The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

just had a cheeky fiver on andy burnham next PM @ 100/1. probably unlikely but good odds.

Unless he's planning to quit his current Manchester roles, stand in one of the upcoming by-elections, become an MP and then immediately  become LOTO, then win the next election with Johnson still in post throughout all that.

He's 100/1 for a good reason.

Dunno. If he quits, it isn't going to make Johnson quit - he'll just ride it out, while Labour are in disarray. And I wouldn't have thought Labour would want Johnson to quit, anyway - the longer he stays there the more damage he does to his own party. A leadership change (for either party) would be bad for Labour, but good for the Tories. 

Edited by mjmooney

"Do you accept you jumped the gun when you said the PM should resign when he was being investigated?"

Starmer waves hands and answers a different question about the PM being issued a fine

"But he had not been fined when you said he should resign?"

Starmer starts talking about something else entirely in the hope nobody notices

Could be a cute move this. He’s offered his resignation if he’s found to have broken the rules. However, this incident has already been investigated once, and no offence was found to have been committed. Remember, this was a bona fide working meeting in an MPs constituency. Food was provided along with a beer within those parameters. Johnson was found not guilty when pictured doing just this in No 10s garden. Starmer  will have been shown offering to do the decent thing if found guilty of the same offence for which Johnson has already been fined. Puts Johnson in an awkward position if Starmer is found not guilty.

I read the opinion of one barrister who felt that, contrary to the Mail's opinion, the fact there was a meal planned in as part of the working day actually enhances the claim that it was part of the working day. The Mail seem to think it proves the opposite for some reason.

I am of the opinion that the fact it was planned as part of the day means it wasn't a "party" and means that there should be no fine. The only caveat to that is if they took it too far and it became a massive booze-up.

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think the tipple thread during this period demonstrated that we were all having a beer in the workplace. 

Are you suggesting we’re all doctors, nurses and teachers?

• Haha 3

Just now, Chindie said:

Expecting honour from a man who has none is daft. If Starmer is fined and resigns, Johnson will just view it as stupidity and weakness on his behalf.

and so will Boris’s supporters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Expecting honour from a man who has none is daft. If Starmer is fined and resigns, Johnson will just view it as stupidity and weakness on his behalf.

Yep. He’ll definitely see it as victory. He’s no intention of going for anything. All he’s interested in is power and holding onto it at all costs. He has no shame.

I'm sure he's very confident that he won't be fined and in that context this is a very good way to highlight the lack of integrity in the Prime Minister.

The lesson for Starmer is that cosying up the right wing press is a waste of time - they'll still stab him in the back at the first possible opportunity.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You are correct

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

and so will Boris’s supporters.

You are also correct

But in the venn diagram of potential Tory voters, this is actually a very small circle inside a much larger one and all those in the much larger circle and not in the small one will view it slightly differently

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The lesson for Starmer is that cosying up the right wing press is a waste of time - they'll still stab him in the back at the first possible opportunity.

Spoiler

This reason ber and curry night is a thing, is because someone took that photo. The press will feed off any scraps they are given, especially when it comes to the Labour Party

Who took the photo?

IIRC it was a left wing current or ex-member of the Labour Party who then gave the photo to "The Right WIng Press. " The enemy of my enemy is my friend an all that.

So it isn't entirely fair to blame the whole thing on the RWP (not the Revolutionary Workers Party).

You may be of the opinion that highlighting any rule-breaking by anyone is perfectly OK. You would have a very valid point but I'd have thought that should have been done through the Police and not the RWP

EDIT: Ignore the above it is wrong

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Who took the photo?

IIRC it was a left wing current or ex-member of the Labour Party who then gave the photo to "The Right WIng Press. " The enemy of my enemy is my friend an all that.

I read earlier that it was James Delingpole's son.

• Thanks 1

Â