Ratings and Reactions: Villa - Everton

limpid

yeah initially i thought Given was a bit weak, but watching the replay as Given jumps and is in the air Coleman moves away and pulls him causing him to miss the ball

not impressed with all the villa players just standing there watching though, play to the whistle. i think we still look a bit too error prone generally at the back.

cant argue with the performance in the main though. i was a bit concerned when sherwood came in that we would just resort to long ball up to benteke, trying to play on the break all the time, however, some of our passing is superb, some lovely one touch pass and move in the final third. we keep the ball well and are able to move it around well in the final third, something we couldnt do under lambert.

we attack down the wings, down the middle, go direct when needed - a great balance at the moment. 

3 absolutely huge points right there. Some of the best football I've seen at Villa in all my years watching them today, we tore Everton apart at times. Brilliant to see. 

Benteke, Clevz, Westwood, Bacuna and Delph the real stand outs but everyone played great, no one had a poor game really. 

• Like 1

I don't want to start a Sherwood vs Lambert thread here, but I just can't believe how different the players are playing now.

Delph always looked like he could be our best midfielder and an England player - but never really did enough in most games or consistently. Now he looks awesome.

Cleverly when he joined looked like a waste of a loan signing, another defensive sideways passing clogger when we'd already got Westwood and Sanchez. Since Sherwood came in he's looked completely different, you can understand why he played for England.

Much the same can be said for Zog and to a lesser extent Bacuna and even Richardson who was looks like he's actually settling into that left back position.

The decision to play Grealish every week has never been so bold and so beautiful either!

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

Biggest win all season.

Clattenburg has always been a top referee, but the bit I saw of the game was beyond comprehension. Almost too bad to be innocent.

Which makes it a massive result. 

Given clearly fouled but I doubt Guzan would have been, because he seems a bit more aggressive in those situations. But Guzan may not have done so well with other stuff.

Vlaar stupid for the penalty, but wise to give away the FK and yellow just after.

Thank you Sherwood. I have been working in Cleveland all week and off to work in Vienna on Monday and you have made my weekend. Villa will stay up and I am so looking forward to next season.

That was a great performance and they all played their part. And against the in form team of the moment. Should have been more comfortable, we were so much better and had a number of good chances we did not take, and that second goal was a clear foul that most referees would have given. I do not usually comment on referees because they do have a tough job, but he actually looked biased. And despite his reluctance to produce yellow cards, he still managed to book Given for an entirely justified protest.

A big step forward, we are getting very close to safety. 

Brilliant performance with pressure on. We really aren't playing like a team in a relegation battle: in a good way. We look much too confident, especially going forward. Delph was MOTM, absolutely fantastic today - it was a real worry when I thought he'd done his ankle in first half. Cleverley and Westwood good too, you can see the confidence in the former which he completely lacked  earlier in season. Benteke did what he does. Grealish and N'Zogbia were sometimes a bit peripheral but both contributed, esp from set pieces.

Defence wasn't watertight, but generally limited Everton to few chances. Barry I'm not sure I've seen play worse, stunned that Martinez chose not to sub him or McCarthy when both made so many errors & poor passes. 

Ref made so many wrong and inconsistent calls it beggars belief. Everton got away with persistent fouling all match, several times he played advantage when a free kick would be much more advantageous & both their goals rested on questionable decisions. The first one, while I can see the case for a foul, he could just as easily called against Naismith on Vlaar moments earlier and Naismith went down very easily, as forwards always will in that position. also I thought they looked offside when it was played forward in the build-up (though I don't think I saw replay to clarify that). The second was definite impeding on Given, refs are usually quick to give fouls on keepers in those situations and if ref couldn't see it, linesman should have done. 

Great performance and result. Everyone played well.

Richardson has been criticised in previous weeks, but fair play - he didn't make any obvious errors today.

We do look open at the back, but I don't think thats down to the players. We are playing such an attacking style, that we are going to concede goals and give chances away. We are playing two wingers at full back!

Last week we lost 3-2 but could easily have won or drawn. This week we won 3-2. We aren't drawing many games, because we are trying to win every game. A win and a defeat is better than 2 draws.

Keep it up Tim. 

I particularly enjoyed watching Grealish sit some Everton defender on his arse.....

I'd love to see a gif of this!

Good performance, great result against one of the most in-form teams in the country, without the appauling refereeing it would have been far more comfortable

Â