Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Although I admit goalkeeper isn't a priority am I the only one that thinks Begovic is a top keeper and would be a massive signing and even a statement of our intentions?

He's not a top keeper.

He'd be a very good replacement for Guzan if we are set on replacing Guzan.

I just think it's a totally unnecessary signing

An unnecessary signing if it means we have no money left. But if we then go and sign decent players in positions that are needed then I'd have no problem with it.

FWIW I don't think it will happen anyway.

I'd still rather we'd have kept Guzan and spent the £10m on a decent centreback, or fullback or whatever.

I'd be very surprised if we fill all of the priorities that are ahead of goalkeeper (which is most areas of the team)

Although I admit goalkeeper isn't a priority am I the only one that thinks Begovic is a top keeper and would be a massive signing and even a statement of our intentions?

He's not a top keeper.

He'd be a very good replacement for Guzan if we are set on replacing Guzan.

I just think it's a totally unnecessary signing

An unnecessary signing if it means we have no money left. But if we then go and sign decent players in positions that are needed then I'd have no problem with it.

FWIW I don't think it will happen anyway.

I'd still rather we'd have kept Guzan and spent the £10m on a decent centreback, or fullback or whatever.

I'd be very surprised if we fill all of the priorities that are ahead of goalkeeper (which is most areas of the team)

I have this feeling there will be a lot of fans surprised this summer and this is coming from a fan that had practically given up on the club under Lerner.

At present it seems like we actually have some common sense in charge with Fox and Sherwood and I'll like to believe they can see which areas are most important to rectify and will make this happen.

Re new owners I have no idea how it would work but if it is close to happening then surely discussion with Fox and Sherwood will have taken place in regards to their intentions?

Or would it be BAU but you could be out of a job in a few weeks?

Its chicken and egg.

Get a well organised defence that prevents the keeper being pressurised and relying on him to bail them out. Or get a keeper with real talent at organising a defence to give them confidence and direction so they play better preventing the keeper being pressurised etc etc. 

Given in his heyday was a fantastic shot stopper - but he's flappy as **** from crosses and that presents us with risks given our defence at times can't be relied on to deal with them. 

I'd rather personally we overhauled both positions but its a close call as to which will provide the most bang for the buck. 

Chelsea would have some players we could loan... Romeu was highly rated at one point, maybe worth a gamble on?

hope we dont go down that route. You cant build for the future by signing loan players. 

I disagree.

Firstly, loan players often end up permanently joining the club. Taking Lukaku as an example, I don't think he would have joined Everton straight from Chelsea on a permanent deal. In summary, potentially better quality joining as a result of a loan.

Secondly, if the loan player(s) can contribute to finishing higher in the league we are more likely to be able to attract better permanent signings due to our league position.

Lastly, financially speaking, loan deals aren't as risky. If it doesn't work out, send them packing. If it does, try to sign them. For a club to build, we need as few "flops" as possible. Loan routes can highlight in advance if they will be a flop or not. Yes, we might miss out on the permanent signing but if we do that means we have had at least one good season from that player.

Keeper is literally the last position that needs strengthening. Unless we have truckloads to spend,...it's a waste of our transfer budget

giphy.gif
I also agree. If we improve the players out on the pitch it will make Brad's job easier and won't be faced with a rediculous amount of shots at him each game. We were one of the worst for preventing shots in the league last season weren't we?

Well this is a fallacy, we are pretty much bang in middle in terms of shots faced. But 3rd/joint 2nd worse in terms of shots faced to goals conceded.

image.jpg

Stats. Yawn.

I prefer to watch the matches and make an opinion. 

Maybe you saw specific matches which left an impression on you but based on the whole season a  better goalkeeper + better defence should definitely be a high priority as its showing other teams need to shoot the fewest times to score a goal against us than against any other team (except newcastle).

Edited by isaid
  • Like 1

Yes Cleverley is an example of a good loan signing but we are still facing the problem of forking out money to replace him. I think the whole loan business is wrong anyway.

