Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Guzan has always had to fight for a place, so I doubt he'd have taken that much offence, just taken it as a spur to do better. Other than Ospina, I don't think there are many other keepers I'd see as better or equal to Brad in our price range.

If Given starts season as first choice I give him 5 games before he is dropped , he is looking his age now and just zero ability to control his area every time a high ball goes in we look vulnerable with him there.

A good pro but he should never have been brought for the money we paid or the wages we have given him.

Carroll has potential but I always feel he is an idiot that he turned down spell on loan at Ajax for a role at QPR

I think he was correct there,  Dutch football is Championship standard at best IMO.  Ajax have a nice big stadium but that's about it.  Even Dutch people don't talk about Dutch football much.

Carroll has potential but I always feel he is an idiot that he turned down spell on loan at Ajax for a role at QPR

I think he was correct there, Dutch football is Championship standard at best IMO. Ajax have a nice big stadium but that's about it. Even Dutch people don't talk about Dutch football much.

I think that's a bit harsh. It's not as good as a few years ago with players like Suarez, Vertonghen or Eriksen, but the top teams are still better than championship standards

I think he was correct there, Dutch football is Championship standard at best IMO. Ajax have a nice big stadium but that's about it. Even Dutch people don't talk about Dutch football much.

I think that's a bit harsh. It's not as good as a few years ago with players like Suarez, Vertonghen or Eriksen, but the top teams are still better than championship standards

PSV's team is full of potential too. Like the left back Willems and attacking mid Maher. Not to mention Depay is at United. There is a big central striker too called Locadia, looks a bit of a beast, didn't have such a good goalscoring record last season mind. Dutch football is a lot better than the Championship. Wouldn't mind a couple of players from the Dutch league. After all, that is where Bouma came from!

Edited by BigCarew
  • Like 1

now that villa isnt signing becovic, does this mean the club will need to grovel back to guzan?

I don’t think you ever have to grovel back to a player that is part of your squad and is being paid very handsomely do you? bottom line is Guzan had a dip in form and was dropped. The manager as is his right it seems is looking at alternatives with the intention to improve the goalkeeping position. If no better alternative is found and Guzan is picked at the start of the season you’d like to think he will be determined to prove the manager wrong for dropping him and then looking to replace him.

I'd like to think that Guzan will show the same attitude as Hutton did who was certainly treated far worse having been banished to train with the youth team and not getting a sniff of first team action for two years.

• Like 4

Christian Benteke is not keen on a move to Tottenham even if they agree a transfer with Aston Villa.

Benteke has been linked with a summer switch to White Hart Lane which would see Emmanuel Adebayor go the other way.

But Standard Sport understands the Belgium striker remains unhappy with the way Spurs acted when they tried to buy him two years ago and his preference is a move to Liverpool.

Benteke handed in a transfer request in 2013 because he thought Spurs were about to offer Villa £25million.

However, no bid was made, leaving Benteke in an awkward position and he eventually signed a new contract at Villa Park.

It is believed that chain of events has made Benteke wary of another approach from Spurs.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-transfer-news-325m-christian-benteke-set-to-snub-spurs-even-if-deal-is-agreed-10355153.html

Christian Benteke is not keen on a move to Tottenham even if they agree a transfer with Aston Villa.

Benteke has been linked with a summer switch to White Hart Lane which would see Emmanuel Adebayor go the other way.

But Standard Sport understands the Belgium striker remains unhappy with the way Spurs acted when they tried to buy him two years ago and his preference is a move to Liverpool.

Benteke handed in a transfer request in 2013 because he thought Spurs were about to offer Villa £25million.

However, no bid was made, leaving Benteke in an awkward position and he eventually signed a new contract at Villa Park.

It is believed that chain of events has made Benteke wary of another approach from Spurs.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-transfer-news-325m-christian-benteke-set-to-snub-spurs-even-if-deal-is-agreed-10355153.html

What a strange article.....interested in Benteke who they peeved off before and then it looks like they are likely to not spend more than 15m for any one player.

Let's says, we are interested in Messi but we are not at the level he needs and we are unlikely to spend more than 5m on a player. About the same effect

Some have amazing academies and some of the players to come out of the Dutch league have/are world class. 

Sulley Muntari contract ended by mutual consent with AC Milan. He was sent home early from the world cup last year so not sure where his head will be at after this latest knock back. If he has the motivation and could repeat earlier form (he was exceptional at Pompey) I'd at least have a chat with him and possibly sign him up for a year or two. His best days are probably over though to be fair.

Well to be honest Liverpool are not really doing much better are they as despite being told there no negotiation on price they are offering a half arsed offer with some players they don't want.

• Like 1

Sulley Muntari contract ended by mutual consent with AC Milan. He was sent home early from the world cup last year so not sure where his head will be at after this latest knock back. If he has the motivation and could repeat earlier form (he was exceptional at Pompey) I'd at least have a chat with him and possibly sign him up for a year or two. His best days are probably over though to be fair.

I think you even managed to persuade yourself out of that one villanwesty   ;)

• Like 3