The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I ask because I would assume that we would be most likely to adopt the same system as the PR system used if that ever happens (as path of least resistance). Maybe @chrisp65 knows if anyone in the Senedd has ever changed parties, or what would happen if they did?

Well… for some reason, the lunatic fringe on the right love a party change. There was a merry go round of defections between: UKIP, Reform, Independent Alliance, Brexit, Abolish, Conservative.

So short answer, some AM’s can swap parties, if they were directly elected. But, some AM’s are elected via a form of PR called the regional list. I don’t believe you can swap parties if you are a regional list draft, I can only find examples of people resigning, and being replaced by the next most popular candidate for their original party.

Simple.

• Thanks 1

The next meeting of the Bury CLP will probably be an absolute hoot. A load of people who have spent two and a half years loudly shouting about what a prick Christian Wakeford is, now seeing him stroll into the room as their new de facto boss. Would be amazing to see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I guess that Corbyn standing as an independent versus the official Labour candidate at the next election will make Islington North an interesting seat to keep an eye on. 

Why did they have a vote - I thought he's been told (ages ago) to essentially recant his comments on the anti-Semitism report and he can get the whip back, no problem. Has he done or said something on those lines? Or is it some of his fans on the NEC just stirring?

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Why did they have a vote - I thought he's been told (ages ago) to essentially recant his comments on the anti-Semitism report and he can get the whip back, no problem. Has he done or said something on those lines? Or is it some of his fans on the NEC just stirring?

*shrugs*

Not my area of expertise. I merely post stuff, I rarely claim to understand it. 

I quite think Starmer is making a good figure in his recent speeches. He might be dry, but he's a good orator and has actually got experience in life compared to many of the MP's in Parliament. The one thing he needs to be better at is throwing facts and figures at BoJo. I.e. this thing BoJo keeps regurgitating about us being the country in G7 that grows most. It's BS, we're simply recovering from the crap that is Brexit and disastrous leadership. He needs more facts and figures.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I quite think Starmer is making a good figure in his recent speeches. He might be dry, but he's a good orator and has actually got experience in life compared to many of the MP's in Parliament. The one thing he needs to be better at is throwing facts and figures at BoJo. I.e. this thing BoJo keeps regurgitating about us being the country in G7 that grows most. It's BS, we're simply recovering from the crap that is Brexit and disastrous leadership. He needs more facts and figures.

Really pisses me off that this isn't corrected every single time he comes out with it.  I've heard Rachel Reeves do it once but never Starmer.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Really pisses me off that this isn't corrected every single time he comes out with it.  I've heard Rachel Reeves do it once but never Starmer.

There's no point in correcting it. Johnson will just duck any retort, and if you call him a liar, you get thrown out of the Commons.

• Like 1

I hope they take some time to go full barrell at Boris for the Jimmy Savile and the drugs stuff.

If people are getting thrown out of the commons for saying Boris misled the house when he very obviously did, then surely falsely accusing the leader of the opposition of not prosecuting a paedophile is worth of some sort of punishment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I hope they take some time to go full barrell at Boris for the Jimmy Savile and the drugs stuff.

If people are getting thrown out of the commons for saying Boris misled the house when he very obviously did, then surely falsely accusing the leader of the opposition of not prosecuting a paedophile is worth of some sort of punishment.

Johnson did nothing officially wrong by the rules of the system though. As disgusting as that is.

I think Labour need to address it but also as part of the wider argument for change in our politics and our political system.

Johnson, his current Tory party and what he was allowed to do yesterday are a symptom but they aren’t the cause. The cause is a diseased voting system where we’ve never had a government which the majority voted for. Archaic rules on what can and can’t be said, conduct in public office including rules on lobbying and donations which are open to abuse and an Unelected 2nd chamber where peers serve for life. It’s beyond a joke. It’s not representative of the country and it’s not fit for the modern world.

He needs to stand up and address the untruth that was uttered by that man under his parliamentary privilege to do so but then also address the system that’s allowing him to get away with it.

The thing about it is, the incumbent cannot ever make a pitch for change. It doesn’t work that way. So he’s actually in a great position to come out and say that at the next election a vote for him will mean a complete revamp of the system, potentially PR or a version of it, a constitutional convention with the devolved nations about an elected second chamber and a proper written constitution and a thorough review of the parliamentary rules, all of them. He needs to pitch to fix the system.

16 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

He needs to stand up and address the untruth that was uttered by that man under his parliamentary privilege to do so but then also address the system that’s allowing him to get away with it.

I accept a chunk of your analysis, but not the quoted bit.

He absolutely shouldn't address the lie that Johnson spouted any further than he already has. That changes the narrative to something Johnson would love to talk about, which is an untrue lie, rather than the misleading Parliament and parties stuff, which Johnson is desperate to bury.

Let the (few) decent tories and others refute the lie about when he was DPP and stay above the mud the pig is rolling in.

Johnson is the/a major cause, too of the current mess of the Government behaving appallingly. Yes the voting system is not fit for purpose, and the parliamentary rules are archaic and need sorting out, but it's that bell end that has a cabinet of the inept and who cast out anyone remotely competent and...well the list is too long to go into here. He is the driver for the current shitshow. No integrity, decency, honour, responsibility  - a compete charlatan and word removed.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes - Boris vowed yesterday to clean up number 10. Minutes later he randomly makes reference to a child abuser. 

He won't ever resign - he has no honour - he's still there because he would have no qualms about destroying his own party to save his ass - he wouldn't go quietly . Very trump like really  

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

I accept a chunk of your analysis, but not the quoted bit.

He absolutely shouldn't address the lie that Johnson spouted any further than he already has. That changes the narrative to something Johnson would love to talk about, which is an untrue lie, rather than the misleading Parliament and parties stuff, which Johnson is desperate to bury.

Let the (few) decent tories and others refute the lie about when he was DPP and stay above the mud the pig is rolling in.

Johnson is the/a major cause, too of the current mess of the Government behaving appallingly. Yes the voting system is not fit for purpose, and the parliamentary rules are archaic and need sorting out, but it's that bell end that has a cabinet of the inept and who cast out anyone remotely competent and...well the list is too long to go into here. He is the driver for the current shitshow. No integrity, decency, honour, responsibility  - a compete charlatan and word removed.

This many times, I was about to post similar. In this age, you repeat or deny a lie and it becomes more thruthful in many peoples minds. Leave it, drop it, ignore it. The Saville lie isn't worth pursuing at this stage

General Krulak's wise words spring to mind here.

• Like 2

This has the racist gammons slavering with delight. 

Disgraced former Labour peer Lord Ahmed of Rotherham has been jailed for five and a half years for sexually abusing two children in the 1970s.

BBC

Â