Ratings and Reactions: Villa - Everton

limpid

To be clear. Given was fouled and foul should have been called.

However, Given should be disappointed in himself there. The contact was illegal, but would have been a fair charge between 2 midfielders in the center of the pitch. Shay was not in the air when contact was made, so he should have been more stable and managed the ball much better. Need to be stronger under contact.

All that said, it was ridiculous not to give the foul.

Edited by srsmithusa

That move on 20 odd minutes was 49 passes and was only stopped by a foul on delph, who actually had put grealish in who could in turn have put tekkers in if crapenburg had played advantage.

I counted it as 48, Sherwood out!

But yeah remember watching it at the game and making sure I noted it on game of the day, loved this as it wasn't just meaningless passing it was probing at them looking for that opening and took Delph being hacked down to stop it, love it!

I started clapping the control after the first few passes and hands were sore by the time delph was fouled....what was really encouraging was for a change virtually nobody was saying " get it forward" or any of the variations we hear....the crowd could tell that, as you say, it was genuine probing pass and move football.

To be honest, apart from the semi final, it was my favourite two minutes of the season.

• Like 2

The result was everything yesterday,good to see villa playing football again and starting to know what the game is about. Vllar always looks half the player playing on the left side and tends to overdo things from there, westwood,delpth, cleverly all had good games and the work rate in there is awesome. The zogs best game but that wasn't hard to achieve, the substitutions were strange yesterday weiman should have replaced zog to harass that back line and attempt to keep them occupied. Tekkers and grealish just frighten the life out of defenders, the panic these two cause when on song is visible. Clattendurg was a diva for everton and saw things that only existed in his world and not on this planet. 

However, Given should be disappointed in himself there. The contact was illegal, but would have been a fair charge between 2 midfielders in the center of the pitch. Shay was not in the air when contact was made, so he should have been more stable and managed the ball much better. Need to be stronger under contact.

He was pulling on Given's arm, not sure what more Given could do. There was no way he was getting a good enough leap to clear the ball.

He was pulling on Given's arm, not sure what more Given could do. There was no way he was getting a good enough leap to clear the ball.

I'm with srsmith

Its a foul at the end of the day, so it shouldn't have stood.

But Given is weak there. He should be outmuscling Coleman there regardless.

Guzan keeps that out I reckon.

• Like 1

I think I agree.

However, I'm not going to knock a player for being clearly fouled and not being "strong enough" to ride it out. I thought overall he oozed confidence and it has been a while since I've felt that way with Brad.

Earned his spot and has done enough to keep it.

He did fine.

But like I said elsewhere, that's what you get with Shay. Those shaky moments on high balls and crosses.

If we're playing him for the rest of the season then this will be something we'll have to accept. Vs an allardyce team next week it would worry me.

What an earth was Clattenburg doing when Grealish kept getting chopped down and Clattenburg just kept making gestures for him to get back up?

If Grealish is being fouled then that's the wrong sign for playing advantage.

If he's not being fouled then WTF is the silly get up arm movements about?

Bacuna's pass and Cleverley's goal gave me a 'happy ending...'

Clattenburg - meh. Bitter Geordie innit...

Great performance again with some super interplay and passing once more. And Benteke, Beneteke, Benteke's on fire...

Not sure about the bobble on Richardson's head, but we won, so really don't care... I would buy them all a nice tall glass of orange juice this week.

How long can we keep this going? :)

Â