for you.

You could argue that Jeremy Corbyn tried that, and here we are with a Tory Government. If you actually look at the policies that Corbyn championed, they’re pretty in line with what people are calling for now. Better public services, more workers rights etc. I voted for him in the Labour leadership election. My heart ruled my head on that one. The thing is, politics, sadly, is a cynical game. We’d all like to do what we think needs doing. But unless you actually win, you can’t do a damn thing. For what it’s worth, while I’m well to the left of Starmer, I think he’s playing the political game pretty well at the moment. If Labour win, Then the real arguments for meaningful change can begin, from a position of power. 

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Not actually sure if Piers Corbyn is Labour. I am sure, he isn't. 

He was a Labour councillor at one point but he's subsequently gone full fruit loop and hasn't been a member of the Labour party for years

Â