I like loans with an option to buy, where there is a set fee where we decide if it's worth it or not.

Cech has gone to Arsenal for £11m with a year on his contract left. Begovic is younger but not as good, so £10m should be the upper limit if you ask me. It would be an extravagant signing for a club on a limited budget, so I'm hoping there's something up our sleeve with the takeover.

Keeper is literally the last position that needs strengthening. Unless we have truckloads to spend,...it's a waste of our transfer budget

giphy.gif
I also agree. If we improve the players out on the pitch it will make Brad's job easier and won't be faced with a rediculous amount of shots at him each game. We were one of the worst for preventing shots in the league last season weren't we?

Well this is a fallacy, we are pretty much bang in middle in terms of shots faced. But 3rd/joint 2nd worse in terms of shots faced to goals conceded.

image.jpg

I know it's a statistic, but this is over an entire defensive unit.  We were obviously susceptible defensively... just like everyone knew Newcastle, Q.P.R. and Liverpool were - even Tottenham to an extent, and people here are tipping Lloris to be De Gea's replacement.

Whilst it obviously disagrees with the previous post r.e: amount of shots faced, I don't feel it accurately displays Guzan's performances.  But, as others have said, this is more from a feeling of watching games. For example, I think this particular chart shows Pantilimon in a very favourable light because the defence in front of him was absolute garbage.

Chelsea would have some players we could loan... Romeu was highly rated at one point, maybe worth a gamble on?

hope we dont go down that route. You cant build for the future by signing loan players. 

I disagree.

Firstly, loan players often end up permanently joining the club. Taking Lukaku as an example, I don't think he would have joined Everton straight from Chelsea on a permanent deal. In summary, potentially better quality joining as a result of a loan.

Secondly, if the loan player(s) can contribute to finishing higher in the league we are more likely to be able to attract better permanent signings due to our league position.

Lastly, financially speaking, loan deals aren't as risky. If it doesn't work out, send them packing. If it does, try to sign them. For a club to build, we need as few "flops" as possible. Loan routes can highlight in advance if they will be a flop or not. Yes, we might miss out on the permanent signing but if we do that means we have had at least one good season from that player.

I agree with your first and second points on here, and they do make going into the loan market an attractive proposition, however they can still be risky financially (especially if we are still trying to balance the books). For us to get a 'big-name' loan signing (Salah, Cuadrado etc)in for a season we will typically have to pay an upfront fee and cover a large percentage of the wages. If after 2-3 games it doesn't look like it is working out, you can't just send them back as they are registered to you until at least January and you will still have to cover these costs. Also, if the rumours around the Cleverley deal are to be believed, then the parent club can request that the player starts if fit- even if he is garbage. The problem is that if these sort of players become available and we don't agree to these terms, then one of our rivals will and we could end up worse off.

I've said this once before but the signing of a better keeper could be the difference in another scrap to stay up or a few more points. Pundits talk about a good keeper netting a team X amount of extra points.

Sherwood isn't convinced with either of our keepers, so ultimately if that what he deems as a "priority" then so be it. We were all talking about who he's go for, being his his first summer in charge.

Richards & Begovic are head/shoulders over the last summer signings in my view. If this is our new level of signings I'm all for it

Havent seen anything suggesting it whatsoever, so this isnt ITK in any way, shape or form...

But as he is a free agent, how would people feel about signing Glenn Johnson?

Ill.

Havent seen anything suggesting it whatsoever, so this isnt ITK in any way, shape or form...

But as he is a free agent, how would people feel about signing Glenn Johnson?

I'd rather eat my own feet than sign Johnson

giphy.gif

image.jpg

So my detailed analysis suggests all we need to do is make sure we face less shots and we will be formidable!  ;)

Shit no.  We also have to save more dam it.   OK, competent but busy then!!

Edited by Gary Thomas